Used 2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Gearing
By lucacima

2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had Subarus in the past and loved them. I just bought a new 2009 30R automatic, a left over from Subaru Dubai Dealer. I love it but I am disappointed by the gearbox. I reckon 4th gear is too long and distant from 3rd. It means that when you need some acceleration and you're in 5th, the system will shift down to 3rd, since 4th and 5th are very close to each other. The result is a jump from 2000 rpm to somewhere around 5000, which is not necessary. I would have it geared with 3rd, 4th and 5th in a more balanced way. I think the [non-permissible content removed] engineers thought this model as a 4 gears plus 5th, as a resting gear. Result is better economy but quite annoying and tiring to go always from 5th to 3rd...

Suggested Improvements

To shorten 4th gear, closer to 3rd

Not drinkin' the cool-aid
By lm

2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Initially we loved it. Two radio replacements later along with faulty a/c controls, expensive x-mission repair, leaking sun roof (all covered by warranty) have left us questioning keeping this vehicle for 10+ years like we planned. So far $5k worth repairs on a 1.5 yr. Old vehicle does not bode well for Post warranty ownership. Will trade for a Ford fusion. We expected much more from a $30k vehicle. Will have a bad taste in my mouth for Subaru for a while. Gillman San Antonio could have done better also.

Favorite Features

Nice solid feel, high ground clearance, feels "stout". Extremely good ad campaign. On the stuff that matters like "the car" not so many favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

fix radio problems, fix mechanical problems, train technicians at Gillman San Antonio better, improve their customer service skills

Best car for the money out there
By Gary

2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had 6 Subaru's before this one and this is the best of the lot. My first 6 cylinder and it doesn't disappoint. It's a sports car, take it to the supermarket, it will do anything you want. It's well built, so far trouble free and handsome. The engine purrs like a kitten and the exhaust has a sound like a Jaguar. I guess you can tell I love this car. We are keeping it over a new 2010. Did I say it's fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Power, handling, awd, radio, leather, dash, sunroof, etc.

Suggested Improvements

For me, none!