Subaru won't stand behind its product
By shemonkey on
2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
My air conditioner compressor failed in my 2008 Outback after 45,000 miles. The compressor was no longer covered by warranty. It cost me over $900 to replace the compressor, including parts and labor. My mechanic suggested I write a letter to Subaru of America to ask for reimbursement. I wrote a detailed letter to Subaru of America. Subaru of America wrote back with perhaps the lamest correspondence I have ever received, stating that "Subaru is not responsible for defective parts or workmanship from subcontractors." Needless to say, I will never purchase another Subaru product. My Outback is average or below average in every way, from handling to craftsmanship to fuel economy.
By bryan_co
on 08/22/13 00:30 AM (PDT)

Things fail. That's life. You should have better understood the warranty when you purchased the car. They can't guarantee everything forever. I can't imagine buying a car I'd only rate with 3 stars to begin with. Maybe you should have test drove it and realized that you don't like the way it handles and read the sticker with the fuel economy printed on it.

By tiggy3
on 03/01/14 15:23 PM (PST)

I too have a Subby and can attest to their horrid backing of their vehicle. I purchased my car and within weeks had it at the dealer for problems with the carpet which was bare in spots. I was told that it was a factory problem which couldn't be fixed. Next at 37k miles BOTH CV boots went which was over $1500 to fix. The boots are extremely thin unlike most vehicles. At 50k the seat fabric started coming apart at the seams and the Throw out bearing went bad. I have taken extremely good care of this vehicle never missing a maintenance and all swear it looks brand new from the exterior due to cleanliness. The inside would look the same were the carpet and upholstery fabric not falling apart. I had always heard how Subaru made such a great vehicle...guess they have changed a bit. I for one would never buy another Subaru.