2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: The vehicle I was looking for

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

The vehicle I was looking for
By Ken Myers on

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced gas-guzzler 3/4-ton ’05 Chevy pickup with the ’08 Outback. My requirements; better mpg, able to pull motorcycle and its trailer, high ground clearance w/ 4-WD or AWD to traverse the 2-track to my cabin in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, handle winter snow, carry my radio-controlled planes and R/C equipment, ease of front seat access for my 85- year-old mother. Went to test drive an ’09 Forester and while waiting saw the Blue/Silver Metallic ’08 Outback and changed the test drive! The test drive, on poorly maintained paved roads, felt comfortable, and has proven so. There is a very solid feel between the car and the road. Good value. Better than a SUV for me. I like it a lot so far.

Smooth, easy shifting 5-speed manual. Lots of room in back with the seats folded. Trailer hitch and Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass w/Homelink. Excellent AWD mpg with avg. over 30 mpg in suburban area driving so far. Good all-around visibility. Standard trip calculator. It feels “just right” for me.

Move clutch pedal a little further to the left. Put the outside temperature on the mirror, like the compass. Move fuel filler to driver side! Don’t use felt like carpet, every little thing sticks to it. Rear seats should fold flat.