2010 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Some Minor Complaints
By ORTravis on 04/24/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We chose this car because of the rear seat room, which is plentiful. Overall the car is great. It's comfortable and the MPG is great for an AWD vehicle. I also like the rack system. I have had issues with the power steering, it seems loud to me. Some other minor complaints: Door cup holders don't accommodate water bottles (in a car marketed to outdoor enthusiasts), no power seat memory, no rear seat vents, windows vibrate when slightly opened, and the turn signals are not very visible from the side (needs additional side signal and even one in the mirror). Finally, the manual says not to use snow chains, which can be a problem in Oregon if you go to the mountains infrequently!

Bigger but better?
By JulCo on 04/23/10 21:55 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Our 1999 Outback was totaled recently. My wife insisted on getting another Outback or perhaps a Forester. We were shocked how huge and hunky they have become. So we settled on an Outback. Hope they solved the head gasket problem. Only have driven it 500 miles so far. Hope to keep it fifteen years. Averaged 26mpg in our first fill up.

We absolutely love it.
By Veejay146 on 04/21/10 16:43 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned this car for a little less than a month. Our family has always trusted Honda but after a disagreement with their dealership we stormed out and went straight to Subaru who was 2nd on our list. So far driving this car has been excellent, so much better than I first anticipated. It had all of the features that we were to get from the CR-V and some more. At first I thought I would have some difficulties driving a longer car but not at all. It handles very nice and smooth, gets pretty good gas mileage (25 mpg driving in mostly hilly neighborhoods and occasional freeway). Bluetooth handsfree is a bonus that we did not expect!

Love it!
By jcbasser on 04/19/10 09:51 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Hello, Love the car. We purchased the car with 41 miles. I love the feel of the leather and the seats are very comfortable. The dual zone AC is great because I run hot so I always need the AC on. We just took the car on a long road trip with lots of hills and open roads. We averaged 31.5 MPG. Great! Around town I am at about 24 mpg. The fit and finish is great. No squeaks or rattles. My car does not have any vibrations others have noted. My other car is a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon which I also love. However, the finish, stereo, ride, of the outback is great. the power is less then the Mazda, but the Mazda averages only 19 MPG.

Love, love, love it!
By InLove on 04/15/10 14:07 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love this car. It is so practical, yet stylish. I get so many compliments on it. It's a very capable SUV with good gas mileage, many creature comforts, and an impressive list of well-thought-out features. I have had some hiccups on my particular vehicle, such as trouble with cold starts and a noise in the steering column. However, Subaru has done a fantastic job addressing these issues and won't rest until they are completely resolved. You cannot go wrong with this vehicle!

Having Second Thoughts on Subaru
By Erik59 on 04/14/10 16:51 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a manual 2010 Outback after wrecking my BMW in a snow storm. It definitely has great all-weather traction, and is very comfortable. I'm very tall and I fit very comfortably in the front seats. The power front driver's seat is nice. It does OK on the highway, but is more jittery than my old car. I thought the manual transmission would be fun (my last 4 cars were manuals) but the clutch engagement is very high, and not progressive. The 4 cylinder engine has just enough oomph but is very noisy at anything more than medium throttle. The handling is clumsy compared to a car, but probably better or on par with other mid-size SUVs. Should have gone with the AWD Ford Fusion

Didn't know I liked Subaru until I drove
By JTAlabama on 04/14/10 10:13 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife and I own a Honda Pilot and we love it. When it was time to replace our Grand Prix with a small SUV we narrowed our list to CR-V, RAV4, and Forester. We wanted something with good MPG but a nice ride and good quality/reliability. We went to Subaru and found the Forester not worth while, but they suggested the Outback. It was GREAT! We don't like wagons, but this is a true SUV. It drove much better and quieter than the RAV4 and CR-V and with better fuel economy! We've had it a month now and it is so much fun to drive. Excellent space and combined mpg is ~30 mpg! Overall, this is great so far. Hopefully the reliability remains good.

500 miles so far so good
By erickrocks on 04/13/10 04:25 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Needed a kid-carrier and traded in our Camry Hybrid, making us a Subie family (other car is an 07 STi). What I like: AWD, height of an SUV, smooth ride quality, comfy interior, great looks, more space (than Camry--esp for car seat/trunk) and for a gas-only engine, good gas mileage. What I wish were better: leather seems "loose"-- will have to watch for bunching up later, change out MPG gauge for something useful, not sure I like the electronic parking brake, would like a bit more grunt from the motor (yes, I know I have the 4 cyl), would have liked rear passenger vents. Those are nit picky things though. Overall, this is an outstanding car that suits the needs of a small family.

The Test Drive Sold It
By bsm222 on 04/10/10 06:05 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have put about 2000 miles on our new Outback and we're loving it! We considered a Toyota Venza, Acura RDX and this and after driving these vehicles, the Subaru was the winner hands down. While we don't consider it quite as stylish as the other two, this car is quiet, fits just right and has the features, gas mileage, quiet good ride and build quality we were looking for. We're averaging 26 mpg back and forth to work and have averaged 31 mpg on a 350 mile trip so far. And it's all on regular fuel. Trade an Audi A4 wagon and the ride height and roominess of the Subaru are so much better!

Subaru Outback -Quality Control Issue
By decisions2make on 04/07/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I took delivery with only 3 miles on the vehicle and noticed a steering vibration. My dealer encouraged me to take delivery since the tires probably needed to be broken in. Anyways, the steering vibration is worse, and to date, nobody has the solution. It forces you to use 2 hands on the wheel at all times to ensure adequate control of the vehicle. This has been reported to SOA. Now I wait to hear what is the solution. Based on internet research, this is a common problem with several new outbacks. I have less than 1,000 miles on the vehicle to date. On the positive side, this model is a great improvement in the quality of interior finish including seat comfort and extra space from the 2008

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$98 per month*