2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Perfect family car
By wagondad on 04/07/11 11:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fills the duties of daily transportation perfectly, fast enough not to get boring and utilitarian enough that I don't feel guilty for enjoying it so much. The only thing I HATE about this car is the danged speakers rattling the door panels. REALLY?? Seriously guys, it's a $30,000 car and you couldn't spend the time in development to make sure the map pockets don't vibrate apart when someone's listening to music? Hell, even NPR throws this car for a loop...if Lakshmi Sing messes your sound system up, you have a problem. So I will spend this weekend stuffing my map pockets full of old towels. Oh, 45,000 miles and no problems. Original tires/brakes. Yeah, much love for Subaru.

Clunk is what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
By vaa4 on 11/20/09 08:31 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was very happy about our new vehicle purchase (Jul'09) until we hit a bump in the road...an uneven bump. Rack and Pinion is designed to clunk every time wheels are turned and hit an uneven pavement (fact). Happens on driveways and while turning on an imperfect road. Took 3 service trips to find out at over 75% of Outbacks suffer from this issue. Done 3 trips to get front vibrations (tires?) taken care of, still in progress. Front rotors already machined (2K miles). Driver door handle cable is loose, haven't addressed yet. If I was a Die-hard Subaru fan, I may have ignored these imperfections since no other vehicle fits my lifestyle that well, but I am having a hard time coping with it yet.

Blown engine at 2600
By Skoalsnuff on 08/20/09 11:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the car, that's why having this motor issue is so painful. Driving down the freeway and I hear tapping that gets progressively worse. With no associated lights car just shuts down. Dealer says I have blown motor, come to find out that they are having problems with turbos doing so. Funny thing is everyone at Subaru acts like it hasn't happened at all. Getting new motor, but not feeling good about car. Read up, the turbo's are lemons.

Great car
By Pere on 07/11/09 04:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have it for 2 months and very happy. Great feeling in S-sharp mode, only using Intelligent mode in city driving. Manual transmission is great (forget about automatic if you like to drive). I love the interior design and the HK sound system. Can't wait to drive it on snow but I drove it in very heavy rain and the feeling of stability is awesome. Best performance and better mileage than the Volvo XC70 at a more affordable price.

If You're Deaf This Car's for You
By crestfallen on 03/13/09 12:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I reluctantly traded in my beloved Audi Allroad because it was at the end of it's life. I was shopping for a manual transmission sports wagon and someone suggested the OutBack Turbo. I drove the car and was mildly impressed with the acceleration and ride so I decided to buy it. I never expected to be in the situation I'm in now. The tailgate rattles to the point that nobody wants to be in the car. I can't turn the radio up loud enough to mask it. It's been repaired 3 times and each time it rattles on the way out of the dealership. Subaru has no suggestions. Before you buy this car check out internet blogs about Outback rattles. There's literally dozens of them. This isn't uncommon!

Fast but quiet Turbo Wagon
By Joe on 11/14/08 04:50 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Very happy with the turbo compared to the 2005. Also, this car is much quieter than the 2005 and has much better acceleration. Very comfortable seats for long distances. Harmon Kardon stereo is an improvement but there are rattles from the front doors probably from things in the storage areas. Prefer the multifunction display to be under the storage area instead of under the speedometer/tach. Also like the feature to adjust the throttle response and turbo to either sport for stronger acceleration or intelligent for better gas mileage. I just leave it on intelligent unless I want to pass and it really "shoots" around when you punch the gas.

A WRX trapped inside a Volvo's body!
By withdrew on 10/09/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We have a baby now so we needed something more versatile than our previous car ('02 BMW 325i) but just as sporty and fun to drive. The Subaru Outback delivers in every way. It's a great looking wagon inside and out, the build quality is solid and in 2.5 XT form, it's more powerful than our old BMW. I couldn't ask for more. The Outback is smooth and powerful and feels like a much more expensive car. It's very quiet and low-revving, I barely go over 4,000 RPM. There's plenty of room in the rear for a baby-stroller, groceries, luggage, golf clubs, etc. In our old sedan that was a major issue. The 5 speed manual is responsive and crisp. The 2.5 XT Limited is the best Outback available, period.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$104 per month*