2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Wins the competition but I'd like better
By dusanmal on 08/18/08 14:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

As the title implies we got the car simply because no one does better in this category. Not because we are completely happy with it. We have had long and good experience with 2002 model. Quality apparently still holds. Gas mileage is somewhat better than sticker EPA estimate. Performance is appropriate for the purpose. Comfort is good and slightly better vs. 2002. Design is clean and appropriate for the CAR Wagon, what it should be (Subaru, please remove it from the SUV ranks). Minor ergonomic design errors (location of handbrake and pedals). Major utility design errors (wheels, cargo space).

A Happy Subie owner
By A Happy Subie owner on 08/16/08 17:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely fell in love with this vehicle after I saw quite a few on the road driving around. After doing my research and going to this website (www.edmunds.com) and Subaru's website, reading all of the great comments people had on this particular vehicle, I was sold. I got the sport package with the heated seats and the heated mirrors. I think the heated seats will help me in those cold winter early mornings to work when i have to clear the sidewalks at a school where i work at.

Outback rattles!
By Outback rattles! on 08/03/08 08:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has way too many rattles, ticks and squeaks. It's driving me crazy and this is unacceptable for such a new car. The rattles started one week after my purchase. I've been a big fan of Subaru for years but not sure I'd buy another one after this experience. If you're thinking of buying one, definitely rent one for a couple days first. A new car should be quiet for the first few years. The car looks good but kind of too small for a family. Black leather interior is hot hot hot in the summer months. The huge sunroof is cool. The fat leather wrapped wheel feels nice in the hands.

Lovin the Outback
By anythngbutGM on 08/01/08 09:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We just purchased an 08' Outback 2.5i Limited with the LL Bean package, navi, and VDC. We really like this car. The 2.5 base motor is plenty powerful around town where it sees most of it's activity, and after it's first fill up we can proudly report 28 mpg. The seats are outstanding, the build quality is as good as a Lexus and the huge panoramic roof is awesome! Also, Subaru safety along with the excellent AWD system should help us weather the New England winters with ease. Seriously, if you are looking to buy something like a RAV4, CRV, or Forester, give the Outback a try. It is well worth your time.

Good car but it ticks!
By Jim D on 07/25/08 12:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subarus and this is my 4th one. Overall I'm very happy with the car. Love the huge sunroof and leather. Comfortable quiet highway ride. But, from somewhere in the rear cargo area there's a tick type of a rattle and it ruining an otherwise good car. It started one week after I drove it off the lot. Still trying to find it. Sometimes the sunroof rattles - not all the time. Usually after hitting a big bump in the road, this sets all the ticks and rattles going. Kind of frustrating for such a new car. If you own one, make sure you set the SRS on the stereo to on. It makes a huge difference in the sound quality.

2008 Outback
By France on 07/22/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Subaru I've purchased. My last one was a 2002 Outback which I found comfortable to drive. I've owned my 2008 for about 2 months and am looking to get rid of it. I started getting back pain within a week. There isn't enough foot room between the brake and gas pedals to place your foot comfortably on the gas pedal. In my 2002, the passenger side didn't have enough leg space. Now the 2008 does, but at the expense of the driver side.

Very nice car-- get the 5 spd XT!
By georg on 07/20/08 16:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our second Outback 2.5 5spd. Our first qas a 2006 Limited 2.5 5 spd that had a persistent air conditioner interior leak that we rolled over in at 45 mph and walked away fine. We replaced it with our current vehicle because it has the VDC. This Outback is great; the fit and finish is perfect. The XT should be purchased with the 5spd; the power of the engine in Sport# and the delayed shifting is a great experience.

Best yet
By Third timer on 07/01/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Outback wagon and is the best so far. It rides and handles wonderfully and I actually get better mileage than the EPA sticker indicated.

PZEV & rough starts
By Ed on 06/25/08 08:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For those of you considering the PZEV option you should be aware that when started cold some Subaru's will produce excesive vibration, engine and exhaust noise. This is due to changes the ECU makes to the timing to quickly heat the exhaust catalyst to reduce emission gasses. Once warm, the car starts smoothly as you would expect. The sales rep asked us to wait in the showroom while he brought the car around for test drives so I didn't discover this characteristic until I started the car the morning after purchasing it. Otherwise the car does exactly what I expected and I'm pleased with it.

Transmission is Plague
By designer on 06/22/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2006 Outback sport with the larger version. Nice upgrade and significant price increase. I liked the AWD and style of the 08. Car handles great. Constant problem since I have owned the car is the transmission. It has been fixed twice, the third time the shop could not "duplicate it" Going in again tomorrow. The transmission shifts hard and clunks, feels like it is slipping. It was really bad the first 2 times. Now it does it under 40 MPH in city traffic. It's driving me nuts, litterally!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.