Great Choice
By Doug on
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
I did a lot of research and really wanted to buy my 4th Honda. I looked at the CRV and didn’t like the interior. I am a fly fisherman and like to have a vehicle in which I can lie down and take a rest. I have a serious back problem and need to take breaks in my fishing day. The CRV just wasn’t able to provide a long rear floor space. When the rear seats are folded down there is plenty of room for me at 5’9”. Interestingly enough, the Honda dealer sent us to Subaru! The Subie us everything I wanted. I am an environmentalist and biologist so my carbon footprint and controlling pollution output is important. So far we have gotten 25 mpg in mixed driving short trips (a bit disapointing).
Favorite Features
My favorite feature is the ride/handling combination. The wheel base is long enough to prevent pitching yet short enough to allow for a fairly tight turning radius. The smoothness of the ride is exceptional in a “crossover” vehicle and the AWD gives a sense of security that is difficult to match.
Suggested Improvements
More comfortable passenger side seating would be desirable. I should have gone up to the Limited except I really wanted the manual gear box. There needs to be a coin box and some other accouterments in the cabin. The standard arm rest is weak and I fear it will eventually break.