Used 2009 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

My 3k mile trip
By joseph sherman

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2009 Outback 4/30/2009. I traded my 1999 Outback. I bought the new Outback because I got a great deal and I didn't look forward to 3k miles in the very uncomfortable '99 Outback driver seat. I have only one complaint about my new Outback. The cruise control is anemic! The cruise control in my '99, the car raced up hills regardless of incline or elevation. In this car, it acts like "the little engine who couldn't". Climb performance is affected by incline and/or elevation. On descent, it has trouble holding assigned speed. The cruise control is hit or miss in the mountains and on medium to steep inclines. Otherwise, the car is great and all I'd hoped it would be... so far.

The auxiliary jack for my i-pod, the garage door opener and compass in the rear view mirror, the much improved seats and fabric, the gas mileage (as advertised or better) to name a few.

Do something about the cruise control and then fix it under warranty.

I love Subaru Outback
By research

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchase this vehicle for couple months and made 2000 miles on this car with a trip to Tahoe. Kind of lack of power when up the hill on the Tahoe but that's 4cyl car design. The only thing I don't like and realized after the trip is the armrest too low, I have no place to rest my arm. So far this is the first Subaru car I bought and it's fun to drive.

AWD, more space in the trunk, style and interior quality, high clearance

Very low arm rest

Good - should be better
By David

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Came to this vehicle from 2003 base forester. 2009 forester felt too minivan and flimsy. Outback is a solid feeling vehicle, handles very well, is quiet and relaxing on the road. Exterior of 2009 model has a sharp mature look. HK stereo is a plus. Gas mileage OK... poor in city, good on freeway. Package of good high end options. At the price I paid other cars feel like plastic in comparison. If this vehicle were one foot shorter it would be fun to drive and also be a much better urban vehicle.

Velvety ride and handling. Not an SUV so corners wonderfully. Quietness and HK sound system. Nice package of handy features.

Legacy designers talk to the Impreza crew. Should have hill holder. Wheel wells too narrow for snow. Poor OEM tires for snow and ice. Driver controls hard to find without staring (dangerous). Display gauge... put temp, time, avg MPG on same window. One foot shorter would be a better urban vehicle.

Great but not enough storage
By Jane

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. The smooth ride, styling, sunroof, equipment, cargo space, tinted rear windows and gas mileage. My last car only used premium and got 13 mpg. I haul tools, ladders, dogs and people. With plenty of room. However, the glove box is small and the center armrest doesn't hold much stuff. It could definitely use more storage cubby's for little objects. I have no place to store my CD's. My last Subaru had over 100K with no problem!

Sunroof, cargo space, comfortable seats, radio, tinted rear windows etc.

More storage for little things. Even with the manual down shift, a little more horsepower for merging onto the expressways in Chicago.

Finally bought the Outback
By Dog629

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very pleased with my purchase, and happy I opted to go for the extras on the SE model. I find the engine to be quite capable and powerful for both city and highway driving. The car feels well grounded and handles well. Nicely designed inside and out, it returns quite a bang for the buck in regards to all the features, in my opinion.

Handling, safety rating, great interior design, intuitive and user-friendly controls, quite pleased with the HK stereo.

Tight back seat. Better MPG would be nice, but for an all wheel drive vehicle I'm satisfied.