2008 Subaru Outback 2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual w/VDC Consumer Review - Word of Warning

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5 XT Limited Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual w/VDC)

Word of Warning
By John Q Public on

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

While I was initially excited about the purchase after test driving a well running car, my "dealer locate" vehicle arrived with what is commonly known as "stutter" under boost. The two dealers I have taken the car to both acknowledged the car does not run correctly, but they don't know how to fix it since it is most likely a computer issue. The dealership has "reflashes" for different turbo models and it will fix the problem on some cars but not all and it often returns. Subaru customer service has been no help, not even offering try replacing the computer on a $32k car with 6k mi. I am going to lemon law it.

Suggested Improvements

After owning four other turbo cars and knowing what proper engine operation is, Subaru assumes the customer is an idiot and if you tell them "that's normal for a turbo" that should be fine. If you test drive one, floor it, and if it stutters or bucks like a bronco, run away. Subaru wont fix it.