2008 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews 8

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
My Outback
By charli on 02/09/08 06:09 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Outback for a month. This is "moms car" and I love it! I have an 11 year old daughter and she and I go do a lot of outdoor things. I have already driven in snow and the traction was great! My neighbors were sliding on the snow and my Outback did fine! I'm enjoying driving this car. I like that everything seems convenient to reach for me. My husband is 6'4 and he actually has headroom. I had looked at the Honda CRV too but I just kept coming back to my Outback and happy that I did! Love driving it, get a lot of comments on it, even the boys at the carwash told me they like the inside! I'm driving mostly in the city. I'm getting 22.8 and look forward to taking this camping!

Great so far
By cptplt on 02/02/08 19:41 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This replaced a 98 Legacy wagon and is an incredible improvement especially the interior. I have the PZEV version and had read that people were having engine problems in cold weather but the recent few subzero spells have been no problem at all. The 4 cylinder 2.5 is more than adequate but if you want real umph get the turbo or 6cyl. This has more power than my 98 Legacy yet it still gets better mileage!

Safest Vehicle on the Road - Bar None.
By Dave on 02/02/08 07:04 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Subaru has dominated rally racing for decades and it shows. Their full-time symmetrical VTD AWD system, and their electronic stability control are STILL vastly superior to the nearly useless "slip and HOPE to grip" modified FWD systems found on the pretenders. We drove EVERY AWD NHTSA top safety pick vehicle under $40K. I forced my wife to try emergency steering maneuvers at 65 mph. The Hyundai santa Fe, and Honda Pilot were scary ,even the Acura RDX could not match the Outback's "go where you point it" highway stability. Having now driven the Outback on a lot of snowy, icy it has dramatically exceeded my already high expectations.

Excellent car apart from the power!
By drm on 02/01/08 20:50 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my wife's car, I have been very impressed. Excellent handling, especially in the awful winter we've had in WI. Exterior and interior are very well done. Fit and finish is very good. The wagon utility is unquestionable. I think the car is very good value with the AWD and what you get in terms of extras with the LL Bean addition. Nav system is very good, the stereo is actually quite impressive. My benchmark is my 2008 Acura RL AWD, and considering the Subie is close to half the price I think it's an extraordinarily good value. My only issue is that, considering the cars weight, I think the base 2.5 liter engine is a little underwhelming.

Love It!
By miss_m on 01/17/08 05:15 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my Outback. I wanted a station wagon but few auto makers have them. It basically came down to a Subaru Outback or a Mercedes station wagon. I opted for the Subaru, which seemed far more practical and easier to maintain.

Computer, oh my!
By handimandi on 01/15/08 21:10 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru and perhaps my last. After having a fun and wonderful drive home to Michigan from Virginia my Outback gave me a full "light show." Most of the warning lights came on, the most interesting being the "check engine" light. Computer problems. It has been back to the dealer service department 3 times now. It has been in the shop for more then 2 weeks. I bought it on 12/12/07, it has approx. 3100 miles on it, and I just made my first payment. The service department has been great, but my first Subaru experience has been a headache and a heartache. Will be using the lemon law if the car returns to the shop for a 4th time. Otherwise, a great and fun car.

Great Car
By ldtjsa on 01/15/08 12:38 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really enjoy the handling and the way the car feels when driving it. With two kids in car seats and two adults up front it feels small inside. But I went from a Ford Excursion to this car. The gas mileage combined city highway and driving it hard is ~23 mpg; if you drive it nice, it is like ~27mpg, all highway you can get around 30mpg. The backseat just needs to have more room.

We like it so far!
By Radar1 on 01/09/08 20:12 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We needed a safer car for long distance touring with lots of cargo space, capable of towing our pop-up camper. The Outback fills the bill, and after 1100 miles we are impressed with the ride quality, handling, and gas mileage. On our first trip we averaged 28.2 MPG, which is just as good as our smaller 2.3 litre Ford Focus, but we had much more luggage space and comfort.

Excellent in snow/ice
By Joe on 01/09/08 13:52 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got this car during my second winter in the Northwest. Was driving a FWD Lexus RX 330 and a RWD Ford Explorer. Worlds different! I felt very unsteady with the Explorer, better with the Lexus. I haven't had any problems at all with the Subaru with regards to traction, control in the snow, etc. It works well for what I got it for. On snow days, I've taken it with no problems up and down hills which had given the other cars trouble.

Love driving this vehicle!
By MarcusinPitt on 01/08/08 18:22 PM (PST)

A lot of friends questioned why I would purchase a wagon rather than a sports sedan such as the BMW 325xi, but I was looking for a vehicle with some utility, and this vehicle is a great alternative to an SUV/Crossover with much better gas mileage and handling. With only 1500 miles, the car is getting 23mpg (city/hwy combined). It rides 10x better than my 2006 Honda Accord and much quieter I must say. This Subaru is surprisingly elegant with a great interior layout, quiet, smooth ride, good handling all the while maintaining nice attention to luxury and durability. Despite the lack of a few accessories/options that are standard in most cars in it's class, the car is a great buy!