Used 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Trading in my Outback on another Outback

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've been very satisfied with our 2011 3.6 Limited Outback. But, it's approaching 70,000 miles and at some point it needs to be replaced. They are making changes to the 2015 model including a CVT transmission for the 3.6, six cylinder engine. The '14's still have a 5 speed auto in the 3.6 models. I don't like CVT's so I've decided to trade in a well worn but reliable '11 Outback. With almost 70,000 miles on a 3 year old car, I'm still getting $17,000 in trade for a new one that was discounted nearly 10% from sticker. This will be my third Subaru and I'm very pleased with the brand.

Reliability, handling in the snow and ice, appearance inside and out, and smooth engine nicely mated to a solid transmission.

Mileage could be better, and oil consumption. I understand that Subarus use oil, but I'm not used to having to add oil between regular oil changes. It doesn't leak oil or burn oil, so I don't know where it goes, but I know it's normal.

Horrible Mistake
By mulligan8

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought 3.6R limited with 25,000 miles and have had constant problems with suspension. I have had in dealer 3 times and 2 other shops and no one has a clue. I replaced front shocks as dealer suggested-- of course NOT under warranty. Car still makes clunking noises over small road imperfections and VERY noisy as well . Seats comfortable but made with cheap leather and all interior bits seem slapped together. Got the 6 cylinder because of power and the 4 cylinder with CVT rubber band transmission pathetic-- yet Subaru still somehow succeeds in make the six sound like a 4 cylinder. Can't wait to get rid of it...Never again

where do I start?

Great in the Snow

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2011 Outback Premium new in May, 2011. It now has 52,000 mostly trouble free miles. The only problem was with a power window that would get stuck and the dealer had a difficult time finding the cause. Other than that, it's been very reliable. We live in a ski resort at 8,000 feet and the extra power from the six cylinder engine is well worth it. Even with the bigger engine, we are getting over 25 mpg with a combination of highway and town driving. Styling is subjective, but I think both the exterior and interior are attractive. We have a 100 pound golden retriever who loves riding in the back. I wish it had a little more leg room in front and rear, but it's adequate.

The Outback is a good road car. I have not had any problems with the steering wheel others have complained about. This car is great in the snow. We put on snow tires in the winter and as long as there's less than 8 inches of powder on the ground, it goes anywhere. The engine is smooth and plenty powerful, and is well suited to the 5 speed transmission. I previously had a Forrester with the 4 cylinder engine and 4 speed transmission, and it was underpowered. I don't know how the Outback with the same 4 cylinder engine would perform. I'd recommend a thorough road test first. The car handles well, especially on the highway. I personally like the styling.

This is the first car I've owned in decades that requires adding oil between routine oil changes. I have to add a quart about every 3000 miles. I understand that is normal with these boxer engines. The dealer can't explain why, just that they all use oil. It doesn't burn oil or drip oil, so I don't know where it goes. Overall, this is a great car and I'm very satisfied with it.

Great Car needed better Shocks
By bwein

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Love this with the 3.6 plenty of power with descent gas mileage 22 combines for 18,000 miles. My only complaint was the soft ride and poor handling. I put KYB gas shock on it and now it handles great and rides nice and firm. (watchout Cayennes) We have taking this car on the LA to Mammoth trek many times to go skiing and have needed the AWD plenty of times and it works great. We can fit 4 adults and a dog for a weekend of skiing if we put the skis and boards on the roof. Ingenious rack system.

Seat Comfort and leg room front and rear, Reclining rear seats, Great interior room for its size. Roof racks, Powerful 3.6,

Poor handling from the factory and too soft a ride. KYB gas shocks has solved my problem. USB to radio does not control my droid. 6 speed auto tranny

Traded a Forester for an Outback

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a Forester 15 months ago when I moved to 8000 feet elevation. The Forester performed flawlessly through 55 feet of snow in a record winter. But, it's four cylinder engine and four speed transmission struggled at this elevation, especially in hilly terrain. And, it was just a bit too small. Since we were otherwise very satisfied, we traded it on an Outback with the 3.6 engine and 5 speed automatic. After 18,000 miles, we traded it for $2500 less than we paid for it and still got a good discount on the Outback. What a difference. The Outback has plenty of power and leg room. The Limited has very nice features. It's a good value compared to similar crossover vehicles.

Engine and transmission are well matched. Interior finish is better than expected for a car of this price. The AWD is great, whether you need it or not. It's got great traction and a very tight turning radius. In my opinion, it's one of the best looking crossovers. The selling dealer (Sierra in Monrovia, CA) threw in the free maintenance while under warranty which is a convenience.

The only problem we've had is a driver's window that won't go up without stopping several times. It goes up a few inches and stops. That means you have to repeatedly press the switch. Two trips to the dealership have not resulted in a repair. We're ready to go to another dealer for warranty service.