Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Glad I bought it!!
By Outback

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car! Did a lot of research before I bought it. I used to have a BMW 328i; driving my new Outback reminds me of the BMW. Great steering and braking. Like the 5 star safety rateing too, I feel very safe and protected.I also like that I can tow my popup camper. I plan to keep this car a long time and feel it will last as long as I want to keep it. Will diffiently recommend a Subaru to anyone who is looking to buy a car.!

Favorite Features

I really like how the car manuvers and brakes. I also like the cargo space. The seats take some getting use to, snug fit. After driving a 1990 4Runner for so long, I love the better gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I would like the side view merrows to be larger for a better blind spot visibility. Transmission seems to have a hesitation/lull to it, could be smoother.

Back to Subaru
By David Smith

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my fourth Subaru Outback. For the last 4 years I drove a Volvo S60. The Volvo was a great car but had no clearance and was very expensive to maintain. I was excited to get back into a Subaru. I did have a problem with a tire when the valve stem came out while adding air pressure. The first dealership could not replace the original stem (did not have the part) and charged me for a replacement. It took a second dealership to get it right under warranty. I am also experiencing an electrical problem, the radio display and wipers will cut out randomly. They are always working when I take the car in so to date the problem has not been fixed.

Favorite Features

Great ride and comfortable seats. The turbo option is wonderful and I would not do without this feature in any future purchase. Controls are easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

The storage space is the big drawback. Very difficult to use the side space on the door unless you have extremely small hands. You have to reach back to get into center counsel which is difficult to do when driving. You also have to turn the steering wheel in order to lock it. Requires practice.

Great find!
By Lee2706

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 1995 Legacy wagon that aspired to be an Outback. Years later, I bought the car I always wanted! My big feet took some getting used to in the footbox, not to say that it is cramped, but pedals are closer than my Honda. I am no WRC racer, but I do like how easy the clutch engages and shifting action feels great. Is surprisingly responsive when passing, especially for a four banger that is a bit heavy in the hips. Excited for the snow and rain, I'd like to see how the AWD handles it. Mileage is better than expected, 27+ in 50/50 city/hwy (as long as the dash computer is correct).

Favorite Features

Rear storage options, fold down rears, supportive seats, seat warmers, shifting action and clutch, 5M rocks! Stereo has hidden Aux port and plays MP3 discs. Overall compact for having similar height clearance as behemoth SUVs. Sedan-like drive with utility characteristics. 12V socket in cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Dumb ashtray, is now a messy change cup. Shallow glovebox, fits manual and little else. Center armrest ext'n (option) blocks one cup holder when up. Need stereo controls on wheel for basic model, not just the 6CD changer model of the Limited and beyond. More 5MTs through model line.

Great Value, Reasonable Compromises
By mj

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We've had the Subie for about four months now. I am very happy with it. The lackluster acceleration is noticeable, but the trade-off is very good fuel economy with standard fuel (25-29 mpg), I suspect the tranny largely to blame for the slow feeling to the car, and a fifth gear would help mpgs too! The stereo is quite weak, and there is no rest for my elbows on either side when driving this car. That said, the car has generally been delightful. Coming from Volvos I am impressed with the comfort of the driver seat the value (half the price of the XC70) safety gas mileage and reliability. I'd strongly recomend this car-but realize that there are compromises made for mpg & low price.

Favorite Features

Power heated driver seat, handling, quietness, ride, MPG!!, looks, safety, interior design, terrific in all weather conditions (much better than our Volvo XC70 which is AWD) so far reliability has been perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Better armrests (both sides), better stereo, passenger seat much too low on the floor and not height adjustable, why can't I get a sunroof without getting leather? I miss the full power up & down on the power window motors, and finally that damned key with fob built-in is huge & annoying in my pocket

Versatile and Fun
By socalh2oskier

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my fourth Subie. I have owned all sorts of cars, from a Mazda Miata to a Mercedes CLK AMG, Mercedes SL, Jaguar XK, Jaguar XJ8, Lexus and several others. Subaru is one of my all time favorites, especially the Outback. This is a reasonably quick, versatile car with reliability second to none. This is truly one of the most comfortable vehicles you would ever want for a long trip. The ride is quiet and smooth, and gas mileage is suprisingly decent. I average about 17-20 in city driving, with 26-30 highway. Handling is much better than most SUVs, the driving position is high with excellent visibility and it has character. Great value.

Favorite Features

Highway ride. Simple and easy to use controls, nice interior, sturdy look. And if you get the 5 speed manual, the car outright flies!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could improve, especially at $4 per gallon for premium. Stereo is outdated and tinny. Nav is easy to use but is outdated and unreadable with flare present with moonroof open. Bur overall, it's a great driving machine with lots of versatility - one of my all time favorites.