2009 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
More fun than expected
By tulsa tom on 10/23/08 18:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This thing handles like a sports car, rides very nice and has quiet interior. I get 26-27 avg mpg using 87 reg. There's plenty of room to haul camping and fishing gear.

A fun car to drive
By Dima on 10/20/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having recently purchased an Outback, I was pleasantly surprised with how much fun this car is - sporty handling, nice balance, very good 5-speed shifter. It has much sportier character than one would expect from a wagon. Recently, I had spent some time driving on semi-paved country roads, and was impressed with the suspension that made driving over the potholes and washed- out portions of the road bearable. Although I do not get good mileage in the city, barely 20 mpg, it probably has more to do with my driving style. On the highway, I am consistently in the 26-28 mpg range.

A WRX trapped inside a Volvo's body!
By withdrew on 10/09/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We have a baby now so we needed something more versatile than our previous car ('02 BMW 325i) but just as sporty and fun to drive. The Subaru Outback delivers in every way. It's a great looking wagon inside and out, the build quality is solid and in 2.5 XT form, it's more powerful than our old BMW. I couldn't ask for more. The Outback is smooth and powerful and feels like a much more expensive car. It's very quiet and low-revving, I barely go over 4,000 RPM. There's plenty of room in the rear for a baby-stroller, groceries, luggage, golf clubs, etc. In our old sedan that was a major issue. The 5 speed manual is responsive and crisp. The 2.5 XT Limited is the best Outback available, period.

1st time Subaru owner
By 1st time Subaru on 10/04/08 07:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

As a first time Subaru owner I did not know what to expect. It is the first car that I have owned that does not have a frame around the door's windows. Maybe I do not drive the way the others do but my mileage has been less than expected. My last car was a Toyota Highlander and did really well in the snow and not bad on mileage, so this new car has a lot to live up to. I have owned others, Acura, Nissan, Audi and Toyota and, in my opinion, all had better initial quality. I am looking forward to the snow because I have heard great things.

My First Subaru
By KentuckyRanger on 10/02/08 11:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was disabled back in 06 and I need a car I know is going to last. After months of research the choice was obvious, I just wanted to wait till the 09s were out because they come standard with VDC which was well worth the wait after driving it. If you have any common sense you'll find it almost impossible to throw this car out of control. There's a store in the neighborhood that just sprayed their lot with sealant, very slick when wet. It rained yesterday morning so off I went. Around and around, I couldn't get this thing to spin out! Finally I just went in circles until the car went beyond what the tires could handle and I slid sideways. 20 Stars!!

Update...
By ywilson on 09/03/08 07:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is an update on my Soobie. Man I have to say that this is one great car. I have no complaints after 5400+ miles. No problems, great ride and the gas mileage is going up just like everyone said it would. My best to date was 33.7 MPG. I change my own oil and will do my others as well when the time comes. It is easy to work on this car if you are slightly mechanically inclined. Everything is reachable. This is going to be my 10 years car! Sorry Subaru but I am keeping this one for a long time. It is obvious it will last!!

Outback 2.5i New
By YWilson on 07/11/08 09:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Well, this is my first Subaru. I am very happy with this purchase. The only thing is I drove off the lot with a tapping in one of my tires. Turns out a screw came loose and stuck in my tire. It was from the Tire Pressure Monitor. Strange. Still waiting on a special "screw" for this part. It's been 3 days. Otherwise the car is great. The dealer replaced the tire for free. I drive 100 miles a day and it get's better gas mileage as it breaks in. This will be a long term keeper for me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$100 per month*