Used 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Lovin the Outback
By anythngbutGM

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We just purchased an 08' Outback 2.5i Limited with the LL Bean package, navi, and VDC. We really like this car. The 2.5 base motor is plenty powerful around town where it sees most of it's activity, and after it's first fill up we can proudly report 28 mpg. The seats are outstanding, the build quality is as good as a Lexus and the huge panoramic roof is awesome! Also, Subaru safety along with the excellent AWD system should help us weather the New England winters with ease. Seriously, if you are looking to buy something like a RAV4, CRV, or Forester, give the Outback a try. It is well worth your time.

Huge panoramic roof! safety, AWD, classy, Lexus-like interior, reasonable price.

Another cog or 2 in the transmission, or a traditional manual.

Good car but it ticks!
By Jim D

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subarus and this is my 4th one. Overall I'm very happy with the car. Love the huge sunroof and leather. Comfortable quiet highway ride. But, from somewhere in the rear cargo area there's a tick type of a rattle and it ruining an otherwise good car. It started one week after I drove it off the lot. Still trying to find it. Sometimes the sunroof rattles - not all the time. Usually after hitting a big bump in the road, this sets all the ticks and rattles going. Kind of frustrating for such a new car. If you own one, make sure you set the SRS on the stereo to on. It makes a huge difference in the sound quality.

Overall look inside and out. Leather wheel feels nice on the hands. The dark gray color that I got is very unique and I've been getting lots of compliments on the car. 17 inch rims look so much better than the 16s of previous models.

Stop all the ticks and rattles. A new car should be super quiet over the road. Also, on a limited car, the audio buttons should be on the wheel.

2008 Outback
By France

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Subaru I've purchased. My last one was a 2002 Outback which I found comfortable to drive. I've owned my 2008 for about 2 months and am looking to get rid of it. I started getting back pain within a week. There isn't enough foot room between the brake and gas pedals to place your foot comfortably on the gas pedal. In my 2002, the passenger side didn't have enough leg space. Now the 2008 does, but at the expense of the driver side.

I'm getting better than advertised gas mileage.

Increase the space between the brake and gas pedals so the driver can sit with their body in proper alignment. The 3 pedals are too close in proximity. The low beam cuts off the top field of vision. When you turn on the high beam, you see a line where the low and high beams meet. Very annoying.

Very nice car-- get the 5 spd XT!
By georg

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our second Outback 2.5 5spd. Our first qas a 2006 Limited 2.5 5 spd that had a persistent air conditioner interior leak that we rolled over in at 45 mph and walked away fine. We replaced it with our current vehicle because it has the VDC. This Outback is great; the fit and finish is perfect. The XT should be purchased with the 5spd; the power of the engine in Sport# and the delayed shifting is a great experience.

XT with the 5spd. The comfortable seats; the large sunroof. Sure-footed in dirt, rain and snow. fuel economy.

LATCH in the middle back seat; the car seat cannot be placed in the middle according the owner's manual. With a car seat in the rear, the pass seat is very forward position. Synchronized Reverse: sometimes getting into R can be hard, it could just be the short shifter. The lack of Bluetooth.

Best yet
By Third timer

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Outback wagon and is the best so far. It rides and handles wonderfully and I actually get better mileage than the EPA sticker indicated.

Handling, ride, fuel economy

Should offer an upgrade for towing