Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Nice Rig......BUT!!!
By Elliott Steele

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2011 Outback 3.6R with 24K miles on the tout of Consumer Reports, and the fact my nephew has been driving a used 2006 for years while going to college. The only negative feedback I found was from a friend who owned a Legacy. She loved the vehicle, however it developed the problem of everything stopping periodically for no apparent reason and Subaru could never resolve the problem. I should have leaned more to her experience for my choice! At about 42K miles, periodically, my Outback wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear when in auto mode requiring me to go to manual mode to shift out of 2nd. This problem progressively got worse to the point I took it to the dealer. That was nearly three months ago, April 19, 2016. Luckily, the problem repeated when the technician took it for a test!! Supposedly the transmission has been replaced THREE times, the last a brand new one after two factory rebuilds. Most or all control modules have also supposedly been replaced. Even the factory engineer was called out, and the problem even stumped him. The last I heard over a week ago, the main computer was to be cleared and reprogrammed. To date 7/17/16, I haven't heard from the service manager, so I am assuming that didn't work either. I have to say the dealership has treated me well by providing a new Legacy loaner. The only other negative points are the moon roof is too noisy when open, with or without the deflector and it pulls to the right after installing new tires which I was told by dealer is a design by Subaru, even though it didn't do so prior to new tires and the Legacy I'm driving doesn't pull either??? Otherwise, as a hiker, gold panner, and hunter, I think the Outback is a nice rig, but even if it is fixed, can I trust it???

Dependability in a tight package.
By Dan Manecke

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

6 cylinder would be better, lot of car here for a 4 cylinder.
Overall very pleased with this vehicle after 5 years of ownership.

Dumbest design - headlights
By Dave

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I like my outback, except that the design for headlight replacement is probably the poorest engineering design I have ever witnessed in my life. You need to remove multiple fasteners to push back the fenders in order to access the headlight assembly, then fit your arm in the tightest area to remove the assembly cover, access the bulb, and do the whole thing in reverse. Absolutely the dumbest design ever. Subaru touts itself as an outdoor, adventure type vehicle, appealing to the "outback" kinda explorer...yet, headlights are not for show' but for safety, and thus should be easily accessible if ever the Indiana Jones in you is out and about after dark and needs to repair a blown bulb....just like changing tires, adding fuel' or changing a belt...all these things should be doable by the driver ( alone in the wild) not by the dealer.....bad juju all around!

Great car Great value
By GREG MONTAGUE

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love my outback!
By Michael

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love my outback! It's such a comfortable car, and incredibly quiet driving down the freeway. Gets good gas mileage (about 27 mpg) on an 18 gal tank. I fill up around every 480 to 500 miles. Handles very well and has plenty of storage space, especially with the rear seats down. Great head and leg room. I am 6'5" and fit very comfortably in both front and back seats. Can't say enough about how much I love it! Variable transmission takes some getting used to because it is so quiet, you dn hear it revving, so you don't realize how fast you're going.