Used 2010 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

4.5 month review
By Linas

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The 2.5 L engine is plenty for highway acceleration and high altitude driving. I like the interior design and look. All the controls on the dashboard and steering wheel are comfortable and intuitive. The AC is sufficiently powerful. The music system is ok with the circle surround and speed adaptable volume features. The driver and passenger space is plenty. There is good front, side, and rear visibility. I like the cubby below the cargo floor. Initially I found the drive to be floaty and strongly affected by crosswinds and passing semi-trucks at highways speeds. So I replaced the rear sway bar with a thicker 19 mm STI bar and the ride improved considerably. I definitely recommend the car!

Remote engine starter AWD Huge cargo space

Increase the thickness of the stock 15 mm rear sway bar for better ride and handling.

Great car!
By Ryan

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

So, I have had this Subie for a while now. I think its a great car! The 4 inch raise is welcome(you still dont have to worry about rolling like you do with SUVs). Now this car is no speed demon (don't mistake this for a WRX!), but it has plenty of get up and go. I went up a 16% incline with very sharp turns and had fun doing it going 40 (In manual mode of coarse :) ). This thing is going to stay on the road. One thing that surprised me, was the very nice sized gas tank(18.5 gallons). I fill up 1/2 as much now! If you live in a hilly area, be careful, I live in Oregon, So it's very hilly and the hills can eat gas up quick! I guess that will be for ANY car though!

CVT! I commute an hour every day to work. I used to go 70-75 to work just to get there. I leave 10 mins earlier, relax enjoy my ride going 65 and get 38 mpg (avg highway). I usually get 600-700 miles per tank (depending on my driving).

IPOD hook up for the love of god! I didn't realize the AUX would have so much buzzing to it(I am going to try a higher quality AUX cord though.)!

Vibration
By Bad Outback

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned my Outback about 4 months and have had a consistent vibration that starts at 60 and goes to 71. Subaru is well aware of this problem and to date, has no fix. This is not my 1st Subaru, but may be my last. Factory Customer Service is very poor. Not what I would expect. I will not wait much longer for a fix before the Lemon Law comes into play. This is not effecting all Outbacks. I would highly recommend a lengthy test drive before you take delivery.

New transmission and styling.

Customer Service. Very disappointing.

Very Happy
By R

2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased Limited 3.6 new, have driven 5950 miles, 19.5 mpg in town, 28 mpg highway, very quite even on the highway, Great SUV, would purchase again.

The engine can shut off while turning
By Delta

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this after driving a 1999 Forester for 10 years. We also have a 2005 Outback in the family. I initially like that this Outback is bigger, but quickly found that it is clunkier to shift and does not have the pick-up or power I could feel in my old Forester. Also, the trunk/hatch door is unnecessarily heavy and a pain to open and close. There have been two recalls necessitating trips back to the dealer for fixes. Now, after having the engine just cut off during turns several times, I have learned from my dealership that they've seen this with 2010 Outbacks. Engines can just shut off while driving! Seriously dangerous and the recall for this has not yet been written.

Interior room and ground clearance

Need better quality, fewer need for recalls, and engines that don't cut out while turning. Go back to feel of shifting in older models.