2011 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great Car
By GES on 08/21/10 11:51 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased this car to replace a 2003 Forester that was still going strong with 115,000 miles. So far, the new Outback has exceed our expectations in every way. Great mileage (30-31 on Highway). Quiet ride. Handles great. Plenty of power when needed. Solid build. We love this car.

Just back from a 4100 mile trip
By Calvin Wilvert on 08/18/10 22:02 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Two days after we bought our 2011 Outback, we left on a five-week, 4100 mile camping trip in the Northwest. Even with a lot of mountain driving and with frequent use of the air- conditioner, gas consumption for the trip averaged slightly over 30 miles per gallon. At all times, the car handled well, was comfortable, and felt safe. I did not experience any steering vibration that a few reviewers have noted. Indeed, I liked communicative feel imparted by the steering. Driving this fine vehicle was a pleasure, and I felt less tired after hours behind the wheel than I have with any other car I have owned. More pep on steep hills would have been fun, but the power is adequate.

Love it!
By Damage450 on 08/18/10 07:19 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our first Subaru ever in July of 2010 and we couldn't be happier. The car rides great, is comfortable, has plenty of cargo room, and gets great fuel mileage. We are averaging 31.8 MPG over the first 1500 miles we have put on it. Now, we do drive the speed limit so I am sure that helps.

2011 2.5i Limited
By Chris K on 08/17/10 07:24 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Here's an honest review- this car is not a 9.2 out of 10. Negatives: It handles like an SUV (slow, top heavy, and no where near nimble). The fit and finish are a little off (hard plastic dash, some spacing is a little off on dash parts, etc.), and the only desirable option (the v6) is WAY overpriced compared to other manufacturers. Positives: Comfort, ergonomics, storage, all wheel drive, safety. and gas mileage. Arguably styling as well, from my point of view the less "wagony" looking the better. Overall: you are not getting a BMW ride/performance, or Mercedes plush, what you are getting is a safe, dependable, sure footed, practical car for the modern family.

Great in the mountains!
By The Outback Rocks on 08/16/10 22:45 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have over 3000 miles on my 2011 Outback and have been very happy. It has a smooth quite ride with plenty of power for hills and passing other cars. The front seats are firm and comfortable for long trips and the rear seat room is the best on the market. I have taken it to the Sierra, in California, twice and it was very impressive. Driving up the steep grades was no problem and it handled the trails around Crowley Lake like a champ. The AC works well and keeps the inside cool and comfortable even when itís well over 100 outside. There is enough space for a full size spare, which I added. I tried the hill assist mode on a steep hill and it worked as intended with no backward motion

Outfitted w/3rd party Hand Controls
By Naboo on 08/16/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the Subaru Outback LTD (no NAV) to replace my old SUV. Been driving truck based SUVs for 20 years. Had hand controls installed to assist with my MS related issues. So far as ADA vehicle it has been great. no issues with gas on the other side. Spent lots of time checking out vehicles on-line, through friends and finally did the sit test for MS - ingress/egress on several types of vehicles. The Subaru Outback was the easiest for in/out - even better than the Forester. Although I have long legs and am used to trucks - it has been a nice ride and wonderful to have better MPG. love the light interior as well.

2011 Outback First Impressions
By hamuller on 08/11/10 10:01 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After my 2000 Forester my outback seems huge. It is a giant step forward in comfort. The CVT tranny is extremely smooth. As I have only had the car for two days I can't comment on the fuel economy yet. If it is as advertised I will be happy. I agree with the Edmund's test drive that the steering is a little "numb" compared to the Forester but overall I'm extremely satisfied so far. My wife loves the smooth, comfortable ride. I will write a follow up after I've had it a while.

Overall it's a great car
By JHK on 08/11/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking for a smaller SUV with better gas mileage than our current Honda Pilot (which we loved), but wanted plenty of cargo space. Narrowed down to the Chevy Equinox and Subaru Outback. Both were good, but the OB had better reputation for quality. I wanted the 4 cylinder for the gas mileage, but my wife convinced me to get the 6 cylinder for better performance. I'm glad I did. The 6 cylinder has a lot of zip for the freeway, is a lot quieter than the 4 cylinder and, frankly, is a lot of fun to drive (after 7 years with the Pilot). Gas mileage is good. I commute from the suburbs and average slightly over 23 mpg. Plenty of cargo space. Good lucking. Really well designed.

Enjoyable drive
By arnab1 on 08/09/10 15:59 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Got my first Subaru (Outback 2.5i Premium). Decided it over CX-7 and CR- V. Took a test drive and we (my wife and I) really loved it. Bought the next day. Ride is really smooth. Gas, hmm, getting about 25 mpg in city traffic. Loved the compass on the mirror. Less noisy than the last model. Overall its a sport SUV with a sedan like handling.

My OB
By tmccln on 08/09/10 06:44 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just purchased my OB last week and I was a former owner of a Honda CR-V. I started having problems with the CRV Air Condenser. Last year I had to have my air conditioner replaced to the tune of $700 plus, because there was a hole in the condenser they said. Less than 6 months later, my air conditioner went out again. I refused to get it fixed. I instead endured driving during those hot, hot summer days. All I could think about was trading it in for a more reliable car that didn't have a condenser exposed to the outside elements. Needless to say I did my research and decided on the Outback. I couldn't be happier.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$100 per month*