2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: First non-Honda car in 22 year

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5I Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

First non-Honda car in 22 years
By Bob757FL on

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After driving only Accords for 22 years, I wanted to try something else. Subaru came to my attention on both the NHTSA site, and the IIHS site for safety. Consumer Reports gave it high marks for reliability and user reports say 30mpg hwy. I have come to this conclusion after the 1st 1000 miles: it is as fun to drive as a Volkswagen Jetta or Passat, rated as safe or safer than any Volvo, yet has a reliability rating beating both of these. Below 60 mph it is an absolute blast to drive. I don't know why but it is. My wife keeps asking to take it for her local errands. Above 60, steering is more sensitive than a Honda and is taking some getting used to.

Favorite Features

Perfect combination of car/SUV/stationwagon without the fuel penalty. Sit higher than a car. Fun to drive. Utility/usefulness. Autodimming mirror. Everybody doesn't have one - not Honda or Toyota. Looks cool!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger/better cupholders. Window frame should be added. Less sensitive steering at hwy speeds. (Maybe that's a characteristic of AWD?) Great car that is advertised too little.