Used 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

First Subaru
By Stan Thompson

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like the combination of great looks (dark gray), good economy (23.5 mpg 70% city while driving briskly) and the comfort of the interior. Absolutely zero problems in 19,725 miles. Love the extra large moonroof and the AC copes easily with Phoenix summers. The car is everything I was expecting and more.

Favorite Features

Comfort, ease of entry (not too high), reliability, responsive and surefooted handling, good visibility and all round practicality. At this price point the sound system is a pleasant surprise.

Suggested Improvements

Very much needs at least one more gear in the A/T to assist the engine to stay in its power band, especially when climbing long grades. Car bottoms at the rear with five adults and luggage on board much more than it should. A proper coin holder would be a nice plus. A bit more leg room in back.

Shudda kept my Beloved Baja
By Ray

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a very nice 03 Subaru Baja and stayed with Subaru because of the splendid 5+ years experience I had with my Baja. In general, the Outback looks just fine and the Limited model has a nicely appointed and comfortable interior. However, the MPG on the outback is not very impressive Ö 24.2 hwy (recent trip) and something under 20 around a very rural town. When compared to my Baja at 29 hwy and 24 town, Iím loosing almost 82 miles per tank on the hwy (worth $11.00+/tank at todays prices and subject to increase in the future). All in all, really wish I had kept my beloved Baja.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive and overall utility of the vehicle (seating room/comfort, towing capacity, rear storage capacity, etc.) is excellent. Very cool, very large sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Ride is too firm, almost harsh. Maybe because of the recommended 33/lb air in tires. Low beam headlights are also odd. Some sort of height limiter on the beam, which is a real nuisance on darker rural, hilly roads. Can drastically reduce the length of road illuminated in front of you. Mileage!

Disappointed
By Outback

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my 2002 Outback! My second Subaru is at the opposite end of that scale. This 2008 is like a tunafish can in comparison. Very uncomfortable. Seat does not go that far back and is uncomfortable for a 5'8" driver. Ride is rough, Gas mileage is only 22-23 mpg, (expected more.)Tires are small. Overall, very disappointed and will never buy another Subaru. How could a car change for the worse, so quickly? Can't wait to get rid of it!!!

Favorite Features

Red lights on the dash

Suggested Improvements

Comfort and qualities (like leather, noise level, and smoother ride) be similiar to 2002 Outback.

Love It!
By miss_m

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my Outback. I wanted a station wagon but few auto makers have them. It basically came down to a Subaru Outback or a Mercedes station wagon. I opted for the Subaru, which seemed far more practical and easier to maintain.

Favorite Features

XL sunroof and iPod jack (AUX jack)

Suggested Improvements

Make the back seat a bit larger. Once you install a child's car seat the front passenger loses a bit of leg room.

Nice Change For Us
By Andy S

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is our first Subaru and we're very favorably impressed. The car is quiet and handles very well both on the road and in the field when we're taking feed to the run-in sheds. Fuel mileage is great for a full time all wheel drive vehicle. Safety and reliability were key factors in selecting a Subaru. These cars are legendary in both areas and their strong, cult like customer loyalty reflects it.

Favorite Features

We like the big two piece moon roof and the solid, comfortable feel of the car. It gives you a strong sense of security and the moon roof lets in plenty of light and air when you want it.

Suggested Improvements

Make deep tinted windows and moon roof standard on every wagon. People travel with pets and small children and they need dark windows to help cool the car. A little more horsepower or torque would be nice but not at the expense of fuel mileage.