Used 2010 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

First Sub - Very Happy.
By Mainer Rich

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first Sub (always had Hondas) and I have been very happy. I was nervous to purchase the car given the history of Subaru's head gasket issues. With much research, it became clear that the issue has been addressed for new Subs. Plus, my dealership covers engine/tranny issues for the life of the car. Gas mileage greatly improved after 4000 miles, and with a little warmer weather. 26 mpg around town - 30+ on highway. Great car! I plan to hand it down to my 7 year old when he turns 16. If you are on the fence about purchasing, just do it. You will be happy you did.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort, style.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Love the new outback
By Peter

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Traded up from my 02 Outback Sport. Great room for the family including a 6ft tall son in the back. Love the 6 speed manual, especially with the short throw shifter installed. Average city/highway is ~24 mpg (about the same as my smaller outback sport). Very quiet and the lumbar support is great. Looking forward to the next 100,000 miles

Favorite Features

manual shifter, looks, and room

Suggested Improvements

folding side mirrors.

Great car
By ty

2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Subaru. Had a Legacy wagon previously and loved it. The new 3.6R outback I bought is higher but more powerful. Love the paddle shift and handling. Highly recommended. The version I purchased has identical power seats on both sides (no height problems here).

Favorite Features

AWD, 256hp, paddle shift, spacious cabin, cross bar storage in roof rack, handling (especially winter/icy roads), etc

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. Various other manufacturers are able to squeeze better mileage out of high HP engines... why can't Subaru? Especially considering this is a "new" engine (from the Tribeca...)

Good, Not Great
By pasubi

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, happy with the car which meets 90% of our needs. Economical for size, comfortable, versitle, well designed ergonomic interior. Navigation, audio, voice activation very unintuitive and poor overall user interface. Nav accuracy and options better on our $100 Garmin. All-wheel drive system good on highways, such as slippery roads. However, ours got stuck in 5 inches of snow and did not transfer power from the 'wheels that slip to the wheels that grip'. Could not get passenger side wheels which had traction to engage. We knew that this would not replace our 4-wheel drive vehicle, but expected better.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort, versatility. Creative design on roof rack cross bars. Fuel economy good at 23 combined MPG

Suggested Improvements

Put more effort into integrating the electronics and improving the user interface. Allow use of Nav while vehicle is moving - passenger can safely operate, so perhaps tie it into the pass air bag sensor. Reign in the marketing people on the all wheel drive system. It's no better than any other.

FOR SALE
By disappointed

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I HATE this car and even special ordered it. Constant issues with brake pedal make a clunking noise after your foot comes off. Now I am told "they all do that". $30,000 cars do not just "do that". One tire had a problem and would not steer right, pulled me off the road and I about lost it. Took the dealership a 40 mile test drive to finally discover it. I think it was a joy ride. The cloth interior is cheap. The carpet is cheap. The motor is severely underpowered. Feels like a chug mobile while getting on the interstate. Please someone take this off my hands. Will make you a good deal. What a $30,000 mistake.

Favorite Features

Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better interior finish, better quality in OEM items, better sound system. Get RID of the mpg gauge what is that for? Make the entire dash red or blue, not both. Only need 1 door open indicator, not 2.