Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Big mistake
By andyp331

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I will never buy another Subaru product as long as I live. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. The quote un quote AWD is a joke, I backed my car around the back of my house to unload some bricks out of it, and it got stuck in the grass and made ruts in my yard. AWD really? It slides in the slightest amount of snow. No power, rides rough. All around it is horrible.

none

Put a real AWD system in that works.

My last Subaru
By jimpstn

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2011 Subaru has had one problem after another. Last month the manifold cracked and it was an $800 repair. This month a sensor went bad in the transmission - $1300! If Subaru has these known quality problems, they should at least help out with the repair costs. They said this sensor part alone costs $800, I'm sure it doesn't cost a tenth of that to make. Not only is the quality bad, but they won't work with their loyal customers on the cost of repair. I am not loyal anymore. (Not to mention they still have not fixed the head light blowing problem I had on my 2005 Outback)

Improve quality, and work with customers on cost of repairs for known manufacturing problems.

This ain't the Subaru that they built their reputation on...
By jobone

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Their rep. is maintained by fans. Subaru is no longer the "outback" vehicle of choice. If you live in an area that requires chains, forget it. The AWD with standard all-weather tires is the best you're going to get if you have to drive to see snow. There is no room for chains, cables or belts! Required in SoCal! This has been a piece of junk. CVT trans (for improved economy) is weak for its weight, esp. in reverse where it has stalled on inclines multiple times. The electronics are in the dark ages. I've regretted buying this heap for a long time: Transmission problems have been long-lasting, cooling system issues at 40k and factory-installed alarm/shock sensor is beyond useless.

Bigger back seat area and decent suitcase-holding area in the back. Open highway MPG with a conservative driver is 36MPG (dry & warm weather)

In 3.5 years, my 2011 has been in the shop more than my 1998 Outback was in 15 years! Dealer network is poor Regional representation is poor Current builds are dictated out of economy, this car is no longer the snow-monster it was. CVTs on 2011s are awful but, as a local service rep. said, the newer ones are worse! Subaru Corporate is slow to step up and fail to discipline or get rid of bad dealers. Toyota's part-ownership has degraded the company overall to a "quantity over quality" approach.

I waited 60k miles before I wrote this review
By gartho

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought it new...its had 2 recalls on it since new I believe. I replaced the front rotor and pads at 57k only because the rotors warped. The car is great...the factory tires stink...I swapped to Hankook and like them. I cant say anything bad about our subie...well yes the handling sucked when it was new and I put the rear sway bar on and now its great!. Soft ride...ok fuel numbers... I will not sell it as long as this keeps up. It can climb a Mtn in the snow...hard to believe...

the AWD in the snow...this is my 5th Subie...and the 8.7" of ground clearance.

better Fuel numbers...which they have done! WE NEED A DIESEL.

Trading in my Outback on another Outback
By danwatson

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've been very satisfied with our 2011 3.6 Limited Outback. But, it's approaching 70,000 miles and at some point it needs to be replaced. They are making changes to the 2015 model including a CVT transmission for the 3.6, six cylinder engine. The '14's still have a 5 speed auto in the 3.6 models. I don't like CVT's so I've decided to trade in a well worn but reliable '11 Outback. With almost 70,000 miles on a 3 year old car, I'm still getting $17,000 in trade for a new one that was discounted nearly 10% from sticker. This will be my third Subaru and I'm very pleased with the brand.

Reliability, handling in the snow and ice, appearance inside and out, and smooth engine nicely mated to a solid transmission.

Mileage could be better, and oil consumption. I understand that Subarus use oil, but I'm not used to having to add oil between regular oil changes. It doesn't leak oil or burn oil, so I don't know where it goes, but I know it's normal.