Used 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Gotta love my 2008 Outback
By Dr. Bob

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently traded cars with my wife. She got the 2007 Lexus ES 350 and I got the 2008 Subaru Outback LL Bean--I won the trade. (OK, we both think we won.) My loves: I (a 6' guy) love the front seating and the views through the windows. I love the solid, absolutely confident feel that the car will go exactly where I point it. I really like the gas mileage. This is a 6 cylinder car, I average 26.1 miles and get 29.4 on the highway driving at a steady 72 mph. The seat fits me like a glove, I love this front seat. Lastly, I love the cargo capacity. You cannot possibly fill this car up. My wishes: I would love brighter headlights and a bigger back seat.

The Transmission?
By seamus fogarty

This is our 4th Subaru, 99 ,04 Legasc, 05, and 2008 llbean 6 cyl, , generally good all around, except for the transmission, it keeps, shunting, the gears, as all the other were smooth, feels like a driver with a standard shift, jerking the clutch, this is very disturbing, I had the 30,000, mile service last week, and to-day had to take it back to valley motors, that service cost $ 544. And that was fine, except that the transmission, issue was not resolved, now I am waiting for a call from valley motors, one other thing with the service/engineers, or lack of, the handbrake was adjusted so tight, that one had to be a mr Atlas to pull it up .

I came back to Subaru!
By Tammy P

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After having Mazda buy back my 1st CX 7 and now finally getting out from under and trading in my 2nd CX 7 with many problems, my 08 Subaru XT Limited is GREAT. I get 23 miles to the gallon and yes it takes premium but what would you expect when buying a turbo? I drove home in a snowstorm and the car handled like a dream, unlike the car I traded in. I don't know why I didn't stay with Subaru. I would definitely recommend if you are looking for an AWD buy a Subaru!

Turbo has great pick up, AWD is phenomenal, Love the huge moon roof

Only problems are wind noises & whistles from mirrors

Disappointment
By Don B.

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Annoying things with this car. The power window makes a scraping noise when it rains. Poor gas mileage after ecm reprogramming for wvm23 recall. Seat belt doesn't retract quickly and gets stuck in door jam. Serious safety issue, Passenger air bag stays off with passenger in seat. This has been "repaired" 4 times still not working right.

Shiftable automatic trans.

Manual override for air bag.

2008 Outback Is Frustrating
By Bill R

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We traded in a 2004 Outback for a 2008,and have been disappointed by poor mileage, need for premium gas, and the worst nav system logic ever invented (partly designed by lawyers, I assume!). The nav system won't even let the passenger set a new destination while underway, it has such inane logic. The seat heater controls require you to look down at the aft end of the center console, a major distraction.

Handling and front seats, body style

Scrape the factory nav system, use a Garmin! Eliminate the need for premium gas and improve the mileage. Move the seat heater controls to the forward field of view