2010 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Nothing To Write Home About
By hammer6048 on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

My first Subie, be aware of the shakes that can occur with this car. Do some digging before you buy. Good gas mileage for the size, which is nice. There is a negative, very poor acceleration, I have the four with a manual transmission. You will need to plan your moves in the highway, faster traffic will come up fast in the passing lane and flooring the car does nothing. Comfortable ride on the highway, good seats.

Best car we've owned
By dbk on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

First time Subaru owner and have driven about 15,000 miles since January purchase. Getting excellent 28 MPG which is about 40% freeway - 40% mountain - 20% in town. This Outback was rock solid when driving over 250 miles in a bad Calif. coastal storm last winter. Previous car would have been all over the road, especially in the mountains. We have hauled a lot of stuff in the spacious trunk. We've owned a lot of cars but so far this is the best overall vehicle.

Stalling and Shaking
By rgh on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Like other Subie owners, I'm experiencing sputtering and stalling when coming to a stop. CVT shifts down and rpm plummet below 500 or it stalls. Slight shimmying at 60 to 80 MPH. No fix found for either to date. Multiple recalls in the 9 months I've owned it and taken in for service 3 times to address stalling issue. Deeply concerned about safety risk if car were to stall in a situation that would put my family at risk. Outside of that, I love the vehicle.

So far so good
By Rene on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my OB since March 09 and so far it's been great. Took a road trip to Sedona and averaged over 30 MPG. The 2011 has the folding mirrors which would be nice and the fuel efficiency gauge has got to go. My only real complaints have been that it idles very high in the morning and on cold starts and the passenger side airbag sometimes does not show activated when a 120 lb woman is sitting in the seat.

I really wanted to like this car, but...
By WeatherfordOutback on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great snow car, however it developed the well documented front end shimmy almost immediately. Many of the convenience and entertainment features are quirky or poorly implemented (such as a Nav system that is horrendous and can't be read with Polarized sunglasses). Subaru finally admitted that their proposed fix to the shimmy problem would not really fix the problem, so we traded the vehicle in. Gas mileage was mid-20's in town, 30 and up on the highway. Dealership process was generally poor. A road force balance would fix the shimmy for 1000 miles or so, then it returned with a vengeance. Proposed permanent fix involved almost entire steering system rebuild.

Disappointed after first year
By klf on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 2nd review, first being after i owned the car for just one month. a much happier time. Within the past 3 months i have returned to the dealer for 3, that's right, 3 recalls as well as my coolant leaking causing my engine to smoke. I was told at the dealership that i have no leaks, simply an air pocket had burst, causing all the coolant to dry up and need re-filling. What?! Well last night i placed cardboard under the vehicle and guess what i woke up to this morning? Wet cardboard! I went from a Jeep G.Cherokee to my Outback, but will be going back to Jeep as soon as my lease is up! Rather pay a tad more at the pump and drive a reliable vehicle. Going back to a G.Cherokee.

Great Vehicle
By cwTX on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my Outback in late February and it has been a great car. I've put over 18000 miles on it commuting to visit my fiance in Dallas (I'm in Houston) about every weekend, driving to Flagstaff,AZ and back and then driving up to Maine and back. I have had 0 complaints. The power was more than sufficient in the mountains and canyons in AZ and the gas mileage has been superb-low 30s on the highway, high 20s in the city. Comfort has not been a problem, even for the 20 hrs straight the fiance and I spent inside the car on the way back from Maine. Between my mom's BMW X5 and my Outback, I would pick my Outback. Definitely recommend.

2010 OB leaking sunroof, & oil pump
By hesper on 08/18/10 20:14 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned the 2010 outback for a year and have had a leaking sunroof for, yes, a year. After two different dealers attempted and failed at the repair (it leaks primarily during pressure washes, but drips when it rains, I moved on to the national customer service for help and their conclusion is that all 2010 sun roofs leak and they are NOT designed to withstand car washes. The bottom line is they will NOT repair the sunroof end of story. The car is now in the shop for an oil leak. CVT has great MPG, but I question the durability. Customer service is poor...very poor. Too bad because my 2000 OB was great. Suby lost a customer for ever.

Great Car- but lack of features
By Jenni on 08/18/10 05:23 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Don't get me wrong, I really do love my Subaru. It has awesome gas mileage and goes great. Its the little things that you might just "expect" that I'm finding. Like: the passenger seat is manual and doesn't have the up and down movement or back support, if you put the window lock on you (as the driver) cannot work the windows either, when you turn the car off you cannot still listen to the radio or adjust the windows (even if a door hasn't been opened), I don't know about other models but on really hot days my air just isnt cold enough, there's a few other "little" things but I cant remember more right now

Mixed Feelings
By Fatty on 08/16/10 16:14 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

The concept of the car is perfect. Excellent fuel economy, lots of cargo and passenger room and an available manual transmission (a rarity nowadays). The execution is less than perfect. A new rattle or two every day, wallowing handling (although the smooth ride is a decent consolation) and serious quality and safety defects. If you own a manual transmission equipped Outback (or will own in the future), make sure you get the TSB performed to fix the stalling issue (a major safety concern).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Outback Wagon in NJ is:

$167 per month*