2010 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great vehicle, finally grown up
By downeast3 on 04/28/11 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Seems every time Subaru revamps a car there is quit a lot of controversy. I formerly drove a 1997 OB with 5 speed. I loved it but had to give it up due to poor ergonomincs. I'm 6'3" and used to get a lot of right hip pain when I drove for more than 2-3 hrs. I had a lot of 16 hr plus cross country trips in that car and it used to just wear me out. I had to swear off Subaru untill the 2010 came out. Love the fit and feel. Very comortable, more economical with the 6 speed. Not a dog but not as sporty either. For real travelling, there is no substitute for comfort! Nice to be able to get to Sugarloaf after the 2 1/2 hr drive feeling fresh and ready to ski! Very relieable so far!

Great Vehicle, No Regrets
By Former Truck Driver on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Coming from a Nissan Xterra to the Subaru was exceptionally easy. The 2010 Outback offers the greatest value, safety, fuel economy, and quality for a discriminating buyer. The 6spd is clean and crisp with close ratios for easy shifting. The AWD system performs exemplary with the only problem being slight cases of over confidence (a few trips around an empty parking lot to get used to the car is a smart move!). Subaru hit the mark with this car. The appeal of the vehicle is with a wide range of buyers with styling that is simple yet great for a family. Some have had issues with recalls on the vehicle but that shows a company willing to listen and improve their products.

Nothing To Write Home About
By hammer6048 on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

My first Subie, be aware of the shakes that can occur with this car. Do some digging before you buy. Good gas mileage for the size, which is nice. There is a negative, very poor acceleration, I have the four with a manual transmission. You will need to plan your moves in the highway, faster traffic will come up fast in the passing lane and flooring the car does nothing. Comfortable ride on the highway, good seats.

The engine can shut off while turning
By Delta on 07/29/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this after driving a 1999 Forester for 10 years. We also have a 2005 Outback in the family. I initially like that this Outback is bigger, but quickly found that it is clunkier to shift and does not have the pick-up or power I could feel in my old Forester. Also, the trunk/hatch door is unnecessarily heavy and a pain to open and close. There have been two recalls necessitating trips back to the dealer for fixes. Now, after having the engine just cut off during turns several times, I have learned from my dealership that they've seen this with 2010 Outbacks. Engines can just shut off while driving! Seriously dangerous and the recall for this has not yet been written.

Needs redesign of back end
By Heather on 05/08/10 05:10 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Within a month of owning this car, the thin piece of trim above the rear hatch release snapped in half. To fix, the entire rear panel (with multiple parts, like the logo, lights, etc.) has to be bought: $400+. Thanks, Subaru. Why isn't this a large, solid panel? And why can't individual parts be purchased? Also, the hatch door can be difficult to close, making me repeatedly get out of the car to close the door. You have to slam it. Otherwise have loved the car. Road trip mileage of 34 mpg/500 miles on that tank! Previous car was 01 Forester with 180K.

Having Second Thoughts on Subaru
By Erik59 on 04/14/10 16:51 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a manual 2010 Outback after wrecking my BMW in a snow storm. It definitely has great all-weather traction, and is very comfortable. I'm very tall and I fit very comfortably in the front seats. The power front driver's seat is nice. It does OK on the highway, but is more jittery than my old car. I thought the manual transmission would be fun (my last 4 cars were manuals) but the clutch engagement is very high, and not progressive. The 4 cylinder engine has just enough oomph but is very noisy at anything more than medium throttle. The handling is clumsy compared to a car, but probably better or on par with other mid-size SUVs. Should have gone with the AWD Ford Fusion

Good All-Around SUV
By Matt on 03/24/10 17:09 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Extremely satisfied so far - wanted an AWD vehicle with manual transmission that was good on gas and could haul my bike and kayak. Also have two small children, so ride quality was also important. Outback has met or exceeded all of these requirements. Comfortable on long trips - averaged 33 mpg highway; getting 24.3 mpg in mixed driving. People have commented on how they like the dark gray color, and that it looks like a more expensive vehicle.

Former VW - BMW Owner
By bigchief on 03/19/10 18:22 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Made my decision to purchase after getting my BMW out of winter storage, became exhausted from the pounding of those run flat tires, just terrible. The ride is smooth, vehicle is sure footed, I now enjoy a relaxed commute. Purchased the 2.5 with manual transmission, just could not become convinced on the CVT. About 1,000 miles into it and has been enjoyable thus far.

Great Car. Worth the price.
By dplantier on 03/09/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We bought in late fall. Handles great, rides good. Can be tricky getting into reverse & other gears. Layout of controls is very well planned out & easy to adjust for all drivers. We live in the North East and this is the 2nd one we own. It handles the dirt roads in Massachusetts as well as it handles the highway.

Love the new outback
By Peter on 03/06/10 07:25 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Traded up from my 02 Outback Sport. Great room for the family including a 6ft tall son in the back. Love the 6 speed manual, especially with the short throw shifter installed. Average city/highway is ~24 mpg (about the same as my smaller outback sport). Very quiet and the lumbar support is great. Looking forward to the next 100,000 miles

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$97 per month*