Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

It is what it is
By thebigv21

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in a Ridgeline for this vehicle. Couldn't pass up the price. It came certified bumper to bumper for 100K and only had 4K miles on it. Didn't really desire a 5 spd but I do like making the 4 cyl shift when I want it to shift. It has plenty of power. I average 25-26 mpg on about 60/40 highway/city driving. Had to purchase 4 tires because it wouldn't go in the snow. Unusual for a subaru. Why would they put high performance tires on a base wagon sold in the Northeast? Car is nothing special, but it does what it is meant to do. Good second vehicle for going back and forth to work

Favorite Features

Mpg decent. Warranty. Paid for satellite receiver..Seems dependable. Just got a recall though on a "reprogram for the catylic converter".

Suggested Improvements

I notice condensation in the windows during humid weather. Do not put high performance tires on an AWD vehicle sold in the northeast. Clutch pedal needs moved to the left

Our 2208 Ru is a Little Tight
By Barry

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We had a 1998 Ru Outback that we gave to our son and bought our 2008 Ru in July of 2007. The Ru rides great, has good mileage, 25MPG around town, it also looks great. Our Ru has been very reliable. Only problems so far has been a power steering arm that was leaking when we bought the car new. That was replaced under warranty. We have had an intermittent rattle under the car, especially when cold. Took it to two different Subaru dealers and they could not duplicate the problem. Went to our Subaru dealer in Flagstaff and they finally found the problem, something about the catalytic converter which will be replaced under warranty.

Favorite Features

Great ride, once you are in the seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

My wife loved the 1998 Ru so much she did not test drive the 2008. It is much smaller inside than our old RU. Little leg room in the back. I cannot get my knees under the steering wheel when the tilt is fully raised and the seat lowered. There is more room now with later models.

My first & last Subaru
By davidmovahedi

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned at least 7 brand new cars in the past 15 years; Will not buy a Subaru again. My car is less than 2 years old & only has 8000 miles on it, the rattling noise while driving is very disturbing and annoying. I read the same feedback from another owner too. And when you fist turn on the engine, for the first 3 minutes, it sounds like a diesel truck! Is this because the engine is tilted 90 degrees and there's no oil around the pistons going side to side? Very disappointed, not to mention that there is hardly any room in the back! I will definitely stay away from Subarus. This was a worse experience than my last new car (Nissan Sentra 2.0).

Great Wagon
By eonrac

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned this 2.5i for 2 years without any problems. Bought new and has only been to dealer for maintenance checks (oil change, tire rotation). Fun to drive. Back seat passengers are a little cramped, though front seats are very comfortable. Mileage is better than EPA. Gets at at least 20mpg in town and 29 on the highway. Cargo area is wide and long. Have hauled a Hoosier cabinet and a large entertainment center. Would be nice if hidden side storage compartment doors would stay on (only thing on OB that is flimsy). Love my Outback. Best decision ever made! My OB 2.5i is a PZEV and it is not loud. In fact, my neighbors call it the stealth car because it is so quiet.

Favorite Features

Power seats Up/down & back/forth. Adjustable steering wheel. Input jack for B'berry, iPod. Heated seat. Tight handling. Cargo size.

Suggested Improvements

Foot rest for driver's left foot (Prius has this). Auxiliary jack closer to stereo. Cargo nets don't hold & improve hidden storage doors.

The best all round vehicle ever
By Dreister

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Outback Turbo XT with manual transmission for just over a year, and I must say that I've found the perfect match! I love how I can change the driving style by a click of the button, if I want to accelerate off a red light like Andretti, I can by flipping the S# button, and boy do you feel that power! If I want to take it easy on a longer drive or in traffic and conserve gas, flip it to I and I can rest at ease knowing my car is doing its best to conserve energy. The fact that the clearance on my Outback beats most large SUV's is phenomenal for a car this size. I've gone off- roading in Big Bend and I've been able to go down trails Explorers couldn't dream of tackling.

Favorite Features

Very large sun/moon roof (almost makes you feel like it's a convertible!), Plush interior while maintaining its utilitarian characteristics of an off-road vehicle. My dog loves the cargo area!

Suggested Improvements

Increase the leg room for the back seat passengers.