Blind spot and poor sight lines are a deal killer
By fyb on
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
I've had this car on lease for over two years, it will be going back to the dealer. It's okay for around town driving at moderate speeds. On the highway I find the car exhausting to drive on trips longer than 30 min. The sightlines make me feel as though I am hurling through space. CVT delay is significant and the blind spots take away my confidence so I stay in the slow lane and rarely go over 65mph, which is not my normal style of driving. I live in the NYC area and am accustomed to aggressive driving and drivers. My boyfriend hates driving this car too, and being a passenger is no better. The design/windshield angle makes the passenger feel as though we are going to crash at any moment.
Favorite Features
Nice interior, lots of leg room. The mileage met my expectations, but I had an Explorer so anything would be an improvement. I installed leather seats with the expectation that we would buy the car off the lease, live and learn. Nice sunroof too.
Suggested Improvements
The sight lines are awful. The rear headrests almost completely block the view; I removed them but for people who have children, this may not be an option. The car has huge blind spots. Even if you turn your head, you can't see what is coming up on you. I added convex mirrors which have helped somewhat. Radio control on steering wheel work sporadically. When the headlight blew, the mechanic had to remove the battery to change the bulb, I don't know if that is standard. Do yourself a favor and test drive lots of cars before making your decision.