Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Solid choice
By Spec

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

You'll be hard-pressed to find a family-sized wagon in this price range that has a decent reliability record. I opted for the Outback because of its very smooth ride and generous cargo space compared to similarly-priced SUVs. I have not been disappointed. Enjoyable to drive. City mileage for me (~17) is a little disappointing, but highway mileage (~29) has been a pleasant surprise. I wish at times it had a little more power, but in most cases it is more than adequate.

Favorite Features

Displays and controls are very ergonomic. Excellent A/C & heating system. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats could have more legroom. LCD on display limited to 8 characters with no scrolling--which is very disappointing when using satellite or MP3s (even the cheapest units can do this). Add a fifth gear for auto transmission.

Too Small
By Unhappy Outback

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This Subaru does well in snow, is somewhat fun to drive, and gets good mileage. However, the interior is too small. There just is not enough leg room. When you look at the specs, it appears there should be plenty of leg room, but the seats are at an odd height or something so the numbers are very misleading. I'm actually thinking about selling this thing since I don't have enough leg room up front with a 4 yr old in the back!

Favorite Features

AWD works great in these, its a Subaru! They got the ground clearance right too. If you want a good snow car, this is it.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room. This thing would be my dream if it just had some more room. The way it is, I don't know if I can continue to own it.

Loud Car
By Joe

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Car is very LOUD at first start-up (cold after sitting overnight). Called Subaru about this. Said this is normal for 2.5i PZEV vehicle? I mean LOUD. It does quiet down after it warms up. When I went for test drive the car had been warmed up by dealer. Same thing when I went to pick-up car from dealer after purchase. I think that they were trying to hide this from me. I was told that only 2 valves are working at a cold start in order to heat up the catalytic converter faster to achieve the partial zero emission vehicle claim? Sounds like a class action suit in the making for premature engine wear in about 2 or 3 years. I would not have bought this car had I known this.

Favorite Features

Style, car looks great. Car rides great. Gas mileage about 26 to 28 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Quiet this car down at cold start. Sounds like a truck.

Time Will Tell
By Walter

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 crew cab. I no longer need the truck to go into the woods. Several friends have Subarus. They always talk highly of them. I traded my truck in and got this vehicle. At first I wasn't pleased. It is a vehicle that takes time to get used to. I just went to NYC with my vehicle. I got 33 mpg, 27 mpg in the city. If you obey the speed limits you will get very good mileage. If you need to "punch it" when driving, it is very slow to respond. The back seat isn't made for adults. I do like the dash board display. If you need to replace 1 tire, then you need to replace all 4 of them because of the symmetrical awd. Thats something they don't tell you when you buy the car.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is excellent for a AWD. Living in Maine the AWD will be a very good feature.

Suggested Improvements

I sure would like to see a 5 speed AT.

Love this car
By soldonsuby

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way this car does what it does. Traded out of 1/2 ton full size pick up. I am very impressed w/ interior design, layout and comfort. I have big feet so the pedals could all use some more spacing but is not a problem. I like the aux audio jack but wonder why its hidden the console compartment. This does make it easy to "hide" what you have plugged into it. Hmm. The engine power is adequate and fuel economy is great for AWD vehicle of this size. Handling and ride comfort are excellent. Note on the cruise control... would like to tap the accel/decel buttons a number of times and have the speed change the corresponding number of MPH.

Favorite Features

AWD, aux audio input, ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of annoying seat belt buzzer and make cruise control operate properly.