2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Starter motor broken at 40K
By rosenbom on 01/13/12 19:02 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am from the country that produces worst cars possible and I had 3 cars there but neither of those got its starter motor broken at 40K as my NEW Subaru Outback 2009 I bought less than 3 years ago here in US. I LOVED my Outback but this problem ruined everything. Guys at Subaru Service informed me that starter motor almost dead and I have to wait about 3 weeks for new one! This is my worst auto experience. I wasn't imagine things like that here in US.

No regrets whatsoever
By Matt on 03/30/10 06:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 5 speed MT Special Edition. I have gone from VW products to Audi and I have no regrets at all. The build is great, the AWD is extremely capable and I have never gotten it stuck (and I have tried as I take it down trails through mud and snow and over rocks to go biking), the comfort and visibility is fantastic, the power is not earth moving but good enough, the mileage is very good considering its a big 4 cylinder and just 5 speeds. The only real downside is that the leg room in the rear seat is very very tight.

Liken It !!!
By michael on 01/25/10 15:00 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a cold and snowy winter so far here in Minnesota,the all wheel drive and heated seats have been a real blessing. The HK sound system is wonderful and the 28 to 30 mpg on the interstate is very easy to take. I am still getting use to the cruse controls on the steering wheel,the one button control on my Toyota Highlander is much more user friendly. The 2010 Outback is bigger and as won some acclaim this year but I think the 08-09s still win the beauty prize,It's a good lookin little wagon!!! Am looking forward to many miles of happy motoring in our "Suby"

BIG Sub
By SCHATS on 09/30/09 15:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car, have 12,000 miles, gas mileage has been better than expected. Would like a bit more power. Just finished a vacation traveling from Pittsburgh to Maine, 2500 miles averaged 28 MPG carrying quite a bit of camping equipment. The car always looks clean, shines beautifully, even with dust on it.

My 3k mile trip
By joseph sherman on 06/04/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2009 Outback 4/30/2009. I traded my 1999 Outback. I bought the new Outback because I got a great deal and I didn't look forward to 3k miles in the very uncomfortable '99 Outback driver seat. I have only one complaint about my new Outback. The cruise control is anemic! The cruise control in my '99, the car raced up hills regardless of incline or elevation. In this car, it acts like "the little engine who couldn't". Climb performance is affected by incline and/or elevation. On descent, it has trouble holding assigned speed. The cruise control is hit or miss in the mountains and on medium to steep inclines. Otherwise, the car is great and all I'd hoped it would be... so far.

Good - should be better
By David on 06/02/09 13:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Came to this vehicle from 2003 base forester. 2009 forester felt too minivan and flimsy. Outback is a solid feeling vehicle, handles very well, is quiet and relaxing on the road. Exterior of 2009 model has a sharp mature look. HK stereo is a plus. Gas mileage OK... poor in city, good on freeway. Package of good high end options. At the price I paid other cars feel like plastic in comparison. If this vehicle were one foot shorter it would be fun to drive and also be a much better urban vehicle.

A lot of car for the money!
By chasen84 on 01/10/09 14:39 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I live in Colorado where snow is an issue, so I needed a car with AWD. This car has excellent build quality. I previously owned a 3-series BMW and this car is comparable in many ways. The transmission is as good as the BMW, as is the ride quality. Though nothing handles like a BMW IMO, this comes close. You won't win many drag races with the 2.5, but it is adequate and fun. If I hadn't gotten so many tickets in college and therefore cost so much to insure, I would've gotten the turbo, I think. Overall this is a lot of car for the money. The seats are softer than my BMW, but not as soft as the Volvo I test drove. I prefer softer seats when given the choice.

2nd Subaru
By George on 11/19/08 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just sold my 7 year old 2002 Legacy Wagon L,with 215,000 miles. It was very hard to part with,since it never let me down and will give the new owner many more thousands of miles. I upgraded to the Special Edition 5 speed Outback on 11/01/08. The test drive sold me. I drive extensively in both city and highway. This is a non-pretentious car that is as good looking at the campground as it is pulling up to a top Manhattan restaurant. I expect the same reliability and longevity. I also expect greater mpg than listed, since I did experience the same on my prior Subaru Wagon. Also,annual maintenance is relatively inexpensive and resale value is high.

A fun car to drive
By Dima on 10/20/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having recently purchased an Outback, I was pleasantly surprised with how much fun this car is - sporty handling, nice balance, very good 5-speed shifter. It has much sportier character than one would expect from a wagon. Recently, I had spent some time driving on semi-paved country roads, and was impressed with the suspension that made driving over the potholes and washed- out portions of the road bearable. Although I do not get good mileage in the city, barely 20 mpg, it probably has more to do with my driving style. On the highway, I am consistently in the 26-28 mpg range.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$101 per month*