2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: PZEV & rough starts

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5I Limited Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic w/VDC)

PZEV & rough starts
By Ed on

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For those of you considering the PZEV option you should be aware that when started cold some Subaru's will produce excesive vibration, engine and exhaust noise. This is due to changes the ECU makes to the timing to quickly heat the exhaust catalyst to reduce emission gasses. Once warm, the car starts smoothly as you would expect. The sales rep asked us to wait in the showroom while he brought the car around for test drives so I didn't discover this characteristic until I started the car the morning after purchasing it. Otherwise the car does exactly what I expected and I'm pleased with it.

Heated seats and the huge sunroof.

I notice a slight shudder/wiggle in the steering wheel when I turn it a few degrees off center. The dealer said this is normal and caused by the operation of the AWD system. After 30+ years of making AWD vehicles I would have expected not to have any feedback in the steering wheel.