Used 2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition Wagon Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

High number of Repairs
By jdillon2

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned 4 different Subarus. We bought the 2009 Outback new. It has had three major repairs since purchase. The most recent was a rebuild of the transfer case which cost $2200. We never had these types of major repairs before. I expect better from Subaru being an owner since 1991. They just aren't as good as in the past.

AWD

Much better quality control. The owner isn't there to be a test subject.

Starter motor broken at 40K
By rosenbom

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am from the country that produces worst cars possible and I had 3 cars there but neither of those got its starter motor broken at 40K as my NEW Subaru Outback 2009 I bought less than 3 years ago here in US. I LOVED my Outback but this problem ruined everything. Guys at Subaru Service informed me that starter motor almost dead and I have to wait about 3 weeks for new one! This is my worst auto experience. I wasn't imagine things like that here in US.

RELIABILITY!

No regrets whatsoever
By Matt

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 5 speed MT Special Edition. I have gone from VW products to Audi and I have no regrets at all. The build is great, the AWD is extremely capable and I have never gotten it stuck (and I have tried as I take it down trails through mud and snow and over rocks to go biking), the comfort and visibility is fantastic, the power is not earth moving but good enough, the mileage is very good considering its a big 4 cylinder and just 5 speeds. The only real downside is that the leg room in the rear seat is very very tight.

The fact that I can still get a manual transmission. Better than any SUV in its price bracket capability and quality

Rear seat leg room

Liken It !!!
By michael

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a cold and snowy winter so far here in Minnesota,the all wheel drive and heated seats have been a real blessing. The HK sound system is wonderful and the 28 to 30 mpg on the interstate is very easy to take. I am still getting use to the cruse controls on the steering wheel,the one button control on my Toyota Highlander is much more user friendly. The 2010 Outback is bigger and as won some acclaim this year but I think the 08-09s still win the beauty prize,It's a good lookin little wagon!!! Am looking forward to many miles of happy motoring in our "Suby"

Very respectable MPG, great sound system, feels safe under me, nice clean lines.

The engine is a little loud at first cold start, the cruse control buttons on the wheel have taken some getting use to, I miss the old one button up, down, forward, back control.

BIG Sub
By SCHATS

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car, have 12,000 miles, gas mileage has been better than expected. Would like a bit more power. Just finished a vacation traveling from Pittsburgh to Maine, 2500 miles averaged 28 MPG carrying quite a bit of camping equipment. The car always looks clean, shines beautifully, even with dust on it.

Color-Green, Cargo Space, Stereo system.

Larger Glove Box, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Audio Controls, More Horsepower.