2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Pleased new Subie groupie
By Frmr SUV ownr on 06/17/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Previously owned a Ford Explorer so skeptical about power of 4cyl but you can't have it all and I have been pleasantly surprised with performance/gas mileage. Getting 20city/29 hwy and it's plenty zippy for that king of economy. Brakes a bit unresponsive/long braking distance, taking getting used to but drove in the Carolina mountains and handled like a dream.

Satisfied
By Ted on 06/15/08 19:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Outback for 6 months and have put over 8000 miles on it. Initial impression of quality is good. I bought the car due to its safety features, additional room for my family, and reputation for quality. I haven't been let down. My only real gripe about the car is the lack of horsepower. This car could really use an extra 20 hp. Not a big deal since I'm not out to win any races. However, the car is slightly under-powered in my opinion.

Pleasantly Impressed
By Rick Drewyour on 06/14/08 08:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. For a utilitarian vehicle, it rides better than my Honda Accord. It handles great and I really like all the safety features. Easy exit/entry with the higer ground clearance. Sunroof is noisy when only wing is opened. Mileage is 25 mixed and 30 on the highway. Good looks and sporty feel.

Best Bang For Your Buck!
By GF on 06/09/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Needed a 4 door wagon due to the new addition to my family. So I test drove an Audi A4 Avant (2.0T and 3.2 versions) and the Subaru Outback 3.0R was on par with the Audi Avant 3.2. Went with Subaru and saved $14K over the Audi. Also, plan to do a lot of outdoor family stuff (biking, camping, etc) so the additional ride height with the Outback made sense. I still have yet to open it up cause it's still in the break-in period, but this an excellent overall value. This car feels like I'm still driving my BMW. Subaru got this Outback right. Can't go wrong with Japanese build quality and a German driving feel at a Japanese price tag.

The vehicle I was looking for
By Ken Myers on 05/30/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced gas-guzzler 3/4-ton ’05 Chevy pickup with the ’08 Outback. My requirements; better mpg, able to pull motorcycle and its trailer, high ground clearance w/ 4-WD or AWD to traverse the 2-track to my cabin in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, handle winter snow, carry my radio-controlled planes and R/C equipment, ease of front seat access for my 85- year-old mother. Went to test drive an ’09 Forester and while waiting saw the Blue/Silver Metallic ’08 Outback and changed the test drive! The test drive, on poorly maintained paved roads, felt comfortable, and has proven so. There is a very solid feel between the car and the road. Good value. Better than a SUV for me. I like it a lot so far.

Great Alaska Car
By Kenny on 05/28/08 16:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

So far so good. Wish it had better gas mileage, but I knew what I would get before I bought it, just did not know how much gas prices would rise.

Great all-purpose vehicle
By DenverGuy on 05/21/08 14:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We looked at a number of small SUVs and wagons and went with the Outback for a number of reasons: comfort, MPG, and functionality. The other small SUVs did not ride well and seemed cheaply made (including Toyota and Honda). The ride quality in a wagon is way better and does everything I need it to do. MPG (28 hwy, 22mpg city) has been better than advertised, which is rare. Great resale in Colorado and low operating costs. Only 500 miles on it so far so I can't comment on long term reliability.

Happy Outback owner
By happy Outback owner on 05/19/08 15:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback 2.5i 5-speed manual for about 6000 miles, and I'm very happy with it. It gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, handles well, deals with lousy weather very well, has plenty of room, and looks great. My mileage has averaged 25.4 mpg overall since I bought it, with a low of 22.2 mpg and a high of 30.3 mpg. That's good for an AWD vehicle. With the 5-speed manual it feels lively and energetic, and the manual transmission shifts very easily. It's a great all-around vehicle that can handle pretty much anything thrown at it and do it very well. It's a practical car that's enjoyable to drive.

Best Wagon for $30K
By VDC_Scooby on 05/06/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

The Outback handles great in every day driving around town or on the highway. Steering is light and responsive. The Outback's 3.0R engine delivers plenty of refined power with a hint of growl. The transmission delivers that power unobtrusively. I normally leave SI drive in Intelligent mode but when necessary "sport sharp" mode (S#) provides that extra punch. The Outback's raised ride height means more suspension travel (take that speed bumps!) and it has a smooth ride over rough surfaces. I think the Outback looks the part of a luxury wagon. The interior is upscale and comparable to my 2004 Passat. The materials feel substantial and fit and finish are excellent. Braking is very sure.

Growing family needs AWD
By newdad101 on 05/03/08 08:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It was tough to trade in my boy car (WRX) for a wagon, but that's what kids will do to a guy. But with the XT, one does not have to sacrifice some fun! Not quite as much fun as an audi s4 wagon or bmw 335xi wagon, but a good 'total' package.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.