2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Was the right choice
By Cessna Driver on 01/05/08 13:31 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Was replacing 2000 Explorer with 141K miles, and tired of the poor gas mileage. Looked at every crossover and small truck SUV available, and found the Outback to be the best combination of sensible size/mileage and cargo capacity. We ski and have a place in Durango, CO so we needed AWD. Very satisfied with the Outback - fit and finish are excellent, ride is superb, decent handling, 170 HP flat four is definitely adequate for us, mileage has consistently been 25 MPG. Interior is nice looking and functional - not the weird and techno-ugly stuff we've seen in other vehicles. Great driver's seat (the 2000 Explorer had the worst!), sound system is excellent.

Great car to have in New England!
By Lee on 01/02/08 13:04 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first new car, and first Subaru. My wife's car (bought new) is a Highlander 2005 2WD. I was deciding between the Outback in LL Bean trim and a Honda Pilot. The fuel economy difference was the deciding factor. I personally think the Outback is a beautiful car. It's also plenty peppy with its V6. I like the nav system, but wish it was integrated into the other components of the car, particularly the stereo. It would also be nice to have Bluetooth. Final gripe is that interior space is scant. There is enough, but more would be nice. This car in LL Bean trim is quite luxurious, in my opinion. The fit and finish are excellent, and the materials appear to be of high quality.

Not too bad
By Ted on 01/01/08 19:45 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have been driving a civic hatchback for the past several years. I loved the civic, but with a growing family, I had to buy something a little roomier. The Outback was a good compromise between the civic that I loved, and the SUVs that I hate. It has enough room inside for me, my wife, and two small children in the back, with car seats. Being a family car, I also like the various standard safety features . The cargo area along with the roof racks, make the outback a great "errand runner". My only complaint is the the lack of power. I describe the outback's power as barely adequete. It could really use about 10-20 more horsepower. Not terrible, but noticable. Overall I do like the car alot.

Best Bang for Buck
By Feilo on 01/01/08 15:29 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The OB has always been on my car shortlist and I finally got an 08 2.5i 5MT to replace my much-loved and performance tuned 03 1.8T Passat wagon. I immediately upgraded the tires and the rear sway bar - instant handling upgrade. The 2.5i is really well matched to the 5MT (I've been disappointed by rental 4ATs OBs before). Have been averaging ~25+ mpg overall - 70/30 highway/urban. This is my first AWD car and its been interesting in the recent snows - its a new driving experience that's for sure. All in all, I am happy with my purchase and am enjoying true motoring with the 5MT. No warranty issues so far (6k miles) and as I stated in the title - its the best bang for my new car buck!

Best Bang for Buck!
By Feilo on 12/31/07 07:29 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The OB has always been on my shortlist of cars through the years and I finally went for it when it came time to part with my (much loved and performance tuned) Passat wagon. The 2.5i is very well matched with the 5MT and I am enjoying true motoring again! Also appreciating AWD for the first time in the snow we have been having here in the Midwest. After ~6000 miles, fuel consumption has been reasonable - averaging ~26 mpg overall in 70/30 highway/urban driving, and have been trouble free. Had to upgrade the rear sway bar and tires to get handling to what I would like but then, that's not for everybody. Fit and finish is OK for what I paid for it. All in all, I am really happy with my 2.5i!

Subaru safe but
By nukalas on 12/24/07 11:44 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It is an excellent vehicle in snow and in wet conditions. seats are a bit hard to get used to in the begining but you get used to them. MPG is below average and below what is advertised, for city driving I get 14-15 MPG with careful driving. Overall a good buy if you live in a snowbound area.

Engine Racing
By Carol on 12/21/07 19:20 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2000 Outback, liked it so well, I bought a 2008 Outback Wagon 5 spd man trans. It has 1,522 miles and just started this engine racing thing. When you shift thru from 1st to 5th gear it seems as though the gas is sticking causing RPMs to go up when you let off the accelerator. Sometimes when you downshift, the engine races like the accelerator is sticking. Took it to the dealer, he called Subaru Techline but before he could finish telling them what was wrong they said it was normal operation. We find that hard to believe. Racing past 2000rpms when the clutch is pressed and no foot on the accelerator doesn't seem normal to us.

Great Car
By Scott on 12/11/07 06:11 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We were looking at small SUVs (CRV, Santa Fe, RAV4) and decided to check out the Outback as well. What a difference! The ride is so much better. Subaru is a much safer and more reliable car than the others we looked at. The exterior is much improved and the interior is very simple. This is our "baby car", so we are happy the car seat is easy to install and the cargo space is awesome. The 170 hp engine isn't great, but is still muc better than the models I listed above. I tested all the models on a nasty hill near our house and the Outback actually performed the best.

Surprisingly lacking in reliability....
By Morphie on 11/22/07 14:00 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning three (3) Audi's in succession, we were looking forward to a more reliable vehicle; the added bonus was a lower cost. Our problems: -Air conditioning failure at less than 1,000 miles; repaired in a few days. -Abrupt shifting of the transmission; A surprisingly difficult service department to deal with; (primarily the Service Manager). -Fit and finish much poorer than my daughter's Honda Civic; The only redeeming aspect: I was wise enough (by accident) to lease it for only two (2) years. This is our first and last Subaru. To say that I am surprised is an understatement.

Very happy so far.
By Ron on 11/15/07 12:04 PM (PST)

I liked my wife's 07 3.0 LL Bean so much I decided to get an 08. So far I love the car. This is my fifth Subaru. It has good performance and is very comfortable to drive. I find the size to be just right. I am having trouble using the NAV system and dealer thinks it was not "prepped" correctly and is checking things out. Otherwise no problems to date. Wife's 07 has just had the power steering pump go out, however.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.