2009 Subaru Outback 2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Clunk is what makes a

2009 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Clunk is what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
By vaa4 on

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was very happy about our new vehicle purchase (Jul'09) until we hit a bump in the road...an uneven bump. Rack and Pinion is designed to clunk every time wheels are turned and hit an uneven pavement (fact). Happens on driveways and while turning on an imperfect road. Took 3 service trips to find out at over 75% of Outbacks suffer from this issue. Done 3 trips to get front vibrations (tires?) taken care of, still in progress. Front rotors already machined (2K miles). Driver door handle cable is loose, haven't addressed yet. If I was a Die-hard Subaru fan, I may have ignored these imperfections since no other vehicle fits my lifestyle that well, but I am having a hard time coping with it yet.

Favorite Features

50/50 AWD, Turbo H4 with SI Drive, Smooth Manual transmission (may have N sensor, which could be used for Remote Start), Awesome instrument lighting, Traction/Skid control is not overactive (can stay ON for spirited driving), Heated/Power Seats, High Leather quality.

Suggested Improvements

Rack and Pinion that doesn't clunk like a 20-year old Buick when turning into driveways. Build quality is not on par with other Japanese brands (Toyota/Honda/Nissan). Add HID lights option. Dual climate control to adjust both temps by driver's dial (same as Lexus).