2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
High number of Repairs
By jdillon2 on 04/11/15 12:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned 4 different Subarus. We bought the 2009 Outback new. It has had three major repairs since purchase. The most recent was a rebuild of the transfer case which cost $2200. We never had these types of major repairs before. I expect better from Subaru being an owner since 1991. They just aren't as good as in the past.

Will Buy Another One!
By offroad001 on 10/27/14 11:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2K9 Outback on July 5th 2008. It was the first 2K9 on the lot. Got it at the July 4th Sale. I have 168,000+ miles on her. Great reliability and a great daily driver. I used to drive 100+ miles a day for work and it is a whole lot better than my Durango or Tahoe!! I keep my vehicles for a long time and this one is still holding up well. I did have the infamous head gasket leak and got that repaired at my mechanic around 133,000 miles. Just basic maintenance and she is good to go! This is my first Asian car. I am a truck man but this car has converted me. Still have my Tahoe but I let my wife drive it. $40.00 compared to $80.00 for a fillup between the two. Love this car!!!

Love it!
By cheeseblocks on 07/19/14 08:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've wanted to make the jump to a Impreza WRX hatchback for awhile, but I can't justify the insane insurance cost. I went to Carmax looking for a smaller hatchback, but this one had arrived on the lot the day before, and the price was right (the option of extended warranty through 150k miles was a nice touch). I'm loving most everything about this car, and what I don't love, I do like.

Worst car I have ever owned!
By hatemysubaru on 10/22/13 16:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Subaru and it will be my last. I have owned all types of cars in my lifetime and this has been the worst. I have 94k highway miles on this car and now I have to replace the catalytic converter for $1,400, sensors, recalls, just replaced the muffler guard for $500 and the list keeps going. This car is severly underpowered and uncomfortable to drive and worse for passengers. I bought it because of the reputation but that was a mistake. To top it off the mileage is only 25 MPG on the highway. I have a family of 5 drivers and everyone hates this car. Don't waste your money on a Sabaru!

Well, that was a huge waste of money!
By deminimis on 04/16/12 15:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only 54,000 miles and the engine hatched. Not only is the car under the factory warranty, but also an extended warranty. Subaru is fighting us tooth and nail. Will have to sue Subaru to get the car fixed under warranty. Will stick with Toyota next time.

Starter motor broken at 40K
By rosenbom on 01/13/12 19:02 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am from the country that produces worst cars possible and I had 3 cars there but neither of those got its starter motor broken at 40K as my NEW Subaru Outback 2009 I bought less than 3 years ago here in US. I LOVED my Outback but this problem ruined everything. Guys at Subaru Service informed me that starter motor almost dead and I have to wait about 3 weeks for new one! This is my worst auto experience. I wasn't imagine things like that here in US.

Virgin2 Outback
By silencedogoode on 11/05/11 09:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After over 25 faithful years to UAW built car, that was it. GM left me hang again. I first bought a 97' Corolla, too small, and bad on the northern Michigan snow. I spotted my 09' Outback, blue with silver on the bottom online, and went for a test drive. I admit,,I had pudding face. It's now late 2011, my used 09' with 24K mi drives better than my Trailblazer did new. I have owned this car all summer, and love driving it. MPG is 28-29 hwy, and I am ready for another road trip. I will buy a brand new Outback as soon as Subaru improves the look over the 2012. Thats one ugly stepchild to the 05-09. Never fear leaving the UAW behind.

Perfect family car
By wagondad on 04/07/11 11:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fills the duties of daily transportation perfectly, fast enough not to get boring and utilitarian enough that I don't feel guilty for enjoying it so much. The only thing I HATE about this car is the danged speakers rattling the door panels. REALLY?? Seriously guys, it's a $30,000 car and you couldn't spend the time in development to make sure the map pockets don't vibrate apart when someone's listening to music? Hell, even NPR throws this car for a loop...if Lakshmi Sing messes your sound system up, you have a problem. So I will spend this weekend stuffing my map pockets full of old towels. Oh, 45,000 miles and no problems. Original tires/brakes. Yeah, much love for Subaru.

Gearing
By lucacima on 04/03/11 23:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had Subarus in the past and loved them. I just bought a new 2009 30R automatic, a left over from Subaru Dubai Dealer. I love it but I am disappointed by the gearbox. I reckon 4th gear is too long and distant from 3rd. It means that when you need some acceleration and you're in 5th, the system will shift down to 3rd, since 4th and 5th are very close to each other. The result is a jump from 2000 rpm to somewhere around 5000, which is not necessary. I would have it geared with 3rd, 4th and 5th in a more balanced way. I think the [non-permissible content removed] engineers thought this model as a 4 gears plus 5th, as a resting gear. Result is better economy but quite annoying and tiring to go always from 5th to 3rd...

Fabulous!
By Sasha on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my SiSE for just over 2 years. Gas mileage is over what I expected - 31 hwy and 27 mixed. Had snow in South GA last winter - I was the only one not sliding all over the road! LOVE this CAR!