Used 2011 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Big mistake
By andyp331

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I will never buy another Subaru product as long as I live. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. The quote un quote AWD is a joke, I backed my car around the back of my house to unload some bricks out of it, and it got stuck in the grass and made ruts in my yard. AWD really? It slides in the slightest amount of snow. No power, rides rough. All around it is horrible.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Put a real AWD system in that works.

My last Subaru
By jimpstn

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2011 Subaru has had one problem after another. Last month the manifold cracked and it was an $800 repair. This month a sensor went bad in the transmission - $1300! If Subaru has these known quality problems, they should at least help out with the repair costs. They said this sensor part alone costs $800, I'm sure it doesn't cost a tenth of that to make. Not only is the quality bad, but they won't work with their loyal customers on the cost of repair. I am not loyal anymore. (Not to mention they still have not fixed the head light blowing problem I had on my 2005 Outback)

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality, and work with customers on cost of repairs for known manufacturing problems.

This ain't the Subaru that they built their reputation on...
By jobone

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Their rep. is maintained by fans. Subaru is no longer the "outback" vehicle of choice. If you live in an area that requires chains, forget it. The AWD with standard all-weather tires is the best you're going to get if you have to drive to see snow. There is no room for chains, cables or belts! Required in SoCal! This has been a piece of junk. CVT trans (for improved economy) is weak for its weight, esp. in reverse where it has stalled on inclines multiple times. The electronics are in the dark ages. I've regretted buying this heap for a long time: Transmission problems have been long-lasting, cooling system issues at 40k and factory-installed alarm/shock sensor is beyond useless.

Favorite Features

Bigger back seat area and decent suitcase-holding area in the back. Open highway MPG with a conservative driver is 36MPG (dry & warm weather)

Suggested Improvements

In 3.5 years, my 2011 has been in the shop more than my 1998 Outback was in 15 years! Dealer network is poor Regional representation is poor Current builds are dictated out of economy, this car is no longer the snow-monster it was. CVTs on 2011s are awful but, as a local service rep. said, the newer ones are worse! Subaru Corporate is slow to step up and fail to discipline or get rid of bad dealers. Toyota's part-ownership has degraded the company overall to a "quantity over quality" approach.

Trading in my Outback on another Outback
By danwatson

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've been very satisfied with our 2011 3.6 Limited Outback. But, it's approaching 70,000 miles and at some point it needs to be replaced. They are making changes to the 2015 model including a CVT transmission for the 3.6, six cylinder engine. The '14's still have a 5 speed auto in the 3.6 models. I don't like CVT's so I've decided to trade in a well worn but reliable '11 Outback. With almost 70,000 miles on a 3 year old car, I'm still getting $17,000 in trade for a new one that was discounted nearly 10% from sticker. This will be my third Subaru and I'm very pleased with the brand.

Favorite Features

Reliability, handling in the snow and ice, appearance inside and out, and smooth engine nicely mated to a solid transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could be better, and oil consumption. I understand that Subarus use oil, but I'm not used to having to add oil between regular oil changes. It doesn't leak oil or burn oil, so I don't know where it goes, but I know it's normal.

This car is unsafe and has quality issues
By millieone

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a year old outback with 17,000 miles in excellent condition. Shortly after while driving with my wife in the passenger's seat the air bag off indicator light was on. It's sometimes on and some times off. My wife weights about 120lbs well above 102lbs limit. The car also has rust forming under the lip of the rear hatch door. Subaru refuses to cover the rust repair and says the air works as designed. This is a serious safety issue. They said they fixed it in the 2012 model. There solution was to sell me a new car. Wow this company sucks! We bought this car for its reported safety, what a joke. My wife and daughter are nervous when sitting in the front seat

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Subaru does not stand behind their products. Warranty coverage is a myth. Research NTSB website for complaints before buying.