Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

amazing snow performance
By firstsuby

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

First big snow fall in the begining of the month 17" here in southern New Jersey and the outback handled great. Took it into a unplowed parking lot and no trouble cutting through with origonal tires on it. I tryed to get it stuck by stoping and starting a few times with no luck. Could feel the power being shifted to different wheels a few times when i was going through a deep drift but it kept going. Turn off the vdc and went through the drifts with no problem. My onlly problem is we havent had any more big snow falls to play in. This is my first subaru and im amazed at how good it performs!!

Snow and ice performance.

Drivers seat recall, bigger control knobs for heater , radio, side view mirrors,and automatic trunk door opener.

Amazing family car
By johnyoo

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Starting a new family, I had to give up my compact and this was the best choice for us. Great power, spacious interior (key for car seats), cargo room, AWD, and reasonable fuel economy. Primarily looked at a Murano which was more luxurious, but a bit smaller cargo-wise and you need to run it on premium so went with the Subaru. After about 3k miles I'm glad we did. It's extremely comfortable on the roads and was a lifesaver in the recent snowstorms. It doesn't handle as well as the cars I'm used to, but I didn't expect super crisp handling going into a larger vehicle. I wish some of the tech was more up to date, but it's good enough for our needs and should serve us well.

VTD AWD, Boxer 6, reclining rear seatback, tonneau cover storage, ride height, rearview camera in the rearview mirror

Head unit needs to be better, the HK system is ok, but could be improved, and a power liftgate would be a nice convenience. Can't think of anything else!

First Subaru
By bstarr11

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought our Subaru just one month ago. Still love to take it out on the road any chance we get. Can't believe how smooth the CVT trans is. The boxer engine is plenty strong enough for this auto. Responds nicely when the step on it even a little. I always opt for the more powerful 6 cylinder when it is available. Although, we stayed with the four on this one due to rising fuel costs. Glad we did as this crossover tops the list in fuel conservation. Our main reason for trading in our Toyota Rav4 was driver seat comfort. With Subaru not an issue the seats are great and taking it out for a few hours doesn't effect my back as others have. This is a sleek well built SUV, I am thoroughly enjoying

Rear view camera in mirror and leather interior are an excellent combination. Radio is awesome, sounds great with satellite radio. Love classic rock and the station choice is nice.

Maybe automatic steering wheel tilt and telescope as my Tudra has. Other than that the Subaru is awesome and needs nothing else.

Lovin' Ruby Subie
By bmccarter

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought Ruby January 3, 2011 after 3-month search. Considered Santa Fe, Sorento, Mazda CX-7, Rav-4, CR-V. Liked the lower profile vs. the taller SUV types, yet has good visibility and elevated driving position. Was worried 2.5 might not be peppy enough, but it's fine, especially for fiancee, who loves the car. I Like the CVT just fine, although I drove the 6-cyl too and really liked that engine. With gas heading back up it just made more sense to get the 2.5. Of all the cars I drove Ruby had the best balance. That is, she's comfortable, looks good, practical, has great storage, should be reliable, gets great gas mileage for a car in this class, has good technology and build quality.

Comfortable seats and ride Good build quality CVT Bluetooth hands-free works great. But I didn't realize radio must be on for incoming calls to be answered through steering wheel controls. Plenty of storage Back-up camera is a nice touch

The upgraded stereo, while better than the base model, is not quite as good as I hoped. Maybe it lacks hi definition, as another reviewer said. But fiancee listens mostly to talk radio on XM, which is great, so it's not too big a deal. Ruby has a little more road noise than I'd prefer, though not nearly as much as Toyota or Honda.

Am impressed with the 2.5i
By dhs1204

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the Outback 2.5i after an accident in the snow (hit and run) that left my Prius on the side while I was going 5 mph. I was looking for an AWD wagon for under 30k that could fit my family of three and two mid size dogs. Requirements were simple: I had to be able to sit behind myself, and there needed to be enough headroom so that my head did not hit the roof. Wants were good radio, quiet highway ride, fuel economy and performance. The needs narrowed it down to a few cars, most of which had too high of a center of gravity. Only the outback and forester made the initial cut. I chose the outback limited because it felt like it was designed to be upscale. 2.5i to keep it under 30k

Fit and finish are excellent. Interior feels luxury. I am not sure how it will hold up, though. Radio is the best oem I have had. I am happy with the fuel economy: 20 around town, and close to 30 on the highway. Highway noise is low. Seats are comfortable. Easy entry and exit.

I would like a tighter suspension. I know I do not have a performance car, but It would be nice to have a better ride. I would like to have the option of the 2.5 turbo. The sun roof shrunk from the previous version.