2011 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
1st Subaru
By A.J. on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased Subaru for my wife. Just moved to Vermont so her corolla would'nt make the winters there. I drive an Audi. After taking the outback for a 3rd test drive. We could not see spending the additional money for the Audi Q5. The Subaru is truly priced well from the get go, and is an excellent value. The steering is not numb and my wife feels it is "FUN" to drive. Now i know why it seems to be the Vermont state car. A.J.E.

Excellent choice
By Jim on 09/08/10 15:48 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first Subaru. Very pleased with the ride and gas mileage. It has a real solid feel and is very comfortable. The harmon kardon upgrade was worth it.

Big Transition, Big Suprise
By jrollins12574 on 09/02/10 07:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my 05 Dodge Durango SLT (w/ Hemi)for my Outback. I was looking for AWD & better gas mileage, 2 weeks later I'm very happy with my purchase. The 2.5 L engine has more power than I thought it would and the gas mileage has been averaging around 26 MPG (I live in a rural area with a lot of hills). My Outback handles very well, of course I'm comparing it to my old Durango. The Outback has a surprising amount of cargo room & the interior is very comfortable. The All Weather Package is a nice touch - I'm looking forward to having heated seats and mirrors this winter. The only thing that seems goofy is that when I first start it up, the car seems to hesitate, but runs fine after warming up.

27 years with Honda and now a Subaru
By Bill L on 08/29/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my Outback now for a little over a month. I have taken one long trip and averaged 30 mpg Highway while going just a tad over the speed limit. Around town I am getting 22 mpg and i have just over 1,000 miles of driving. This is my first non Honda in 27 years I have always liked Subaru but until now, never had one of my own. I really think Subaru makes a great product, unlike other manufacturers they haven't cut corners where it really matters. It rides great, and from various reviews read it has passed with flying colors as a safe drive. So far I am really enjoying this car and i can understand why Subaru owners are loyal to what they drive

3000 mile report card
By george alexanian on 08/29/10 15:57 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

My realistic, not wide eyed or wishful rating, at 3000 mile overall grade is an A-. If it had more gauges, an intermittently working blue tooth, and did not require me to agree to terms to see the map every time I start to drive the car, it would have been the best car I have ever had in 45 years, and rated an A+. At an out the door price of $37,988 for the limited 3.6R, you cannot beat it. Subaru has the opportunity to be the best practical and cost effective crossover ever made with a few changes. Subaru, get with it and prosper! Before this, I never even considered a Subaru, I did not even know where it was made.

Greatest wagon out there
By Richard on 08/29/10 08:26 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Fantastic buy for the money. Good luck finding a car this good for the price you will pay.

Up-Date Major Defect
By Bill on 08/28/10 04:10 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Up-date to my 7/28 review. Subaru came out with a TSB for the steering wheel shake finally which included new front and rear bushings, new steering wheel with dampener, new mount for the trans and a bunch of other parts. Car was at dealer for 2 days for the repair. It drives a lot better now without the shake however the steering wheel vibrates above 70 mph., kind of like operating a power tool. Called dealer and told him the problem and was told nothing more they can do. Car rides well, plenty of power, comfortable, and fun to drive as long as you stay below 70. Envy those of you without the shake or vibration. For me, my first and last Subaru.

Great First Impression
By NJP on 08/22/10 18:28 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is our first Subaru, and we've only had it for 3 days now (so take the Reliability rating with a grain of salt - but we hope it stays a 10). Other than a few minor interior fit & finish items that our dealer is taking care of, the 2011 Outback really seems to be a wonderful vehicle. Well thought-out and very comfortable. Great power to MPG compromise on the 4-cyl. We thought we were going out to get a small SUV (CR-V, Rav4, CX7, Sorento, etc.) and instead came home with an Outback. Only negatives so far are placement of A/C vent right by your right hand and very distinct top cutoff of low-beams. That's really not a lot to complain about though. Great features/comfort for the price.

Great Car
By GES on 08/21/10 11:51 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased this car to replace a 2003 Forester that was still going strong with 115,000 miles. So far, the new Outback has exceed our expectations in every way. Great mileage (30-31 on Highway). Quiet ride. Handles great. Plenty of power when needed. Solid build. We love this car.

Just back from a 4100 mile trip
By Calvin Wilvert on 08/18/10 22:02 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Two days after we bought our 2011 Outback, we left on a five-week, 4100 mile camping trip in the Northwest. Even with a lot of mountain driving and with frequent use of the air- conditioner, gas consumption for the trip averaged slightly over 30 miles per gallon. At all times, the car handled well, was comfortable, and felt safe. I did not experience any steering vibration that a few reviewers have noted. Indeed, I liked communicative feel imparted by the steering. Driving this fine vehicle was a pleasure, and I felt less tired after hours behind the wheel than I have with any other car I have owned. More pep on steep hills would have been fun, but the power is adequate.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$100 per month*