Used 2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Will Buy Another One!
By offroad001

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2K9 Outback on July 5th 2008. It was the first 2K9 on the lot. Got it at the July 4th Sale. I have 168,000+ miles on her. Great reliability and a great daily driver. I used to drive 100+ miles a day for work and it is a whole lot better than my Durango or Tahoe!! I keep my vehicles for a long time and this one is still holding up well. I did have the infamous head gasket leak and got that repaired at my mechanic around 133,000 miles. Just basic maintenance and she is good to go! This is my first Asian car. I am a truck man but this car has converted me. Still have my Tahoe but I let my wife drive it. $40.00 compared to $80.00 for a fillup between the two. Love this car!!!

Great gas mileage, reliable, fun to drive and great on long trips, easy to work on.

Going to look at a newer one because I can't get all my fishing gear inside this one. Still going to keep it though. Should have the cargo basket as an option.

Worst car I have ever owned!
By hatemysubaru

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Subaru and it will be my last. I have owned all types of cars in my lifetime and this has been the worst. I have 94k highway miles on this car and now I have to replace the catalytic converter for $1,400, sensors, recalls, just replaced the muffler guard for $500 and the list keeps going. This car is severly underpowered and uncomfortable to drive and worse for passengers. I bought it because of the reputation but that was a mistake. To top it off the mileage is only 25 MPG on the highway. I have a family of 5 drivers and everyone hates this car. Don't waste your money on a Sabaru!

Cant think of a single thing

stop making them!

Well, that was a huge waste of money!
By deminimis

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only 54,000 miles and the engine hatched. Not only is the car under the factory warranty, but also an extended warranty. Subaru is fighting us tooth and nail. Will have to sue Subaru to get the car fixed under warranty. Will stick with Toyota next time.

Perhaps Subaru should quit trying to blame the customer in an attempt to keep from doing bargained for warranty work. Here is one example that you don't always get what you pay for.

2009 Outback Constantly Rattles
By SB

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2009 Outback last year and was so happy to have another Subaru. Several months after purchase I noticed a loud rattle in the front, took it to the dealership who told me there were issues with the 2008/2009 Heat Shields - and they replaced mine. The rattle problem seemed to be resolved, however 2 months later - it is rattling again. This time the dealership showed me Memo's of consumer complaints of the rattle - and stated it would probably continue because these Heat Shields are just 'clipped' together instead of being 'bolted' together. AND - be prepared for it to be much worse in the winter time. I wish I knew this in advance - very disappointed! : (

Body style, interior design, handling in inclement weather

Fix the heat shield problem in 2009 outback so the rattle stops! I'd like to enjoy driving my car again.

Great Value and Premium Feel
By dstrange

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Outback Limited to be the only family car, trading in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Volvo V70. The interior is every bit as nice as the V70 (and then some with the oversized sunroof and great speaker system). We've enjoyed the AWD in the rain and ice and it handles like it's on rails around corners. The only disappointment is the engine's acceleration at lower speeds. Whenever we pull into traffic and engage the "sport mode" to gain acceleration, my husband says, "Go hamsters!" It's also a tight fit for our family on road trips, but the addition of a cargo box on top of the car helps to create more interior space without killing fuel economy (still getting about 22-24 hwy).

Interior design, giant sunroof, heated seats, AWD, safety, comfort of front seats, sound system

back seats aren't comfortable for adults (we're not big people, either), needs more cargo room. I think the 2010 model addressed these issues.