2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2010 Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sort Reviews by

Very Disappointed
By sarah19goddess

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car new off the lot and I have owned it for 1.5 years. From the very start I've had nothing but problems. Here's a list of issues: The GPS hard drive unit crapped out, entire unit replaced. Sun roof leaked twice in the first rains. Had to have new seals put in and buy a car cover. Sound system has been horrible from the start. At low volume the sound goes in and out in waves. Plastic seat casing along driver side seat kept popping off the track and then cracked. Passenger seat motor died, replaced. Check engine light keeps reappearing for gas cap (erroneously). Electronic e-break system keeps getting stuck engaged causing excessive wear. There's more but I'm out of characters.

Favorite Features

The space in the car is amazing. Rear passengers have plenty of leg room. The inside feels enormous while the body feels like a sedan. Even though there is a wobble/shimmy while driving straight on the freeway, the car handles corners really well, especially for a wagon. AWD is great and drives amazing in ice and snow. Front seats recline all the way back - awesome. Rear seats even recline a bit.

Suggested Improvements

Awkward placement of automatic window buttons. The foot heater is pretty much non-existent, works great in all other directions. Needs better sound system (see above complaint). Needs better visibility. Paddle-shifters on the steering wheel are an awful idea for people who drive windy roads, they should have kept them on the shifter in the center console.

Still Happy after a Year
By billradio

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It has been about a year of ownership of my Outback. This is the family's 3rd Subaru and my 2nd Outback. It may be too nice a car for me. Subaru owners use their car for hard work, rough terrain and bad weather. The 2010 model change made the car nicely refined and still able to perform those utilitarian functions. The upgraded audio/Bluetooth option was a good investment. I love the CVT transmission: in the mountains it adjusts as necessary instead of the constant shifting up & down on convential trannies. The 4-cylinder is more than adequate to climb on the interstate hills at full speed. The larger interior is great. The gas mileage is much better than expected.

Favorite Features

The larger gas tank adds to the long range of this vehicle. I didn't think the shift paddles were a good idea but found they are a MUCH better way to downshift when going downhill. The downsides of this car are typical of the class. The steering is a bit loose. It's noisy at higher engine speeds, but quieter than the CRV I also considered. The vent fan is noisy at the 2nd speed position but I normally don't need it higher than the first. I was disappointed the 2010 didn't have breakaway side mirrors, but I can now buy one which makes this less of a concern. The roof rack is accepatable but our ski bindings barely fit between the fore & aft cross bars. The bike rack fit fine.

Suggested Improvements

Thumbs up on this Outback.

2011 Outback 2.5 limited w/auto CVT
By mike07734

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Over all, the vehicle is awesome. Had some issues with rattle in roof liner up near the sunroof, front passenger door. Dealer fixed. Another issue now surfaced after the custom installed the ambient light package, now the switch for the vent on the passenger side is stuck in the open position. They also put watered down wiper fluid in the wiper fluid tank during the last oil change. Drove to upstate NY where the washer jets froze up. Had to go to the store and buy real wiper fluid that doesn't freeze, then let the car engine warm up the frozen lines. Other than that, no other issues.

Favorite Features

It's snow capability. I got caught coming home from work in the snomagedden after Christmas in NJ. Drove to the shore where I live from up in Piscataway, left work at 6pm took 2 hours to drive what normally takes 30 min. The closer I got to home the deeper the snow got. Came down my street was un-plowed and about 9 inches on the ground with 2.5 ft drifts of light fluffy snow, the outback just plowed right through that drift and kept going, snow came up over the hood, and blew off the windshield, turned around at the dead end near the beach sand dune came back up the street absolutely no problems backing up and turning around. Wagon is so unbelievable in the snow with that AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, it's a great car. Very comfortable on the highway it's a real comfortable highway cruiser, lots of room inside especially back seat leg and head room. Absolutely no improvements need to be made, this is one awesome ride. :)

2010 SUV of the Year? Not really...
By Chebosto

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I needed a larger car due to family expansion and was drawn to the Outback due to the MotorTrend SUV of year award. Since owing the car since June, I believe that award to be false advertising. Our 2.5 Ltd does have good mpg & excellent interior design and ergonomics however there are too many minor issues to be truly satisfied with the car. The 2.5 H4 with the CVT transmission is weak and clunks when getting out of D or P; steering wheel vibrations @ 70-80 mph is hand numbing during long trips; Non-folding side mirrors annoying when parking; rear end sways in side winds; AC does not stay cold when idling; roof cross bars inadequate for most rack systems; the stereo sounds terrible. Sigh.

Favorite Features

High ground clearance, Driver controls easy to reach. Reclining rear seats. Ample room for baby seat, baby stroller, and large dog carrier. Leather is soft. If you can live with the negatives, the car is a good price alternative versus the AWD Toyota Highlander/Venza and Ford Edge SUV/CUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the steering wheel shake. The shake was not evident until AFTER driving 2800 mi. During the test drive it was NOT there. When the car is @ 70-80mph the steering wheel shakes and can be felt throughout the cabin. Poor front end suspension/chassis engineering on Subaru's part. FAIL.

Outback
By zeke

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Driven 4000 miles. I am really happy with the purchase. Needed a family car and was not interested in SUV gas mileage. Been getting 27 mpg combined. The CVT is slick but does get confused at times. It is a little funny looking and after coming from a BMW m3 performance and outback should not be in the same sentence. But its versatility and price can not be beat.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable, and back seat has plenty of leg room for adults or baby car seats. and the rear seats recline.

Suggested Improvements

the radio display looks outdated. looks like it belongs in 90's luxury car.

First Subaru
By Ohio

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Best features for the money, seriously considered a VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, however felt too small inside. If the Subaru had a diesel available it would have been much easier. In our first 3,300 miles averaging 27/28 mpg everyday driving and 31/32 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. These are actual numbers, not those on the dash computer which seems to run 1 1/2 mpg high. The more I drive it the more value for the money I feel we bought. Replaced an Audi A6 Quartto with 197k miles. AWD is the only way to go, not only for winter driving but also in heavy rain and even on dry surfaces. The CVT trans is super quiet, only at hard acceleration is it noticed. The paddle shifters are great.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, CVT, space for cargo, interior features, driving position, definitely buy the Limited model. Only item to change is the MPG gauge one the dash, should be a temp gauge.

Suggested Improvements

Drop the mpg gauge, replace with temp gauge, longer bottom seat cushions. Great value for the cost. Purchased the car $500 below invoice without any problems and received delivery on order in 5 weeks.

Pleased
By Edwards

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm very happy to have a new car after driving the last one for 12 years. However, I thought once I got a new car all that engine noise would stop. Not the case with my new car. It is a little louder than I expected. I called the dealer and they said it was normal with CVT and the OB. I hope it stops soon, or I get used to it. Other than that I LOVE IT! It is a beautiful car and very comfortable. My friends and family liked it so much they are all looking to get one. Feel of luxury with a great price!

Favorite Features

I did drive my last car for 12 years and it was bottom of the line 12 years ago. So I'm a little excited about the Bluetooth. My husband loved the adjustable seat. he's tall and it's the first car we both could fit in.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that the bluetooth would import my cell numbers. Also with my husband being a foot taller I wish that the seat would auto adjust based on our keys.

Great car, Awesome Harman Kardon audio!
By Steve B

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Replaced a Honda CR-V, was a very good decision for us. The Outback is roomier, more versatile, has better features for the money. So far, we are very pleased with the decision. CVT took some getting used to - the wind up/wind down is not something I have experienced before. Resulting gas mileage is a reasonable trade off. We thought about getting the V- 6 - glad we did not.

Favorite Features

Harman Kardon audio system is fantastic - the sound is concert quality! Seats are very comfortable, interior very well laid out. Very solid feel to this car - I have very high hopes for the quality and reliability - we'll see. Handsfree Bluetooth is a great feature.

Suggested Improvements

Electric parking brake I could do without, also seat trim at bottom of front seats in rear "pill up" an snag when putting feet against it - kind of weird. otherwise we are pretty pleased.

3000 miles and still liking it
By Sf Guy

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Wife and I returned to Subaru after we decided to replace our 01 Legacy GT Sedan. The OB 2.5i with CVT does a very nice job regarding comfort ability and mileage. Regarding handling? If I compare it to our old land cruiser its fantastic! If I compare the handling to our old Legacy GT its terrible. The OB is a very good handling SUV and a very marginal handling car as to be expected with the SUV ride height and ability. Rear seat is king when it comes to big kids car seats and comfort etc. The CVT took some getting use to but it does a fantastic job keeping to the power band. Subaru needs to build a turbo and non turbo Legacy GT wagon! Not everyone will find the SUV/Car performance likable.

Favorite Features

Mileage - rear seat room and luggage space! HK audio system with subwoofer and tweeters sounds decent for such a large interior space. Drives very good for a SUV

Suggested Improvements

Make the seat bottom in the front seats the same length as the older 01 generation about an inch longer. Offer a Legacy GT wagon option!

Fabulous vehicle
By lyleseven

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this vehicle as an all around car for commuting and transporting my bicycles. It is terrific to take my bike in the back without having to remove the front wheel of the bike. Plenty of room! Great fit and finish and comfortable to drive.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, space, xm radio, comfort and fuel economy (25 around town and 31 on the highway).

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle stability control is a bit slow to react.