2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Saved my life
By Ralph on 05/20/09 10:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is designed for driving in Maine. It handles superbly in winter conditions. The low roof makes it perfect for hauling kayaks. My avg gas mileage was always 25+ in mixed driving. Last week we were in an accident in which the car rolled 1 1/4 times. My wife and I walked away with scrapes, bruises and a stiff neck. Of course we were wearing our seatbelts. The car was totaled. I'm looking for another Outback to replace it.

Great Utility Vehicle
By Radar1 on 03/24/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a comfortable and well performing car. I use it to tow my pop-up camper and kayaks and it's one of the few 4 cylinder cars with a high enough tow rating to do this. The AWD comes in handy in some state parks when trying to maneuver in campsites and gives a solid feeling while driving in heavy rain and snow. My gas mileage is higher than the EPA numbers which makes me happy. The load floor is long enough to swallow a lot of cargo for our family visits.

Disappointed
By ashecnc on 03/01/09 17:04 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had the car one year, kept having a burning smell that dealer couldn't fix. Deal pedal had a cheap plastic button holding that and the carpet down, and mine had a horrible squeak. Took to dealer 4 times, no fix. Had lots of rattles, and the car seemed weak, no power. I made a bad decision when I got this car, and traded it in.

Rattles Be Gone!
By Jim D on 02/02/09 17:49 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my OB LTD w/VDC on 4/30/08 and the car was plagued with various rattles coming from several different places. I was totally unhappy with the vehicle. I'm happy to say almost a year into owning the vehicle, all the rattles have stopped. Now the vehicle rides like a new car should - tight and quiet. So now I'm happy with the purchase and I enjoy driving the vehicle. Maybe the "bugs" had to be worked out.

Mexican big rig or PZEV OB?
By Betty on 11/20/08 22:46 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Subaru. My past 2 cars were Toyotas. I thought I'd give the OB a try. First complaint is the shockingly LOUD "engine" warm up due to the PZEV. It sound like a big rig truck from Mexico! I have started to notice quite a few rattles in the passenger compartment. It inconsistently shifts on hill climbs. But, the biggest concern is the "clunk" from the rear end or transmission at slower speeds. It is at the dealer now, but I'm told they were unable to reproduce the "clunk." At 5,000 miles, a car should be a pleasure, not a concern!! Regretting my purchase!! Going back to my trusty Toyotas!!

Solid choice
By Spec on 11/12/08 14:24 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

You'll be hard-pressed to find a family-sized wagon in this price range that has a decent reliability record. I opted for the Outback because of its very smooth ride and generous cargo space compared to similarly-priced SUVs. I have not been disappointed. Enjoyable to drive. City mileage for me (~17) is a little disappointing, but highway mileage (~29) has been a pleasant surprise. I wish at times it had a little more power, but in most cases it is more than adequate.

Too Small
By Unhappy Outback on 11/10/08 19:50 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This Subaru does well in snow, is somewhat fun to drive, and gets good mileage. However, the interior is too small. There just is not enough leg room. When you look at the specs, it appears there should be plenty of leg room, but the seats are at an odd height or something so the numbers are very misleading. I'm actually thinking about selling this thing since I don't have enough leg room up front with a 4 yr old in the back!

Loud Car
By Joe on 11/02/08 16:51 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Car is very LOUD at first start-up (cold after sitting overnight). Called Subaru about this. Said this is normal for 2.5i PZEV vehicle? I mean LOUD. It does quiet down after it warms up. When I went for test drive the car had been warmed up by dealer. Same thing when I went to pick-up car from dealer after purchase. I think that they were trying to hide this from me. I was told that only 2 valves are working at a cold start in order to heat up the catalytic converter faster to achieve the partial zero emission vehicle claim? Sounds like a class action suit in the making for premature engine wear in about 2 or 3 years. I would not have bought this car had I known this.

Time Will Tell
By Walter on 10/02/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 crew cab. I no longer need the truck to go into the woods. Several friends have Subarus. They always talk highly of them. I traded my truck in and got this vehicle. At first I wasn't pleased. It is a vehicle that takes time to get used to. I just went to NYC with my vehicle. I got 33 mpg, 27 mpg in the city. If you obey the speed limits you will get very good mileage. If you need to "punch it" when driving, it is very slow to respond. The back seat isn't made for adults. I do like the dash board display. If you need to replace 1 tire, then you need to replace all 4 of them because of the symmetrical awd. Thats something they don't tell you when you buy the car.

Love this car
By soldonsuby on 09/07/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way this car does what it does. Traded out of 1/2 ton full size pick up. I am very impressed w/ interior design, layout and comfort. I have big feet so the pedals could all use some more spacing but is not a problem. I like the aux audio jack but wonder why its hidden the console compartment. This does make it easy to "hide" what you have plugged into it. Hmm. The engine power is adequate and fuel economy is great for AWD vehicle of this size. Handling and ride comfort are excellent. Note on the cruise control... would like to tap the accel/decel buttons a number of times and have the speed change the corresponding number of MPH.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.