2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2010 Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sort Reviews by

My 3rd Outback
By Hemlock99

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Enjoying the new roominess of the larger 2010. Getting very good mileage for this size car, averaging 29-30 every tank. Handling is a little stiff for a brand and model that has been around a while.

Favorite Features

Harmon audio system, Bluetooth, CVT and MPG, Puddle lights.

Suggested Improvements

What happened to fold back mirrors? Why shorter moonroof?

A Newbie Subie Owner
By Tigerbangs

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Traded in a 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT, which served through 130,000 miles of blatant abuse. Needed similar accommodations, and the new Outback fits the bill: it's very roomy, has comfortable seating front AND rear, and more cargo space than the Magnum did. We opted for the 2.5liter 4 cyl, and I was worried about not having enough power, but found adequate passing power,and smooth and quiet performance. I'm 6'5" and over 300 lbs, and found the driving position and seating comfort among the very best that I have found, and a 6'+ passenger can still ride comfortably behind me. Easy to use controls, superb ride and confident handling. It's a real revelation.

Favorite Features

10 way power seats, heated seats, dark-tinted rear windows, Harmon-Kardon stereo, low noise level, electric parking brake, visibility, Excellent climate control, cool roof-rack, amazing headroom!, paddle-shifters on wheel

Suggested Improvements

Needs turn-signal, folding o/s mirrors, mud-flaps and rear bumper protector should be standard, should have rear-seat A/C vents, eliminate the small rattles in the cargo area. Ditch the silly fuel economy gauge and give us back a real temperature gauge!

Roof rack no good for touring kayaks!
By Donna & Bill

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought the 2010 Outback in August and planned to give our much loved '01 to our nephew. Our long trip was scheduled for early September. That gave us time to attach our Yakima system for two touring kayaks onto the new car. But after frustrating days on our own, several trips to a rack specialty shop with different choices, and a talk with a Yakima rep, we realized that Subaru's new roof rack was not going to work for us. The cross bars are too close together, the rails allow no flexibility in attaching after market systems, on so on. Outdoor enthusiasts beware, this could happen to you! We put all our gear back on the 2001 and had a great trip. Our nephew had to wait for his car.

Favorite Features

Smooth, comfortable, quiet ride. Good acceleration. CVT transmission is great. The sound system is wonderful. Very roomy back seat. Like the reclining back seats and extra cup holders. Not enough miles yet to say more.

Suggested Improvements

If we had realized the rack limitations we would not have bought this car. Hopefully Subaru will cooperate with sport rack manufacturers and come up a solution. Why not offer unhappy buyers a replacement that works? Like open up some slots in the side rails to accept add on equipment... Easy!?

Best car ever
By dmor35

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my car for about two weeks. With football season in full swing I have made a 600 mile round trip and a 300 mile round trip. EXCELLENT mileage and comfort. There is nothing bad about this vehicle. Kids love the reclining back seats. Harmon/Kardon radio is the best. Blue tooth feature...awesome. The hatchback takes a little harder slam to close all the way which is a little annoying but we can deal with it.

Favorite Features

Everything!!!

Suggested Improvements

Easier to close hatchback.

Love It - Even though one problem
By steve & sue

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We love our new Outback-- best feature, averaging 28 mpg around town. Super comfortable and great looking. Warning, we had a strange "whomping" sound the first week when we hit 40 mph and would stop at 45 mpg, sounded almost like pressure in cabin as if one window was open slightly. When returned to dealer they were excellent and an engineer from Indiana flew down, knew just what it was, rear differential, and said a batch were defective with cement bits in them? At any rate, perfect now, but just to let others know if they hear a slight, strange sound to get it checked.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, fantastic, 28 around town; 33 highway. Super comfortable seats, coupled with our heated seat feature, we love just sitting in it.

Suggested Improvements

Rear hatch does not close well, when teenagers are leaving our carpool and getting their stuff, latch does not fully click.

Can't use Yakima or Thule
By Willow

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

What was Subaru thinking? If using a Yakima or Thule rack system the bars can only be placed 21 inches apart with Subaru's 2010 new rack system. This makes the rack useless to true outdoors people. Forget placing a sea kayak, a canoe or anything longer than a small whitewater kayak (a play boat) on the rack. What a waste of an otherwise quality car!

Favorite Features

A quality car outside of the rack system.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to a smaller model...there's plenty of SUVs out there already. Being 5'5" I would have a hard time placing gear on top of the car without a small step stool. Get rid of the new rack system that does not allow one to use Thule or Yakima.

Has fit the bill
By kmeyer

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I own a 2005 Legacy GT Limited and was looking for a utilitarian vehicle to tow my vintage motocross bike. Didn't want to test the 4 cyl. but the saleperson convinced me. The rate of acceleration was surprising. Great engine, MPG, power for a 4 banger that gets 26 MPG urban, 30 combined with 900 miles. People say it's big-inside yes but shorter than the Accord I parked next to. Seats are very comfortable, HK stereo sounds great, dash uncluttered, great storage space, Bluetooth works flawlessly. Paddle shifters are actually helpful. Handling is fine-it is a vehicle with a high center of gravity after all. Quiet, smooth riding and comfortable cruiser. CVT is strange at first but works well.

Favorite Features

HK stereo, bluetooth, inflatable lumbar support in driver's seat, storage space, reclining rear seats, standard cargo tray, great headlights and fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

Memory on power seats, one touch up and down on all of the windows not just the driver's side.

Happy with new Suburu
By Glen Bowen

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Had to order the car, since we wanted the 6 speed manual, so far, it was worth the wait. Price was very good, for this much vehicle. So far, I am very happy.

Favorite Features

Seat are very comfy, ride is quiet & tight. Still have to get used to the E- brake.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely get rid of the MPG gauge, it serves no purpose. The cup holders when full, do interfere with the shifting.

Number Three
By John

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought two 2005 Outbacks for our children as used cars. We wanted safe reliable cars with all wheel drive for the New England winters. My wife and I were so pleased with these cars that we decided to add a third Outback this month. We purchased a 2010 Outback Premium model in Sky Blue. I am the daily driver and just love the car. It is an extraordinary value when compared with the new Audi A4 wagon which I drove with a price of $42,000 plus. The new Outback design is spacious and very comfortable and fun to drive. Prior to owning this Outback we have owned two BMW's and two Honda's. Frankly, Subaru was not a car we considered before this. Now we have three in the family.

Favorite Features

CVT transmission, 2.5i 4 cylinder highly efficient engine, excellent interior space in front and back seats

Great Value
By jon

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 8th Subaru and we have had it almost one week now. I made a trip and got 34.2 mpg and around town I am getting 27.9 mpg so that is quite good for a new engine with about 300 miles on it. I have had a little road noise from the back tires but the car seems to be performing well. This car is a lot bigger than the previous models and the fit and finish is good. The CVT transmission is great and is very smooth and I find the 2.5 engine fine for most driving conditions. The seats are comfortable and there is plenty of leg room for the front and rear passengers. The Stereo and media hub I ordered work well together and sounds great. The bluetooth phone works good.

Favorite Features

Blue tooth phone, stereo, media hub, large spacious interior, homelink mirror, and CVT transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Get back the folding mirrors, bring back duel exhaust on the 2.5, panaromic sunroof, the door open indicator return to indicate which door is open instead a door is open, and bring back the temp gauge, remote open rear hatch, add a choice of all interior colors with all colors, auto up on all windows.