Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Pleased new Subie groupie
By Frmr SUV ownr

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Previously owned a Ford Explorer so skeptical about power of 4cyl but you can't have it all and I have been pleasantly surprised with performance/gas mileage. Getting 20city/29 hwy and it's plenty zippy for that king of economy. Brakes a bit unresponsive/long braking distance, taking getting used to but drove in the Carolina mountains and handled like a dream.

Favorite Features

Overall handling, classy interior, panoramic sunroof, roomy cargo area, gas mileage, comfortable for 5'3" smaller person.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rests, upgrade stereo system, smaller key FOB or keyless entry/keypad makes sense for this type of car.

Satisfied
By Ted

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Outback for 6 months and have put over 8000 miles on it. Initial impression of quality is good. I bought the car due to its safety features, additional room for my family, and reputation for quality. I haven't been let down. My only real gripe about the car is the lack of horsepower. This car could really use an extra 20 hp. Not a big deal since I'm not out to win any races. However, the car is slightly under-powered in my opinion.

Favorite Features

AWD, cargo space, great handling

Suggested Improvements

Make the latch bar easier to acess in the rear seat. Britax brand car seats are hard to attach. Put the fuel door on the correct side. Give the car an extra 20hp

Pleasantly Impressed
By Rick Drewyour

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. For a utilitarian vehicle, it rides better than my Honda Accord. It handles great and I really like all the safety features. Easy exit/entry with the higer ground clearance. Sunroof is noisy when only wing is opened. Mileage is 25 mixed and 30 on the highway. Good looks and sporty feel.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort. Safety ratings. Solid feeling and sounding car. Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Not impressed with Bridgestone Potenza tires. Noisy sunroof. Auto temp control always starts in a/c mode no matter what the temp is.

Best Bang For Your Buck!
By GF

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Needed a 4 door wagon due to the new addition to my family. So I test drove an Audi A4 Avant (2.0T and 3.2 versions) and the Subaru Outback 3.0R was on par with the Audi Avant 3.2. Went with Subaru and saved $14K over the Audi. Also, plan to do a lot of outdoor family stuff (biking, camping, etc) so the additional ride height with the Outback made sense. I still have yet to open it up cause it's still in the break-in period, but this an excellent overall value. This car feels like I'm still driving my BMW. Subaru got this Outback right. Can't go wrong with Japanese build quality and a German driving feel at a Japanese price tag.

Favorite Features

AWD, additional ride height, trunk space, H6 boxer engine

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth

The vehicle I was looking for
By Ken Myers

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced gas-guzzler 3/4-ton ’05 Chevy pickup with the ’08 Outback. My requirements; better mpg, able to pull motorcycle and its trailer, high ground clearance w/ 4-WD or AWD to traverse the 2-track to my cabin in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, handle winter snow, carry my radio-controlled planes and R/C equipment, ease of front seat access for my 85- year-old mother. Went to test drive an ’09 Forester and while waiting saw the Blue/Silver Metallic ’08 Outback and changed the test drive! The test drive, on poorly maintained paved roads, felt comfortable, and has proven so. There is a very solid feel between the car and the road. Good value. Better than a SUV for me. I like it a lot so far.

Favorite Features

Smooth, easy shifting 5-speed manual. Lots of room in back with the seats folded. Trailer hitch and Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass w/Homelink. Excellent AWD mpg with avg. over 30 mpg in suburban area driving so far. Good all-around visibility. Standard trip calculator. It feels “just right” for me.

Suggested Improvements

Move clutch pedal a little further to the left. Put the outside temperature on the mirror, like the compass. Move fuel filler to driver side! Don’t use felt like carpet, every little thing sticks to it. Rear seats should fold flat.