Used 2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Perfect family car
By wagondad

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fills the duties of daily transportation perfectly, fast enough not to get boring and utilitarian enough that I don't feel guilty for enjoying it so much. The only thing I HATE about this car is the danged speakers rattling the door panels. REALLY?? Seriously guys, it's a $30,000 car and you couldn't spend the time in development to make sure the map pockets don't vibrate apart when someone's listening to music? Hell, even NPR throws this car for a loop...if Lakshmi Sing messes your sound system up, you have a problem. So I will spend this weekend stuffing my map pockets full of old towels. Oh, 45,000 miles and no problems. Original tires/brakes. Yeah, much love for Subaru.

Favorite Features

Availability of a manual transmission, sunroof, heated seats, love the hood scoop, AWD, high ground clearance, great mileage compared to SUV/minivan.

Suggested Improvements

Speaker/door panel interaction, better materials on dash (scratches easily), could be quieter, automatic climate control system is a pain to control manually, back seats are a little cramped.

Blown engine at 2600
By Skoalsnuff

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the car, that's why having this motor issue is so painful. Driving down the freeway and I hear tapping that gets progressively worse. With no associated lights car just shuts down. Dealer says I have blown motor, come to find out that they are having problems with turbos doing so. Funny thing is everyone at Subaru acts like it hasn't happened at all. Getting new motor, but not feeling good about car. Read up, the turbo's are lemons.

Favorite Features

Love the car otherwise.

Suggested Improvements

Duh Engine

If You're Deaf This Car's for You
By crestfallen

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I reluctantly traded in my beloved Audi Allroad because it was at the end of it's life. I was shopping for a manual transmission sports wagon and someone suggested the OutBack Turbo. I drove the car and was mildly impressed with the acceleration and ride so I decided to buy it. I never expected to be in the situation I'm in now. The tailgate rattles to the point that nobody wants to be in the car. I can't turn the radio up loud enough to mask it. It's been repaired 3 times and each time it rattles on the way out of the dealership. Subaru has no suggestions. Before you buy this car check out internet blogs about Outback rattles. There's literally dozens of them. This isn't uncommon!

Favorite Features

I like the Turbo engine but the rattle puts me in a bad mood every time I drive it.

Clunk is what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
By vaa4

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was very happy about our new vehicle purchase (Jul'09) until we hit a bump in the road...an uneven bump. Rack and Pinion is designed to clunk every time wheels are turned and hit an uneven pavement (fact). Happens on driveways and while turning on an imperfect road. Took 3 service trips to find out at over 75% of Outbacks suffer from this issue. Done 3 trips to get front vibrations (tires?) taken care of, still in progress. Front rotors already machined (2K miles). Driver door handle cable is loose, haven't addressed yet. If I was a Die-hard Subaru fan, I may have ignored these imperfections since no other vehicle fits my lifestyle that well, but I am having a hard time coping with it yet.

Favorite Features

50/50 AWD, Turbo H4 with SI Drive, Smooth Manual transmission (may have N sensor, which could be used for Remote Start), Awesome instrument lighting, Traction/Skid control is not overactive (can stay ON for spirited driving), Heated/Power Seats, High Leather quality.

Suggested Improvements

Rack and Pinion that doesn't clunk like a 20-year old Buick when turning into driveways. Build quality is not on par with other Japanese brands (Toyota/Honda/Nissan). Add HID lights option. Dual climate control to adjust both temps by driver's dial (same as Lexus).

Great car
By Pere

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have it for 2 months and very happy. Great feeling in S-sharp mode, only using Intelligent mode in city driving. Manual transmission is great (forget about automatic if you like to drive). I love the interior design and the HK sound system. Can't wait to drive it on snow but I drove it in very heavy rain and the feeling of stability is awesome. Best performance and better mileage than the Volvo XC70 at a more affordable price.

Favorite Features

Symmetrical all wheel drive. Harman Kardon sound system. Interior design.

Suggested Improvements

More colors should be available. More legroom in driver and back seats. Should be able to run on regular gas instead of premium.