Used 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

need new engine
By dummy1234

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

the outback suffers from a fair 4 cylinder engine. it takes 75 horse power for the all wheel drive system. which leaves only leaves 95 hp. thats why it is a poor performer. and the cvt transmission makes the engine drone. previous 2009 didn't drone. time to replace boxer engine?? also headlights don't shine far enough to front - mostly to sides ???

style, cargo rooml

better engine, headlights

Very Satisfied!
By JTC - Akron, OH.

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I'm a manufactures rep. by occupation and drive 40,000 miles/yr. My last two vehicles have been Honda Odyssey Vans, which I can say nothing negative about. Since I spend a great deal of time in a car it was just time for a change. This is my first Subaru and after two months/8,000 miles, I feel very satisfied with my decision. I must say, I read many of these personal reviews on this site and they helped make my decision. Since fuel economy is a key feature for me, I was a little concerned about the 4 cyl engine and if there would be enough power (no problem). I hope in the future to update my review and give potential Subaru buyers an honest assessment. So far, I'm a truly happy Subaru owner

Very comfortable drive, quiet on the highway, back up camera is handy in rear view mirror, great MPG for an AWD vehicle, spacious rear seating, head lights great, well appointed interior and dash lighting, good value for the dollar

These improvements I would not consider a "deal breaker" - 4 cyl engine is noisier than I'm used to when you stomp on the accelerator - I guess this is inherent with a 4 cyl engine?, perhaps they could better insulate engine compartment? Cruise function goes off when car is turned off, prefer temp gauge.

Red Ruby Pearl
By PSUfan

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Needed to downsize from a Nissan Pathfinder. The Outback was the best choice for great gas mileage, ample storage space, luminous rear leg room for the kids, large rear trunk space for dogs, and almost the same ground clearance (0.2" difference) as the Pathfinder, (Outer Banks beach driving). Very happy with our decision, and looked a multiple vehicles (Toyota, Honda, Ford, Hyundai).

Ground Clearance, interior space, gas mileage, interesting roof rack. A 6 spd Manual with luxury features, you don't find that option very much these days.

None that I can think of

Flawed steering system 2010-11 models
By pc

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bottom line is the car has a flawed steering system and it effects 30-60+ percent of the cars. I got one of the affected cars and have been fighting with SOA over it. They know the cars are bad and they are selling them to unsuspecting buyers. You sign a contract and your stuck. Run away from these 2 year models of this car! Read the horror stories on the site I mentioned above.

MPG

Steering clunking front end warm ac uncomfortable seats seat back moves unevenly blind spots lack of choice of int colors

Yep!
By Bill M

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

So far, so good. Car feels solid, ride is smooth and quiet. Fast? nope, but not underpowered as some will say, and hey, it's a wagon after all. The car will get you there quick enough. Instrument panel and dash are clean and efficient without being overly spartan. Significantly more leg room than the '00 OB I traded in (yes, loyal). HK sound system probably won't impress die-hard audiophiles, but Stevie Ray Vaughan sounds perfectly crisp to me! Summertime now, but I expect the AWD to treat me the same way it did in my '00 when the snow flies and that is the real reason why I buy these cars in the first place. Good car, go ahead.

AWD, HK audio, smooth and quiet ride.

Lose the dumb gas usage tracker, useless. Selection of tracks from IPod using the media hub is a bit awkward, but now I'm nit-picking.