2011 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Trading in my Outback on another Outback
By danwatson on 06/25/14 17:42 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've been very satisfied with our 2011 3.6 Limited Outback. But, it's approaching 70,000 miles and at some point it needs to be replaced. They are making changes to the 2015 model including a CVT transmission for the 3.6, six cylinder engine. The '14's still have a 5 speed auto in the 3.6 models. I don't like CVT's so I've decided to trade in a well worn but reliable '11 Outback. With almost 70,000 miles on a 3 year old car, I'm still getting $17,000 in trade for a new one that was discounted nearly 10% from sticker. This will be my third Subaru and I'm very pleased with the brand.

This car is unsafe and has quality issues
By millieone on 03/29/14 09:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a year old outback with 17,000 miles in excellent condition. Shortly after while driving with my wife in the passenger's seat the air bag off indicator light was on. It's sometimes on and some times off. My wife weights about 120lbs well above 102lbs limit. The car also has rust forming under the lip of the rear hatch door. Subaru refuses to cover the rust repair and says the air works as designed. This is a serious safety issue. They said they fixed it in the 2012 model. There solution was to sell me a new car. Wow this company sucks! We bought this car for its reported safety, what a joke. My wife and daughter are nervous when sitting in the front seat

Horrible Mistake
By mulligan8 on 02/06/14 08:13 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought 3.6R limited with 25,000 miles and have had constant problems with suspension. I have had in dealer 3 times and 2 other shops and no one has a clue. I replaced front shocks as dealer suggested-- of course NOT under warranty. Car still makes clunking noises over small road imperfections and VERY noisy as well . Seats comfortable but made with cheap leather and all interior bits seem slapped together. Got the 6 cylinder because of power and the 4 cylinder with CVT rubber band transmission pathetic-- yet Subaru still somehow succeeds in make the six sound like a 4 cylinder. Can't wait to get rid of it...Never again

Great in the Snow
By danwatson on 11/11/13 15:36 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2011 Outback Premium new in May, 2011. It now has 52,000 mostly trouble free miles. The only problem was with a power window that would get stuck and the dealer had a difficult time finding the cause. Other than that, it's been very reliable. We live in a ski resort at 8,000 feet and the extra power from the six cylinder engine is well worth it. Even with the bigger engine, we are getting over 25 mpg with a combination of highway and town driving. Styling is subjective, but I think both the exterior and interior are attractive. We have a 100 pound golden retriever who loves riding in the back. I wish it had a little more leg room in front and rear, but it's adequate.

still ok, but here to report some minor concerns
By cocopuff2 on 10/29/13 18:44 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2011 outback has almost 36,000 miles. Several pieces of plastic have broken on the interior--all covered on the warranty. But now I that I have reached the millage limit, I may be on the hook for these irksome repairs. Also, the battery hold down bars are corroding. I brought it up to the dealer, and the technician acted as if it was a mystery, and nothing to worry about. However, my 2004 legacy must've had the same problem, as the battery holder corroded completely and needed replacement after about 60,000 miles. That cost me almost $200 at the dealer! That's all to report for now.

Believe it or not the Ford Edge is better
By 1happycamper on 10/20/13 12:15 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned two Subaru's...a 2011 OUtback wagon (4 cylinder w/CVT) and a 2009 Forester. Both cars were made with cheap plastic, had alot of rattles, transmission issues, and the darned muffler guard had to be tightened every 3 months or so. All of these items were apparently part of the regular joy of owning a Subaru and were not seen as requiring a recall fix. After owning the Outback for 18 months, I just had enough of having to take it back to the dealer to get things tightened up. I traded that car in for a 2013 Edge and have been EXTREMELY happy with it. The only issue with the Edge it to make sure to get the Scotchguard on it if you get cloth interior. Ford Edge rules!

NEED REPLACEMENT PARTS WAY TOO SOON
By bunsen00 on 09/24/13 07:26 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We've been driving Subarus for many years, and loved them. This is the 2nd 1 we bought new. I love my car, but upon last inspection I had to replace back brakes, rotors, and need new tires. This would be fine if it had 100,000 miles on it. But it is NOT alright when it has just over 31,000 miles on it. The serviceman wanted to know how long the vehicle sat because the rotors were so rusty. The car never sat! We've had to replace rotors before, but never on anything that had less than 100,000 miles on it! I know I will think twice before going with Subaru after this, and I hope you all will too! I've always recommended them to other people, but no more!

First Time Subaru OB Owner - Happy Driver
By bmwshin on 07/03/13 22:43 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've driven my 2011 Subaru Outback about 1000 miles so far. Bought it used with 37K miles. I was at first hesitant to jump in for this crossover, but decided to give it a shot. I'd say that CVT transmission and some Subaru quirks are something that I needed to get used to, but once I was acclimated, driving any other car is not fun any more. I love the spaciousness of the interior, and the performance of the AWD and boxer engine. You get respectable gas mileage at around 25 miles combined. Everything the Edmonds / CR experts talk about is spot-on, but nothing that you'd want to worry about. I love driving this thing around my town and can't wait for next road trip!

Reliable. Good value, gas mileage & off road.
By jcricket on 09/29/12 12:34 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have a 2011 base model Outback with 27,000 miles. No issues except the headlights burned out at 25,000 (I keep them on all the time). Gas mileage ranges from 23 in town (in winter) up to 34 on the highway (in summer). High ground clearance is helpful for off-roading and deep snow. With snow tires on it goes everywhere, all the time - no stopping it. The interior is surpassingly spacious, particularly the back seat space. Consider avoiding the choice of white upholstery. In Alaska the car is ubiquitous - Outbacks and Forrresters are the most popular cars on the road here.

They need to upgrade the quality of their plastics and fix some of the "accepted" normal problems with Subarus
By 1happycamper on 09/04/12 07:26 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned two Subaru’s over the past four years (2009 Forrester; 2011 Outback). I was happy to start up with the Subaru line since I thought I would be getting a quality car. I have to say that I’ve been disappointed in the quality and irksome “normal” issues. It has the standard Subaru brake clunk and the muffler-guard rattle. It has a catalytic convertor baffle noise vibration too. It has a clicking noise behind the driver’s dashboard and creaking/rattles in the plastic trays on the sides of the doors. I’ve already started looking at what other car brand I might be able to purchase. Sorry Subaru, it’s sayonara for me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$69 per month*