Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Poor craftsmanship
By minevem

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our car new 3 years ago. Although not a head turner, it looked sturdy and had better gas mileage than a SUV. Some standard features a plus. Steady on the road and safe in snow/rain. Poor built quality... Cheap cabin materials. The engine went out at 38000 miles and it took 2 weeks to repair shorted cable in the engine block... I was very disappointed with it this week - took it to the dealer to have the heat shield repaired - not covered by warranty, although the dealer said every Outback gets this problem at our mileage (49000). Door handle broke - not covered. The handle actually fell out...

All wheel drive, roomy.

Better built quality. A bit more power would be a plus. I would not buy another subaru... As soon as my extended warranty is over, will trade it in.

Needs to be bigger and stronger...
By nek_md

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the Subie for its safety and reliability. I did not do my homework on the performance of the vehicle, nor on its interior space.

The engine is adequate, but the 4AT is a lousy transmission. The car works too hard to find the right gear, and kick-down's are frequent and blatant when the engine is working hard.

The rear seat was woefully inadequate for accommodating a standard infant seat without pushing the corresponding passenger seat up all the way. This led us to trade in the vehicle.

The car was reliable while we had it. No complaints there. The paint quality was thin and there were rattles in the dash that shouldn't have been there for a young car.

Safety, reliability, and AWD traction (especially with snow tires in place).

Ditch the 4-AT. The newer Outbacks hopefully have more rear-seat legroom.

Great car! Fun to drive. Great performer
By 2008XT

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is one of the best cars I have ever driven. The performance of a sports car in a functional everyday vehicle. We need to purchase another vehicle which will be another Outback, but I am not happy that Subaru stopped making the XT model. If you own one and would like be able to buy another one, call Subaru and complain. If enough of us do, maybe they will bring the XT back. In the meantime I guess I'm stuck with the 6 cyl.

Great performance, even though it needs premium gas. Very easy to buy (when you still made the model) only options were color and nav. system.

Bring the XT model back! The zip of the turbo motor is much more fun to drive than the 6 cyl. The turbo motor is available in the Legacy, which is the same chassis, put the turbo motor back in the Outback.

Gotta love my 2008 Outback
By Dr. Bob

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently traded cars with my wife. She got the 2007 Lexus ES 350 and I got the 2008 Subaru Outback LL Bean--I won the trade. (OK, we both think we won.) My loves: I (a 6' guy) love the front seating and the views through the windows. I love the solid, absolutely confident feel that the car will go exactly where I point it. I really like the gas mileage. This is a 6 cylinder car, I average 26.1 miles and get 29.4 on the highway driving at a steady 72 mph. The seat fits me like a glove, I love this front seat. Lastly, I love the cargo capacity. You cannot possibly fill this car up. My wishes: I would love brighter headlights and a bigger back seat.

The Transmission?
By seamus fogarty

This is our 4th Subaru, 99 ,04 Legasc, 05, and 2008 llbean 6 cyl, , generally good all around, except for the transmission, it keeps, shunting, the gears, as all the other were smooth, feels like a driver with a standard shift, jerking the clutch, this is very disturbing, I had the 30,000, mile service last week, and to-day had to take it back to valley motors, that service cost $ 544. And that was fine, except that the transmission, issue was not resolved, now I am waiting for a call from valley motors, one other thing with the service/engineers, or lack of, the handbrake was adjusted so tight, that one had to be a mr Atlas to pull it up .