2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Subaru Outback Limited with VDC
By TODD SIGLER on 09/27/07 14:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought my outback limited w/VDC about 3 weeks ago. At first, my vehicle was hesitating very badly and I took it back to the dealership where they said it was a loose #3 spark plug wire. I was not happy at this, to say the least. However, since the spark plug has been adjusted 2 weeks ago, my vehicle has been performing very well. My ride is much smoother than most vehicles I've been in; I don't feel bumps in the road as much as other vehicles. The AWD is wonderful in handling a lot of turns as I live in West Virginia.

Transmission blown at 4,200 miles
By John Kasperowicz on 09/18/07 07:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many Subaru models in the past years. This new 2008 Outback will be my last. The transmission blew out at 4,200 miles and left me stranded. I think that the new transmission selection of different modes might have contributed to failure. This new feature is more of a gimmick than a useful option. Ride of car is not good, very jarring over small potholes or minor dips in road. Way too much road noise. Leather quality of seat not very good for 32k car. Overall, car is not worth the money and quality of parts and the interior is lower than previous models.

Stability Control Requires Leather Seats
By ruddyduck67 on 09/13/07 18:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Best midsize value on the market. I wanted stability control as an extra safety measure but was kind of annoyed that this requires a whole host of non-safety oriented upgrades like leather seats and a moonroof (which is actually very nice). The other wagons in the lineup require premium fuel!? Yeah, I wanna spend an extra 20 cents per gallon for the life of the car. Anyway, it is a very nice driving car, very tight for a wagon, and can carry anything when considering the interior and the roofrack. One more thing about the roofrack, take off your crossbars when not in use. That little effort will take 5 minutes and can save you on mileage.

Utility meets Luxury and Reliablitity
By FXOFFROAD on 08/24/07 17:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a blast to drive. Mileage is good and the sport shift truly rises to the occasion. Hard to believe this is 4 banger that cost under 30,000 for the 2.5i Limited. I trade a 2003 Ford F250 so it was a dramatic change, but definitely for the best. Test drove Honda CRV, Ford Edge, Escape & Explorer, Audi wagons. But for the value, the Outback was truly the best choice. Extremely satisfied. Taken up to the Colorado Rocky Mountains often and its performs extremely well. Compared to my 07 Lexus ES, this vehicle is truly a great value for its outstanding build quality, AWD, and economy.

Basis model beats Rav4 in smackdown
By Lk Superior north sh on 08/19/07 14:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had great Mazda3 but couldn't sleep with winter coming, spent two weeks checking out Rav4 options. Then drove the Suby, game over. Rav4 has +7ft cargo, +800lbs towing, and losses on at least a dozen other comps. This is a classy ride, I don't need speed. It's got all the winter things Toyota charges extra for. Better ride than either Base Rav or Rav Sport. 4AT has 3 modes, what else could I need? The basic climate and audio systems are a good trade off for heated 8 way power seats and true AWD.

Second review after 3 months
By gtskier on 08/05/07 21:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great fun to drive. Mileage is better than expected, 24 mpg in SI Drive - "S" mode driving up and down canyon 5400 to 9200 feet on weekly shopping trips and local mountain driving daily. Handles great on curves, highways, dirt. One exception: factory Bridgestone tires squirm excessively on grooved pavement. Road noise is a bit high, but crank up the great stereo with SRS-WOW, MP3 CD and jack. Can't wait to see the VDC work on snow and ice this winter.

Ranch Mom Liking 08 OB
By Ranch Mom on 06/23/07 15:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 3 years of researching I decided it was time to downsize from my Ford Excursion. I love my Excursion, but couldn't stomach the cost of driving it any longer. Even though the Subaru is a world apart from my "bus", I am getting used to the small size. The Ltd's fit and finish compared to other crossover vehicles was far superior. It is smooth to drive and after two tanks I've averaged 28 mpg in mixed driving. I'm 6 foot tall and with the much loved sunroof, the head room is tight and the leg room is adequate, while the backseat's leg room is snug for adults. I enjoyed driving the XT but with the premium fuel requirement and decreased mpg I couldn't justify it.

Do Everything
By Ron Boller on 05/22/07 10:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Have a 2002 WRX, wanted a vehicle with power and handling that had more room, more ground clearance and more comfort. The Outback XT fit the bill. The WRX is fun and to this point bullet proof. The Outback does not corner as well, but is a fast and much more comfortable. So far so good.

Still great cars, more fun than ever!
By gtskier on 05/21/07 20:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great vehicle, moving upscale to compete with the likes of Audi and Acura in the AWD crossover arena. Too bad they got rid of the steering wheel buttons/paddles on the limited, went to other controls for stereo and cruise. The iDrive system is cool, maps the throttle response and upshift points to economy, sport and sport sharp. If you keep it in economy, expect mixed driving mileage at about 22-23. In sport or sport# mode expect maybe 16 mpg and lots of tickets!

'08 OB Looking Good
By Outbacker on 04/27/07 07:09 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just traded in my '01 Outback for the '08 Limited model. I had doubts about buying another Outback - the last one was not much fun to drive, and there were some leaking problems after 90K. After test driving all the comparables, the Outback was the only one that fit the bill - reasonable gas mileage, good safety ratings, reliable, good roof rack for the surfboard, and can hold 25 bags of mulch in the back when needed. So far, so good. The '08 is lots more fun to drive than the '01 - the sports shift option helps. A little more power than the '01, and a generally smoother, better ride. I'm told that the leak problems have been resolved - time will tell.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.