Used 2009 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Liken It !!!
By michael

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a cold and snowy winter so far here in Minnesota,the all wheel drive and heated seats have been a real blessing. The HK sound system is wonderful and the 28 to 30 mpg on the interstate is very easy to take. I am still getting use to the cruse controls on the steering wheel,the one button control on my Toyota Highlander is much more user friendly. The 2010 Outback is bigger and as won some acclaim this year but I think the 08-09s still win the beauty prize,It's a good lookin little wagon!!! Am looking forward to many miles of happy motoring in our "Suby"

Favorite Features

Very respectable MPG, great sound system, feels safe under me, nice clean lines.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is a little loud at first cold start, the cruse control buttons on the wheel have taken some getting use to, I miss the old one button up, down, forward, back control.

Excellent car, some minor issues
By bhorek

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded down from an Acura MDX to save some $ and obtain better fuel economy. Our driving is mostly in suburban areas with some highway driving. The car suits our needs very well providing space for the occasional hauling of large items with much better gas mileage than the MDX so overall we are very happy with the car. Somewhat underpowered but we knew that before we bought and still find the car fun to drive with excellent handling.

Favorite Features

Love the huge sunroof, enjoy the stereo system ( actually find the sound better than the MDX).

Suggested Improvements

Could use more leg room in the back seat. Others have noted some vibration in the door handles from the bass in the stereo which we also found to be true. Quality of build is a concern with a few loose parts after 6,000 miles that so far are easy to fix.

blown engine and transmission
By johnny

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

this is my second subaru. My last one was a 95' legacy wagon, 215,000 miles. Never even had to replace the clutch, it was as tight as it was the day I got it. 09 outback 8 months, 16000 miles, blown engine and trans. I am sure this is a rare event. I do love the car, just an extreme pain and a hassle.

Favorite Features

Remote start and heated seats, I live in a cold part of the country.

Suggested Improvements

bluetooth, reverse camera (great for hooking up small trailers)

A great SUV alternative
By DrPete

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a car big enough to carry our whole family (me, wife, baby, and 2 dogs), and being a physician I needed something that would get me to work under any conditions. This car fits the bill beautifully. Fit and finish are amazing for this price point, ride quality is smooth and comfortable, and reliability so far has been great. The built-in nav system is quite detailed, and my only wish would be for a live traffic option. This is easily the most sure-footed car I've ever driven in the snow, and isn't top- heavy like most SUVs. My only real gripes are the lack of power from the 2.5i and limited back seat room when using a rear-facing car seat.

Favorite Features

AWD, traction control, beautiful fit/finish, solid build, very nice stereo. Having all rear windows tinted was a baby-friendly feature I didn't even know I wanted!

Suggested Improvements

The 2.5 is just not enough power for this car, but I kinda knew that going in. Also a couple inches in the back seats (longer door and more legroom) would be nice, especially when using a large rear-facing car seat.

Clunk is what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
By vaa4

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was very happy about our new vehicle purchase (Jul'09) until we hit a bump in the road...an uneven bump. Rack and Pinion is designed to clunk every time wheels are turned and hit an uneven pavement (fact). Happens on driveways and while turning on an imperfect road. Took 3 service trips to find out at over 75% of Outbacks suffer from this issue. Done 3 trips to get front vibrations (tires?) taken care of, still in progress. Front rotors already machined (2K miles). Driver door handle cable is loose, haven't addressed yet. If I was a Die-hard Subaru fan, I may have ignored these imperfections since no other vehicle fits my lifestyle that well, but I am having a hard time coping with it yet.

Favorite Features

50/50 AWD, Turbo H4 with SI Drive, Smooth Manual transmission (may have N sensor, which could be used for Remote Start), Awesome instrument lighting, Traction/Skid control is not overactive (can stay ON for spirited driving), Heated/Power Seats, High Leather quality.

Suggested Improvements

Rack and Pinion that doesn't clunk like a 20-year old Buick when turning into driveways. Build quality is not on par with other Japanese brands (Toyota/Honda/Nissan). Add HID lights option. Dual climate control to adjust both temps by driver's dial (same as Lexus).