Used 2009 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

High number of Repairs
By jdillon2

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned 4 different Subarus. We bought the 2009 Outback new. It has had three major repairs since purchase. The most recent was a rebuild of the transfer case which cost $2200. We never had these types of major repairs before. I expect better from Subaru being an owner since 1991. They just aren't as good as in the past.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

Much better quality control. The owner isn't there to be a test subject.

Will Buy Another One!
By offroad001

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2K9 Outback on July 5th 2008. It was the first 2K9 on the lot. Got it at the July 4th Sale. I have 168,000+ miles on her. Great reliability and a great daily driver. I used to drive 100+ miles a day for work and it is a whole lot better than my Durango or Tahoe!! I keep my vehicles for a long time and this one is still holding up well. I did have the infamous head gasket leak and got that repaired at my mechanic around 133,000 miles. Just basic maintenance and she is good to go! This is my first Asian car. I am a truck man but this car has converted me. Still have my Tahoe but I let my wife drive it. $40.00 compared to $80.00 for a fillup between the two. Love this car!!!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, reliable, fun to drive and great on long trips, easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Going to look at a newer one because I can't get all my fishing gear inside this one. Still going to keep it though. Should have the cargo basket as an option.

Love it!
By cheeseblocks

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've wanted to make the jump to a Impreza WRX hatchback for awhile, but I can't justify the insane insurance cost. I went to Carmax looking for a smaller hatchback, but this one had arrived on the lot the day before, and the price was right (the option of extended warranty through 150k miles was a nice touch). I'm loving most everything about this car, and what I don't love, I do like.

Favorite Features

Interior layout is excellent. Everything is in a place that makes sense and is easy to get to. Telescoping tilt steering wheel, leather wrapped, leather seats with lumbar support for driver and passenger (plus heated and electric control for both) is great. Dual zone climate control helps keep peace with your significant other. The 3 drive mode options (I, S, S#) are great. I'm on I 90% of the time, but S# is a lot of fun. Plenty of cargo room (saw a complaint about not enough? Weird) Great stereo (no rattles here?) and the auto dimming rearview is just plain cool. Full time AWD feels sturdy and handles tight. The 2.5L Turbo... I'll get to in a second :) Remote Start and keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

For being the XT Limited model, I expected a little more from the performance side. It has some zip for sure, but the turbo has a little more lag than I had hoped (I know that's the nature or a turbo, but some do it better than others) and I echo the sentiments of the 3, 4, and 5 gear ratios. There is a lot of jump from 5 to 3 which seems like could have been avoided. The handling more than makes up for it, as you'll feel like you're driving a car half the size. I'm not looking forward to any potential out of warranty repairs on the Boxer engine, as I've heard they're expensive and tedious, but if it's like my family's old outback, it'll run forever (300k and counting on that one, a 94!)

Worst car I have ever owned!
By hatemysubaru

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Subaru and it will be my last. I have owned all types of cars in my lifetime and this has been the worst. I have 94k highway miles on this car and now I have to replace the catalytic converter for $1,400, sensors, recalls, just replaced the muffler guard for $500 and the list keeps going. This car is severly underpowered and uncomfortable to drive and worse for passengers. I bought it because of the reputation but that was a mistake. To top it off the mileage is only 25 MPG on the highway. I have a family of 5 drivers and everyone hates this car. Don't waste your money on a Sabaru!

Favorite Features

Cant think of a single thing

Suggested Improvements

stop making them!

Well, that was a huge waste of money!
By deminimis

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only 54,000 miles and the engine hatched. Not only is the car under the factory warranty, but also an extended warranty. Subaru is fighting us tooth and nail. Will have to sue Subaru to get the car fixed under warranty. Will stick with Toyota next time.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps Subaru should quit trying to blame the customer in an attempt to keep from doing bargained for warranty work. Here is one example that you don't always get what you pay for.