Used 2010 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Very Disappointed
By sarah19goddess

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car new off the lot and I have owned it for 1.5 years. From the very start I've had nothing but problems. Here's a list of issues: The GPS hard drive unit crapped out, entire unit replaced. Sun roof leaked twice in the first rains. Had to have new seals put in and buy a car cover. Sound system has been horrible from the start. At low volume the sound goes in and out in waves. Plastic seat casing along driver side seat kept popping off the track and then cracked. Passenger seat motor died, replaced. Check engine light keeps reappearing for gas cap (erroneously). Electronic e-break system keeps getting stuck engaged causing excessive wear. There's more but I'm out of characters.

Favorite Features

The space in the car is amazing. Rear passengers have plenty of leg room. The inside feels enormous while the body feels like a sedan. Even though there is a wobble/shimmy while driving straight on the freeway, the car handles corners really well, especially for a wagon. AWD is great and drives amazing in ice and snow. Front seats recline all the way back - awesome. Rear seats even recline a bit.

Suggested Improvements

Awkward placement of automatic window buttons. The foot heater is pretty much non-existent, works great in all other directions. Needs better sound system (see above complaint). Needs better visibility. Paddle-shifters on the steering wheel are an awful idea for people who drive windy roads, they should have kept them on the shifter in the center console.

An outstanding vehicle
By reinman2

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned quite a few cars in my 45 years of driving and this is one of the best. It doesn't have the element of luxury my BMW's and Mercedes have had in the past but it is far and away the most trouble free and reliable cars ever. I have had it in storage since I bought it and used it briefly in 2010 driving from West Coast to the east but through, snow, ice and tornado's and incredible winds it was effortless. A quality automobile and although I love driving Beemers I hate taking them to the shop which is a constant. Subaru does it right and the 2010 redesign was an excellent example of fine engineering, while not the fastest definitely the safest and most reliable I have owned.

Favorite Features

Love the Bluetooth, wish I had purchased the NAV system as well wish the Satellite radio had been built in like a Toyota I had recently. Regardless love the economy of CVT, heated seats, sunroof, the rack is unique and overall the spacious interior of much larger vehicle. Harmon Kardon is a great stereo and blows you out. Love it..

Suggested Improvements

A little better fuel economy with a bit better throttle response, steering is fine but a little understeering perhaps. Built in Satellite Option would be fantastic.

Blind spot and poor sight lines are a deal killer
By fyb

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had this car on lease for over two years, it will be going back to the dealer. It's okay for around town driving at moderate speeds. On the highway I find the car exhausting to drive on trips longer than 30 min. The sightlines make me feel as though I am hurling through space. CVT delay is significant and the blind spots take away my confidence so I stay in the slow lane and rarely go over 65mph, which is not my normal style of driving. I live in the NYC area and am accustomed to aggressive driving and drivers. My boyfriend hates driving this car too, and being a passenger is no better. The design/windshield angle makes the passenger feel as though we are going to crash at any moment.

Favorite Features

Nice interior, lots of leg room. The mileage met my expectations, but I had an Explorer so anything would be an improvement. I installed leather seats with the expectation that we would buy the car off the lease, live and learn. Nice sunroof too.

Suggested Improvements

The sight lines are awful. The rear headrests almost completely block the view; I removed them but for people who have children, this may not be an option. The car has huge blind spots. Even if you turn your head, you can't see what is coming up on you. I added convex mirrors which have helped somewhat. Radio control on steering wheel work sporadically. When the headlight blew, the mechanic had to remove the battery to change the bulb, I don't know if that is standard. Do yourself a favor and test drive lots of cars before making your decision.

2012 Outback
By lkarickhoff

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This cars steering was so bad, with about a 1/2 inches of play at center that I took it back to O'Brien's in Fort Myers FL with less than 150 miles on it. I asked if I could get my 2009 Outback back. They said there was nothing they could do. They said my 09 Outback was sold back to Subaru, and gone. I later saw that it was in there back lot. So they lied. So I traded for a Hyudai until I can figure out what I want next. I lost about 10 to 12 thousand that weekend. I have had 45 new cars.

Favorite Features

Not my old Outback.

Suggested Improvements

Drive it home before you buy one.

Excellent Choice... 2 yrs later
By yycfamily

2010 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my 2010 Subaru Outback since August 2009..... still one of the best, trouble free cars I have owned. Previous to this I had a VW Touareg and a SAAB 95 Wagon. The Outback feels more solid and I have only had to take it into the shop for regular servicing..... meanwhile the others spent more time in shop than out of it. Definitely a quality product! I wish I had got leather seating but, that's my fault not Subaru's.

Favorite Features

Drive.

Suggested Improvements

Temp gauge.