Used 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

2008 Outback
By France

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Subaru I've purchased. My last one was a 2002 Outback which I found comfortable to drive. I've owned my 2008 for about 2 months and am looking to get rid of it. I started getting back pain within a week. There isn't enough foot room between the brake and gas pedals to place your foot comfortably on the gas pedal. In my 2002, the passenger side didn't have enough leg space. Now the 2008 does, but at the expense of the driver side.

I'm getting better than advertised gas mileage.

Increase the space between the brake and gas pedals so the driver can sit with their body in proper alignment. The 3 pedals are too close in proximity. The low beam cuts off the top field of vision. When you turn on the high beam, you see a line where the low and high beams meet. Very annoying.

Very nice car-- get the 5 spd XT!
By georg

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our second Outback 2.5 5spd. Our first qas a 2006 Limited 2.5 5 spd that had a persistent air conditioner interior leak that we rolled over in at 45 mph and walked away fine. We replaced it with our current vehicle because it has the VDC. This Outback is great; the fit and finish is perfect. The XT should be purchased with the 5spd; the power of the engine in Sport# and the delayed shifting is a great experience.

XT with the 5spd. The comfortable seats; the large sunroof. Sure-footed in dirt, rain and snow. fuel economy.

LATCH in the middle back seat; the car seat cannot be placed in the middle according the owner's manual. With a car seat in the rear, the pass seat is very forward position. Synchronized Reverse: sometimes getting into R can be hard, it could just be the short shifter. The lack of Bluetooth.

Best yet
By Third timer

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Outback wagon and is the best so far. It rides and handles wonderfully and I actually get better mileage than the EPA sticker indicated.

Handling, ride, fuel economy

Should offer an upgrade for towing

PZEV & rough starts
By Ed

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For those of you considering the PZEV option you should be aware that when started cold some Subaru's will produce excesive vibration, engine and exhaust noise. This is due to changes the ECU makes to the timing to quickly heat the exhaust catalyst to reduce emission gasses. Once warm, the car starts smoothly as you would expect. The sales rep asked us to wait in the showroom while he brought the car around for test drives so I didn't discover this characteristic until I started the car the morning after purchasing it. Otherwise the car does exactly what I expected and I'm pleased with it.

Heated seats and the huge sunroof.

I notice a slight shudder/wiggle in the steering wheel when I turn it a few degrees off center. The dealer said this is normal and caused by the operation of the AWD system. After 30+ years of making AWD vehicles I would have expected not to have any feedback in the steering wheel.

Transmission is Plague
By designer

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2006 Outback sport with the larger version. Nice upgrade and significant price increase. I liked the AWD and style of the 08. Car handles great. Constant problem since I have owned the car is the transmission. It has been fixed twice, the third time the shop could not "duplicate it" Going in again tomorrow. The transmission shifts hard and clunks, feels like it is slipping. It was really bad the first 2 times. Now it does it under 40 MPH in city traffic. It's driving me nuts, litterally!

The car would be great if it worked properly. I would be so happy, if I didn't feel that the transmission may fall out of the vehicle in traffic.

Put in a transmission that is better than the one you have. I leased this vehicle, and I wont lease another Subaru. I want to love it so bad, I want to be that Suby guy, I am just let down. Going back to Honda via Acura I think.

• SUV