2010 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Very Disappointed
By sarah19goddess on 11/17/12 13:02 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car new off the lot and I have owned it for 1.5 years. From the very start I've had nothing but problems. Here's a list of issues: The GPS hard drive unit crapped out, entire unit replaced. Sun roof leaked twice in the first rains. Had to have new seals put in and buy a car cover. Sound system has been horrible from the start. At low volume the sound goes in and out in waves. Plastic seat casing along driver side seat kept popping off the track and then cracked. Passenger seat motor died, replaced. Check engine light keeps reappearing for gas cap (erroneously). Electronic e-break system keeps getting stuck engaged causing excessive wear. There's more but I'm out of characters.

Still Happy after a Year
By billradio on 04/25/11 10:38 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It has been about a year of ownership of my Outback. This is the family's 3rd Subaru and my 2nd Outback. It may be too nice a car for me. Subaru owners use their car for hard work, rough terrain and bad weather. The 2010 model change made the car nicely refined and still able to perform those utilitarian functions. The upgraded audio/Bluetooth option was a good investment. I love the CVT transmission: in the mountains it adjusts as necessary instead of the constant shifting up & down on convential trannies. The 4-cylinder is more than adequate to climb on the interstate hills at full speed. The larger interior is great. The gas mileage is much better than expected.

2011 Outback 2.5 limited w/auto CVT
By mike07734 on 01/10/11 17:13 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Over all, the vehicle is awesome. Had some issues with rattle in roof liner up near the sunroof, front passenger door. Dealer fixed. Another issue now surfaced after the custom installed the ambient light package, now the switch for the vent on the passenger side is stuck in the open position. They also put watered down wiper fluid in the wiper fluid tank during the last oil change. Drove to upstate NY where the washer jets froze up. Had to go to the store and buy real wiper fluid that doesn't freeze, then let the car engine warm up the frozen lines. Other than that, no other issues.

2010 SUV of the Year? Not really...
By Chebosto on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I needed a larger car due to family expansion and was drawn to the Outback due to the MotorTrend SUV of year award. Since owing the car since June, I believe that award to be false advertising. Our 2.5 Ltd does have good mpg & excellent interior design and ergonomics however there are too many minor issues to be truly satisfied with the car. The 2.5 H4 with the CVT transmission is weak and clunks when getting out of D or P; steering wheel vibrations @ 70-80 mph is hand numbing during long trips; Non-folding side mirrors annoying when parking; rear end sways in side winds; AC does not stay cold when idling; roof cross bars inadequate for most rack systems; the stereo sounds terrible. Sigh.

Outback
By zeke on 07/07/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Driven 4000 miles. I am really happy with the purchase. Needed a family car and was not interested in SUV gas mileage. Been getting 27 mpg combined. The CVT is slick but does get confused at times. It is a little funny looking and after coming from a BMW m3 performance and outback should not be in the same sentence. But its versatility and price can not be beat.

First Subaru
By Ohio on 06/13/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Best features for the money, seriously considered a VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, however felt too small inside. If the Subaru had a diesel available it would have been much easier. In our first 3,300 miles averaging 27/28 mpg everyday driving and 31/32 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. These are actual numbers, not those on the dash computer which seems to run 1 1/2 mpg high. The more I drive it the more value for the money I feel we bought. Replaced an Audi A6 Quartto with 197k miles. AWD is the only way to go, not only for winter driving but also in heavy rain and even on dry surfaces. The CVT trans is super quiet, only at hard acceleration is it noticed. The paddle shifters are great.

Pleased
By Edwards on 06/11/10 07:07 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm very happy to have a new car after driving the last one for 12 years. However, I thought once I got a new car all that engine noise would stop. Not the case with my new car. It is a little louder than I expected. I called the dealer and they said it was normal with CVT and the OB. I hope it stops soon, or I get used to it. Other than that I LOVE IT! It is a beautiful car and very comfortable. My friends and family liked it so much they are all looking to get one. Feel of luxury with a great price!

Great car, Awesome Harman Kardon audio!
By Steve B on 06/02/10 15:24 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Replaced a Honda CR-V, was a very good decision for us. The Outback is roomier, more versatile, has better features for the money. So far, we are very pleased with the decision. CVT took some getting used to - the wind up/wind down is not something I have experienced before. Resulting gas mileage is a reasonable trade off. We thought about getting the V- 6 - glad we did not.

3000 miles and still liking it
By Sf Guy on 06/01/10 08:48 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Wife and I returned to Subaru after we decided to replace our 01 Legacy GT Sedan. The OB 2.5i with CVT does a very nice job regarding comfort ability and mileage. Regarding handling? If I compare it to our old land cruiser its fantastic! If I compare the handling to our old Legacy GT its terrible. The OB is a very good handling SUV and a very marginal handling car as to be expected with the SUV ride height and ability. Rear seat is king when it comes to big kids car seats and comfort etc. The CVT took some getting use to but it does a fantastic job keeping to the power band. Subaru needs to build a turbo and non turbo Legacy GT wagon! Not everyone will find the SUV/Car performance likable.

Fabulous vehicle
By lyleseven on 05/30/10 18:35 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this vehicle as an all around car for commuting and transporting my bicycles. It is terrific to take my bike in the back without having to remove the front wheel of the bike. Plenty of room! Great fit and finish and comfortable to drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$99 per month*