2010 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Very Disappointed
By sarah19goddess on 11/17/12 13:02 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car new off the lot and I have owned it for 1.5 years. From the very start I've had nothing but problems. Here's a list of issues: The GPS hard drive unit crapped out, entire unit replaced. Sun roof leaked twice in the first rains. Had to have new seals put in and buy a car cover. Sound system has been horrible from the start. At low volume the sound goes in and out in waves. Plastic seat casing along driver side seat kept popping off the track and then cracked. Passenger seat motor died, replaced. Check engine light keeps reappearing for gas cap (erroneously). Electronic e-break system keeps getting stuck engaged causing excessive wear. There's more but I'm out of characters.

An outstanding vehicle
By reinman2 on 05/05/12 15:48 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned quite a few cars in my 45 years of driving and this is one of the best. It doesn't have the element of luxury my BMW's and Mercedes have had in the past but it is far and away the most trouble free and reliable cars ever. I have had it in storage since I bought it and used it briefly in 2010 driving from West Coast to the east but through, snow, ice and tornado's and incredible winds it was effortless. A quality automobile and although I love driving Beemers I hate taking them to the shop which is a constant. Subaru does it right and the 2010 redesign was an excellent example of fine engineering, while not the fastest definitely the safest and most reliable I have owned.

Blind spot and poor sight lines are a deal killer
By fyb on 12/28/11 15:06 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had this car on lease for over two years, it will be going back to the dealer. It's okay for around town driving at moderate speeds. On the highway I find the car exhausting to drive on trips longer than 30 min. The sightlines make me feel as though I am hurling through space. CVT delay is significant and the blind spots take away my confidence so I stay in the slow lane and rarely go over 65mph, which is not my normal style of driving. I live in the NYC area and am accustomed to aggressive driving and drivers. My boyfriend hates driving this car too, and being a passenger is no better. The design/windshield angle makes the passenger feel as though we are going to crash at any moment.

2012 Outback
By lkarickhoff on 11/25/11 09:50 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This cars steering was so bad, with about a 1/2 inches of play at center that I took it back to O'Brien's in Fort Myers FL with less than 150 miles on it. I asked if I could get my 2009 Outback back. They said there was nothing they could do. They said my 09 Outback was sold back to Subaru, and gone. I later saw that it was in there back lot. So they lied. So I traded for a Hyudai until I can figure out what I want next. I lost about 10 to 12 thousand that weekend. I have had 45 new cars.

Excellent Choice... 2 yrs later
By yycfamily on 11/15/11 07:54 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my 2010 Subaru Outback since August 2009..... still one of the best, trouble free cars I have owned. Previous to this I had a VW Touareg and a SAAB 95 Wagon. The Outback feels more solid and I have only had to take it into the shop for regular servicing..... meanwhile the others spent more time in shop than out of it. Definitely a quality product! I wish I had got leather seating but, that's my fault not Subaru's.

Good Value
By hokie_dad on 07/20/11 05:12 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Our Outback is now 2 years old and has been a great vehicle. It's big enough for trips around town, yet fits in the garage. It has more than enough leg room in the rear seat and still have plenty of cargo room. The CVT transmission takes a little getting used to, but overall has been great. It'll take a second to build revs when you hit the gas, but a normal transmission would take a second to downshift too, so it's about the same. Child seat is easy to install and remove. Our Outback has been averaging 28 mpg with mostly intown driving. On a recent trip, the highway MPG was averaging 34. I've seen a lot of complaints about steering issues. I haven't experienced any, ours does fine.

Still glad I sold it
By huskerfan_1 on 07/04/11 16:24 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had this car for exactly one year. Special ordered and purchase in Nov. 2009 and sold Nov. 2010. I am still seeing reviews noting the same deficiancies I left in my March 2010. review. I went on to purchase a 2011 Honda CRV. Still not the best, but it doesn't have ANY handling issues and comes with same crappy Continental tires. It has a better throttle response and the car is secure when entering and exiting tight exit ramps. The sound system is a trillion times better than the Harmon Kardon. I see many of these on the road and wonder if the owner has regretted their purchase.

just gets better
By alzada on 06/13/11 07:01 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Odometer just turned 20,000. Have had none of the problems some other owners reported. Wish Subaru had some of the things found on practically everybody else's cars at this trim level [doors that lock when you put it in gear, turn signals on mirrors would be nice] but without a doubt, I feel more secure driving this than ANY other car (or truck) I've ever driven since I started driving in 1963. [and considering I am a "car-aholic", that's over 50 vehicles!]

There's a LOT of room for improvement!
By westtxlady on 05/28/11 14:17 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

If I had written this review after three months of ownership I would have given it a solid 5 stars, but here's the thing - after you drive it for a while, you start to notice a lot of "little" things that turn out to be pretty darn big. The car stalls at low speeds, especially on inclines, but often on flat surfaces. This is annoying when climbing in a mountainous area or in stop-and-go rush hour traffic - dangerous because when you tell your car to GO! you expect it to go! Took the car to the dealership, described the issue and after a test drive they said that they didn't feel or find the problem that I was talking about. The AC doesn't stay cold and is inadequate for West Texas heat.

Great vehicle, finally grown up
By downeast3 on 04/28/11 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Seems every time Subaru revamps a car there is quit a lot of controversy. I formerly drove a 1997 OB with 5 speed. I loved it but had to give it up due to poor ergonomincs. I'm 6'3" and used to get a lot of right hip pain when I drove for more than 2-3 hrs. I had a lot of 16 hr plus cross country trips in that car and it used to just wear me out. I had to swear off Subaru untill the 2010 came out. Love the fit and feel. Very comortable, more economical with the 6 speed. Not a dog but not as sporty either. For real travelling, there is no substitute for comfort! Nice to be able to get to Sugarloaf after the 2 1/2 hr drive feeling fresh and ready to ski! Very relieable so far!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$98 per month*