2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Glad I bought it!!
By Outback on 04/28/08 20:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car! Did a lot of research before I bought it. I used to have a BMW 328i; driving my new Outback reminds me of the BMW. Great steering and braking. Like the 5 star safety rateing too, I feel very safe and protected.I also like that I can tow my popup camper. I plan to keep this car a long time and feel it will last as long as I want to keep it. Will diffiently recommend a Subaru to anyone who is looking to buy a car.!

Back to Subaru
By David Smith on 04/26/08 11:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my fourth Subaru Outback. For the last 4 years I drove a Volvo S60. The Volvo was a great car but had no clearance and was very expensive to maintain. I was excited to get back into a Subaru. I did have a problem with a tire when the valve stem came out while adding air pressure. The first dealership could not replace the original stem (did not have the part) and charged me for a replacement. It took a second dealership to get it right under warranty. I am also experiencing an electrical problem, the radio display and wipers will cut out randomly. They are always working when I take the car in so to date the problem has not been fixed.

Great find!
By Lee2706 on 04/23/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 1995 Legacy wagon that aspired to be an Outback. Years later, I bought the car I always wanted! My big feet took some getting used to in the footbox, not to say that it is cramped, but pedals are closer than my Honda. I am no WRC racer, but I do like how easy the clutch engages and shifting action feels great. Is surprisingly responsive when passing, especially for a four banger that is a bit heavy in the hips. Excited for the snow and rain, I'd like to see how the AWD handles it. Mileage is better than expected, 27+ in 50/50 city/hwy (as long as the dash computer is correct).

Great Value, Reasonable Compromises
By mj on 04/16/08 06:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We've had the Subie for about four months now. I am very happy with it. The lackluster acceleration is noticeable, but the trade-off is very good fuel economy with standard fuel (25-29 mpg), I suspect the tranny largely to blame for the slow feeling to the car, and a fifth gear would help mpgs too! The stereo is quite weak, and there is no rest for my elbows on either side when driving this car. That said, the car has generally been delightful. Coming from Volvos I am impressed with the comfort of the driver seat the value (half the price of the XC70) safety gas mileage and reliability. I'd strongly recomend this car-but realize that there are compromises made for mpg & low price.

Versatile and Fun
By socalh2oskier on 04/13/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my fourth Subie. I have owned all sorts of cars, from a Mazda Miata to a Mercedes CLK AMG, Mercedes SL, Jaguar XK, Jaguar XJ8, Lexus and several others. Subaru is one of my all time favorites, especially the Outback. This is a reasonably quick, versatile car with reliability second to none. This is truly one of the most comfortable vehicles you would ever want for a long trip. The ride is quiet and smooth, and gas mileage is suprisingly decent. I average about 17-20 in city driving, with 26-30 highway. Handling is much better than most SUVs, the driving position is high with excellent visibility and it has character. Great value.

Replacement for 2001 L.L. Bean
By Old Soldier on 04/11/08 17:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Many improvements over the 2001 L.L. Bean we drove for 160,000 miles. Has more than adequate power on the road. Find traveling to be very comfortable.

A pocketworth
By alston on 04/09/08 19:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Don't plan on the Subaru folks going out of their way to provide amenities. I have never seen a car with so few compartments for storage. No open area exists to put down your house keys, so I stick mine in the very small ashtray. There is a useless added-cost armrest which makes one lose more storage space. The lighting is red for night driving, so I feel like I'm on the late shift at a nuclear power plant. There are no night lights for the glove compartment or to find the "Door Unlock" lever. The cupholders cannot be taken out for cleaning and are not too versatile. The wind noise is better than in my last car, a Forester, which was very noisy. Outside visibility good.

First Subaru
By Stan Thompson on 04/07/08 21:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like the combination of great looks (dark gray), good economy (23.5 mpg 70% city while driving briskly) and the comfort of the interior. Absolutely zero problems in 19,725 miles. Love the extra large moonroof and the AC copes easily with Phoenix summers. The car is everything I was expecting and more.

A really fun car to drive!
By sm1335 on 04/05/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car replaced a 2001 Nissan Maxima. We got the manual with turbo and VDC. It is such a fun car to drive! It handles great and when you kick in the turbo you pass cars so quickly the drivers mouths are open. Could that be a Subaru wagon? I like the firm ride and tight handling. If you don't like really "driving" your car, buy a Honda Accord.

None better at this price
By Eastharlemboy on 03/30/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First 4500 miles impressions: good handling, comfortable, quiet, decent stereo, sufficient (not great) power, averaging 28 MPG. For around $21K - $22K I believe this car is a bargain compared to other all wheel drive vehicles.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.