Used 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Nice Rig......BUT!!!
By Elliott Steele

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2011 Outback 3.6R with 24K miles on the tout of Consumer Reports, and the fact my nephew has been driving a used 2006 for years while going to college. The only negative feedback I found was from a friend who owned a Legacy. She loved the vehicle, however it developed the problem of everything stopping periodically for no apparent reason and Subaru could never resolve the problem. I should have leaned more to her experience for my choice! At about 42K miles, periodically, my Outback wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear when in auto mode requiring me to go to manual mode to shift out of 2nd. This problem progressively got worse to the point I took it to the dealer. That was nearly three months ago, April 19, 2016. Luckily, the problem repeated when the technician took it for a test!! Supposedly the transmission has been replaced THREE times, the last a brand new one after two factory rebuilds. Most or all control modules have also supposedly been replaced. Even the factory engineer was called out, and the problem even stumped him. The last I heard over a week ago, the main computer was to be cleared and reprogrammed. To date 7/17/16, I haven't heard from the service manager, so I am assuming that didn't work either. I have to say the dealership has treated me well by providing a new Legacy loaner. The only other negative points are the moon roof is too noisy when open, with or without the deflector and it pulls to the right after installing new tires which I was told by dealer is a design by Subaru, even though it didn't do so prior to new tires and the Legacy I'm driving doesn't pull either??? Otherwise, as a hiker, gold panner, and hunter, I think the Outback is a nice rig, but even if it is fixed, can I trust it???

The New Outback is Fantastic
By rlj-Seattle

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is our first Subaru and we could not be happier. This is the perfect trip car. The highway ride is smooth, quiet and the interior is very spacious. We tried both the 2.5 and 3.6R and went with the bigger engine that is more powerful and refined. It still gets great gas mileage for a vehicle this size. The Hardon Kardon stereo is definitely worth the money for both the sound and bluetooth phone. I drive an Audi A4 quattro so I was very happy to get this excellent all- wheel vehicle for my wife. She hasn't driven in the snow yet so she is in for a treat! She loves her new car.

Ride; engine; bluetooth; interior room; cargo area liner; USB port to connect my iPhone for music

Rear A/C vents

Still fun to drive
By Great Car!

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I was worried when I read on Edmunds that the "increase in size removed much of the responsive and fun-to- drive nature". Do not believe it. We've owned ten Subarus, including a 2008 Tribeca. This 2011 Outback 3.6 is far more similar to our 2006 Outback than it is the Tribeca when it comes to handling and responsiveness. I don't know where the Edmunds editors got the idea the 2011 Outback was going to feel like the Tribeca, it is not. But as for interior room, it is so close to the Tribeca it is silly. The 2011 is the best Subaru we have owned out of ten, bar none. Already getting 25 mpg on the highway with only 1500 miles on it. Best we ever got with the Tribeca was 24 at 30,000 miles.

Leg room, front and rear is awesome. Ride quality is very good. Engine is outstanding. Fuel economy better than expected.

Can't think of much right now, this 2011 Outback has exceeded our expectations so far, why buy anything else if you live where it snows like Minnesota? NOBODY builds a better AWD for this price, period.