2009 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews 5

2009 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Fun to drive Practical Car
By Rick on 04/03/09 06:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has a Forester and I've had other Subarus in the past. My son still drives my old 94 Legacy. My new 09 Outback is the best car I've ever owned. I waited until Subaru's spring event with $2K rebate + 2.9% to buy. The Outback seems quieter and more powerful than my wife's 07 Forester, although both have the same 2.5 engine. The handling is very secure, and it's fun to drive with its tight steering. This car inspires confidence on the road. Varying my speed during the break-in period, I have managed to get 28.3 calculated mpg on my first two tanks. It will probably be better when I am not varying speed & I think that is very good fuel economy for an AWD vehicle.

Perfect for dogs and overall utility
By 3DogNight on 03/29/09 18:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love driving this car. The ride is smooth yet still sporty. Subaru was clever with some really small stuff, like leaving a space for your ipod cable to exit the armrest storage. A simple clip to hold up the rear floor cover which accesses the "secret space" under the cargo area. I have three dogs and with the 1 of the rear seats down they can move around and get comfortable. (I purchased a very cool cargo cover from Canvasback of Idaho which makes clean up after taking the dogs to the lake much easier.) I love the big 17" tires and two tone exterior. I have the Newport Blue Pearl which is only 1 of 2 models with the silver cladding at the bottom. The sunroof is humongous.

2 Lemons
By Brian on 03/20/09 18:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My first 09 Outback was delivered to me with a broken heater. The next morning it took 7 tries to get it started. The car was replaced with another one. The second car was miss firing from the time of purchase and had a check engine light 6 days after purchase. Subaru HQ claims the miss firing is part of break in and they will not repair the vehicle.

Our New Outback
By Tom on 03/14/09 02:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We researched numerous cars and had focused on the Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV-4. We then hear about the Subaru Forester and test drove that great vehicle. But the Outback jumped into our possibilities and offered the best overall vehicle flexibility. The expressway ride and cool features/appearance sold us. The HK sound system is great and our iPod came to life like never before. After we brought this home, we discovered how many friends have owned Outbacks for years and will never switch to another vehicle. We are now part of the family of happy Outback owners. It is the perfect vehicle for us.

If You're Deaf This Car's for You
By crestfallen on 03/13/09 12:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I reluctantly traded in my beloved Audi Allroad because it was at the end of it's life. I was shopping for a manual transmission sports wagon and someone suggested the OutBack Turbo. I drove the car and was mildly impressed with the acceleration and ride so I decided to buy it. I never expected to be in the situation I'm in now. The tailgate rattles to the point that nobody wants to be in the car. I can't turn the radio up loud enough to mask it. It's been repaired 3 times and each time it rattles on the way out of the dealership. Subaru has no suggestions. Before you buy this car check out internet blogs about Outback rattles. There's literally dozens of them. This isn't uncommon!

My last car
By MaryAnn on 03/11/09 10:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When we got so much ice in December of 2008 I got tired of not being able to get my truck out of the parking lot so I went to Walker's Subaru and got an Outback Legacy Wagon. Best purchase I ever made. I love the ride, the lines and the AWD. Cargo area is great. I wish I had bought the Subaru 4 cars ago. I am not really into cars, just want to get where I am going and so far this car does it for me.

Nice Car
By TBUCK on 03/04/09 12:52 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Standard 2.5i better than what I read. Very comfortable to drive. Harmon Kardon stereo so-so. Mileage seems better than I would think.

An Outstanding Vehicle
By Jude on 02/15/09 14:14 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the 2009 Outback SE recently and took my wife on a road trip during some very heavy rain. The car handled extremely well on Interstate "heavy rain," rough roads with heavy rain, and incomplete roads. Never had any traction problems. Interior is very comfortable, easy to use (no extra stuff to figure out - simple and straight forward), and the cargo area is very useful. We are expecting our first child soon, and the child seat latch system seems very straight forward.

Eleven Subarus and counting
By John on 02/14/09 13:31 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Yep this is number eleven. First one was an 82. We think they are the best car for the money bar none, especially when you live in cold, snowy or wet climates. At one time had three all Outbacks.

Junkorama
By unhappy on 02/07/09 14:49 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased the car in November 2008, in Colorado. Violent bucking forced us to a dealer in New Mexico who told us that we could only use one brand of gasoline. Returned to the Colorado dealer who told us New Mexico dealer didn't know what it was doing, kept the car for awhile and replaced a camshaft sensor; assured us car was OK. It wasn't, so took it to yet another dealer, who replaced the turbocharger and some other parts; assured us car was OK. Observed gas mileage appears poor. We'll see if further observations confirm poor mileage. If they do, we're on the way to the court house! If not, we may sell it anyway. Word to the wise-- think twice before buying a Subaru.