Used 2009 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Love my "Roo"
By James

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had this car for a year now, it is my 3rd Subie and second Outback. Put 200,000 miles on my 1998 and loved it, almost broke down when I sold it. We bought this one in California; and after two road trips to SF and Tahoe, shipped it to Germany and have driven to Prague, Berlin, and Amsterdam. She slides along nicely on the Autobahn at 100 mph with ease, the 2.5i at under 4K rpm! Very comfortable with me and mom in the front and the two kids in the back.

Heated leather seats are very nice in the winter. Stereo is great, and really appreciate the iPod jack. Love the HUGE sunroof, and visibility is very good for a wagon. I like the exterior/interior styling much better than the 2010 version as well.

It's minor, but the rear cup holder has been used as a foot rest by my kids and has quickly broken. The rear "PZEV" tag is silly and should be replaced by "Limited" as in previous years. Very minor suggestions.

Couldn't ask for more
By Greatcar

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The XT Turbo is plain fun to drive. The front seat is roomy, the cockpit layout and lighting are fantastic, the turbocharged engine does anything you could ask for, and the all wheel drive provides sure footing in any weather. This is my third Subie (after a Mazda, Honda, and 2 Toyotas), and I wouldn't trade it for any other make or model. Rear cabin storage is great. My only wish is would be for better city gas mileage, but it's a fun, fantastic car to drive.

cockpit layout, heated seats, good quality leather, turbo is FUN to drive

Bluetooth! More cockpit storage space (bigger glove box & console storage). Slightly bigger back seat. Better city gas mileage. Did I say Bluetooth?!

No regrets whatsoever
By Matt

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 5 speed MT Special Edition. I have gone from VW products to Audi and I have no regrets at all. The build is great, the AWD is extremely capable and I have never gotten it stuck (and I have tried as I take it down trails through mud and snow and over rocks to go biking), the comfort and visibility is fantastic, the power is not earth moving but good enough, the mileage is very good considering its a big 4 cylinder and just 5 speeds. The only real downside is that the leg room in the rear seat is very very tight.

The fact that I can still get a manual transmission. Better than any SUV in its price bracket capability and quality

Rear seat leg room

Liken It !!!
By michael

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a cold and snowy winter so far here in Minnesota,the all wheel drive and heated seats have been a real blessing. The HK sound system is wonderful and the 28 to 30 mpg on the interstate is very easy to take. I am still getting use to the cruse controls on the steering wheel,the one button control on my Toyota Highlander is much more user friendly. The 2010 Outback is bigger and as won some acclaim this year but I think the 08-09s still win the beauty prize,It's a good lookin little wagon!!! Am looking forward to many miles of happy motoring in our "Suby"

Very respectable MPG, great sound system, feels safe under me, nice clean lines.

The engine is a little loud at first cold start, the cruse control buttons on the wheel have taken some getting use to, I miss the old one button up, down, forward, back control.

Excellent car, some minor issues
By bhorek

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded down from an Acura MDX to save some $ and obtain better fuel economy. Our driving is mostly in suburban areas with some highway driving. The car suits our needs very well providing space for the occasional hauling of large items with much better gas mileage than the MDX so overall we are very happy with the car. Somewhat underpowered but we knew that before we bought and still find the car fun to drive with excellent handling.

Love the huge sunroof, enjoy the stereo system ( actually find the sound better than the MDX).

Could use more leg room in the back seat. Others have noted some vibration in the door handles from the bass in the stereo which we also found to be true. Quality of build is a concern with a few loose parts after 6,000 miles that so far are easy to fix.