2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Great Value, Reasonable Compro

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5I Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Great Value, Reasonable Compromises
By mj on

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We've had the Subie for about four months now. I am very happy with it. The lackluster acceleration is noticeable, but the trade-off is very good fuel economy with standard fuel (25-29 mpg), I suspect the tranny largely to blame for the slow feeling to the car, and a fifth gear would help mpgs too! The stereo is quite weak, and there is no rest for my elbows on either side when driving this car. That said, the car has generally been delightful. Coming from Volvos I am impressed with the comfort of the driver seat the value (half the price of the XC70) safety gas mileage and reliability. I'd strongly recomend this car-but realize that there are compromises made for mpg & low price.

Power heated driver seat, handling, quietness, ride, MPG!!, looks, safety, interior design, terrific in all weather conditions (much better than our Volvo XC70 which is AWD) so far reliability has been perfect.

Better armrests (both sides), better stereo, passenger seat much too low on the floor and not height adjustable, why can't I get a sunroof without getting leather? I miss the full power up & down on the power window motors, and finally that damned key with fob built-in is huge & annoying in my pocket