Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Saved my life
By Ralph

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is designed for driving in Maine. It handles superbly in winter conditions. The low roof makes it perfect for hauling kayaks. My avg gas mileage was always 25+ in mixed driving. Last week we were in an accident in which the car rolled 1 1/4 times. My wife and I walked away with scrapes, bruises and a stiff neck. Of course we were wearing our seatbelts. The car was totaled. I'm looking for another Outback to replace it.

Those heated seats are fast! AWD is great in snow and ice.

Wish the tailgate was designed to open more fully when there's something like kayaks or lumber on the roof. Better cup holder would be nice.

Great Utility Vehicle
By Radar1

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a comfortable and well performing car. I use it to tow my pop-up camper and kayaks and it's one of the few 4 cylinder cars with a high enough tow rating to do this. The AWD comes in handy in some state parks when trying to maneuver in campsites and gives a solid feeling while driving in heavy rain and snow. My gas mileage is higher than the EPA numbers which makes me happy. The load floor is long enough to swallow a lot of cargo for our family visits.

Wagon utility, tow rating, style, AWD

More leg room in rear seats, better cup holder location.

Disappointed
By ashecnc

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had the car one year, kept having a burning smell that dealer couldn't fix. Deal pedal had a cheap plastic button holding that and the carpet down, and mine had a horrible squeak. Took to dealer 4 times, no fix. Had lots of rattles, and the car seemed weak, no power. I made a bad decision when I got this car, and traded it in.

Rattles Be Gone!
By Jim D

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my OB LTD w/VDC on 4/30/08 and the car was plagued with various rattles coming from several different places. I was totally unhappy with the vehicle. I'm happy to say almost a year into owning the vehicle, all the rattles have stopped. Now the vehicle rides like a new car should - tight and quiet. So now I'm happy with the purchase and I enjoy driving the vehicle. Maybe the "bugs" had to be worked out.

Design and styling of the vehicle. I'm absolutely hooked on the AWD. No more worries about winter driving.

None right now.

Mexican big rig or PZEV OB?
By Betty

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Subaru. My past 2 cars were Toyotas. I thought I'd give the OB a try. First complaint is the shockingly LOUD "engine" warm up due to the PZEV. It sound like a big rig truck from Mexico! I have started to notice quite a few rattles in the passenger compartment. It inconsistently shifts on hill climbs. But, the biggest concern is the "clunk" from the rear end or transmission at slower speeds. It is at the dealer now, but I'm told they were unable to reproduce the "clunk." At 5,000 miles, a car should be a pleasure, not a concern!! Regretting my purchase!! Going back to my trusty Toyotas!!

Heated leather seats, exterior body style, AWD, decent MPG

Less interior rattles, fix transmission issues, needs more power under the hood, better r-arm rest, needs usable compartment storage