Basis model beats Rav4 in smackdown
By Lk Superior north sh on
2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
Had great Mazda3 but couldn't sleep with winter coming, spent two weeks checking out Rav4 options. Then drove the Suby, game over. Rav4 has +7ft cargo, +800lbs towing, and losses on at least a dozen other comps. This is a classy ride, I don't need speed. It's got all the winter things Toyota charges extra for. Better ride than either Base Rav or Rav Sport. 4AT has 3 modes, what else could I need? The basic climate and audio systems are a good trade off for heated 8 way power seats and true AWD.
Favorite Features
Heated everything, great road feel, easy to get kayak on top, 31.8 mpg on first tank, never under 25 so far, 34 on nice 50 mph north shore scenic road. Beautiful charcoal cloth interior, 3 AT modes. Only 1000 miles on it, but I can't wait to get past new car phase and explore.
Suggested Improvements
Just put the subwoofer in at the factory. Dealer has a 48 step install, not going to have my new car disassembled quite yet. Really short on driver storage spaces, but hey, it's so comfy in there I'll carry a purse. And, put the audio controls on the steering wheel, we all expect that now.