2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Repeat purchase made perfect sense
By Repeat Buyer on 01/25/09 17:52 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We love this car. Size, ride, features, quality, performance, and price/value are all outstanding. If you live in an area or have a lifestyle that warrants AWD then a Subaru is all you need and more. ENJOY!

A lot of car for the money!
By chasen84 on 01/10/09 14:39 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I live in Colorado where snow is an issue, so I needed a car with AWD. This car has excellent build quality. I previously owned a 3-series BMW and this car is comparable in many ways. The transmission is as good as the BMW, as is the ride quality. Though nothing handles like a BMW IMO, this comes close. You won't win many drag races with the 2.5, but it is adequate and fun. If I hadn't gotten so many tickets in college and therefore cost so much to insure, I would've gotten the turbo, I think. Overall this is a lot of car for the money. The seats are softer than my BMW, but not as soft as the Volvo I test drove. I prefer softer seats when given the choice.

Good Family Car
By tm on 12/28/08 21:23 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this vehicle only a few weeks and already love it. I traded a Toyota RAV4 2007 for the Outback. The Outback is a lot quieter. I have an 8 year old and a 3 month old and swear the back seat is wider. I love the space in the back.

Good performance
By Mac on 12/28/08 20:50 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The driving is perfect. I only feel that the interior design need to be improved to create more space. I hardly can operate the windows with a door handle just 3 inches away.

Value/Sensible/Utility/Perfect
By Jason on 12/01/08 12:48 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Our 9 year old Jeep Cherokee was involved in a collision that totaled the vehicle. We originally intended to replace it with another similar SUV but decided to give the Outback 2.5i SE a try thanks to $4 gas. The Outback has been fantastic ever since, good power, acceptable gas mileage, nice handling, good utility, beautiful interior, just an overall solid package with the SE trim (very much worth it over base). This is a lot of car for the money, totally recommended.

Liking it so far
By new2subi on 11/27/08 11:34 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

With a new baby, we had to ditch the pony car for this one, and we are not disappointed. We liked the interior/exterior, acceleration, comfort, etc, which is why we bought it. We are very happy with the car thus far, and can't wait to take it camping, skiing, and on the road. Wind noise is noticeable, but coming from a convertible, this is not a problem. Stereo is great, as is the 6 disc option and steering wheel controls.

2nd Subaru
By George on 11/19/08 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just sold my 7 year old 2002 Legacy Wagon L,with 215,000 miles. It was very hard to part with,since it never let me down and will give the new owner many more thousands of miles. I upgraded to the Special Edition 5 speed Outback on 11/01/08. The test drive sold me. I drive extensively in both city and highway. This is a non-pretentious car that is as good looking at the campground as it is pulling up to a top Manhattan restaurant. I expect the same reliability and longevity. I also expect greater mpg than listed, since I did experience the same on my prior Subaru Wagon. Also,annual maintenance is relatively inexpensive and resale value is high.

Poor start
By Paul on 11/16/08 18:52 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have not seen other reviews for the 2009 3.0R, so here it is. The car is great to drive and both the stereo and nav are fun to use once you get past the complexity of the user interface. Mileage is as advertised; should not expect better with this power and AWD. Now the down side. After 5 days and 500km, the check engine light came on with flashing cruise and shift control lights. The dealer had difficulty trouble shooting, but claimed to find the root cause after 2 days in the shop, replacing a solenoid that is used for control of one of the cams. One day after I got the car back I am staring at the same failure. This is not the reliability that I expected from a Subaru!

Fast but quiet Turbo Wagon
By Joe on 11/14/08 04:50 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Very happy with the turbo compared to the 2005. Also, this car is much quieter than the 2005 and has much better acceleration. Very comfortable seats for long distances. Harmon Kardon stereo is an improvement but there are rattles from the front doors probably from things in the storage areas. Prefer the multifunction display to be under the storage area instead of under the speedometer/tach. Also like the feature to adjust the throttle response and turbo to either sport for stronger acceleration or intelligent for better gas mileage. I just leave it on intelligent unless I want to pass and it really "shoots" around when you punch the gas.

Dependable
By Vincent on 11/02/08 00:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We own a bmw 7 series and Mercedes E Class and I have to say I am impressed with the quality of the interior. I think it's on par with the Benz. Harmon Kardon radio is excellent. Leather seats are nice. I'm not tall, I'm 5,7 so I have no complaints sitting anywhere in the wagon. We needed a car that would serve as our daily commuter to work from the suburbs to Manhattan. This is our 3rd Subaru for this purpose. If you're looking for a car that will protect your family and keep you on the roads no matter the road/ weather conditions, then this is it. We are extremely happy with this car. IMO, this is a good alternative to those large SUVs because it's easier to navigate and park in the city.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$107 per month*