Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Best Wagon for $30K
By VDC_Scooby

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Outback handles great in every day driving around town or on the highway. Steering is light and responsive. The Outback's 3.0R engine delivers plenty of refined power with a hint of growl. The transmission delivers that power unobtrusively. I normally leave SI drive in Intelligent mode but when necessary "sport sharp" mode (S#) provides that extra punch. The Outback's raised ride height means more suspension travel (take that speed bumps!) and it has a smooth ride over rough surfaces. I think the Outback looks the part of a luxury wagon. The interior is upscale and comparable to my 2004 Passat. The materials feel substantial and fit and finish are excellent. Braking is very sure.

Subaru's legendary AWD is clearly my favorite feature even if it seems to get little use in everyday driving. The electroluminescent gauges are another favorite. The full sweep of the gauges on startup always brings a smile to my face. The multifunction display contains copious information.

(1) driver's window controls should include both the auto down AND up functions; (2) doors should have an auto-locking feature; (3) better sound system with comprehensive satellite radio controls; (4) bring back the weatherband radio; (5) deep tinted sunroof glass; and, (6) a full size spare tire.

Growing family needs AWD
By newdad101

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It was tough to trade in my boy car (WRX) for a wagon, but that's what kids will do to a guy. But with the XT, one does not have to sacrifice some fun! Not quite as much fun as an audi s4 wagon or bmw 335xi wagon, but a good 'total' package.

Safety ratings, AWD, better clearance than most SUVs, decent handling and power. XT has very good interior trim and finish and Subaru reliability is well known.

Cannot stand wing mirror control or location. Dual zone climate control stinks compared to Audi A4 (only other wagon I compared before buying). Subaru still can't get remote key system right, poor ergonomics. Premium stereo is standard quality on most econo vehicles. Cornering performance is slushy.

Glad I bought it!!
By Outback

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car! Did a lot of research before I bought it. I used to have a BMW 328i; driving my new Outback reminds me of the BMW. Great steering and braking. Like the 5 star safety rateing too, I feel very safe and protected.I also like that I can tow my popup camper. I plan to keep this car a long time and feel it will last as long as I want to keep it. Will diffiently recommend a Subaru to anyone who is looking to buy a car.!

I really like how the car manuvers and brakes. I also like the cargo space. The seats take some getting use to, snug fit. After driving a 1990 4Runner for so long, I love the better gas mileage.

I would like the side view merrows to be larger for a better blind spot visibility. Transmission seems to have a hesitation/lull to it, could be smoother.

Back to Subaru
By David Smith

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my fourth Subaru Outback. For the last 4 years I drove a Volvo S60. The Volvo was a great car but had no clearance and was very expensive to maintain. I was excited to get back into a Subaru. I did have a problem with a tire when the valve stem came out while adding air pressure. The first dealership could not replace the original stem (did not have the part) and charged me for a replacement. It took a second dealership to get it right under warranty. I am also experiencing an electrical problem, the radio display and wipers will cut out randomly. They are always working when I take the car in so to date the problem has not been fixed.

Great ride and comfortable seats. The turbo option is wonderful and I would not do without this feature in any future purchase. Controls are easy to use.

The storage space is the big drawback. Very difficult to use the side space on the door unless you have extremely small hands. You have to reach back to get into center counsel which is difficult to do when driving. You also have to turn the steering wheel in order to lock it. Requires practice.

Great find!
By Lee2706

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 1995 Legacy wagon that aspired to be an Outback. Years later, I bought the car I always wanted! My big feet took some getting used to in the footbox, not to say that it is cramped, but pedals are closer than my Honda. I am no WRC racer, but I do like how easy the clutch engages and shifting action feels great. Is surprisingly responsive when passing, especially for a four banger that is a bit heavy in the hips. Excited for the snow and rain, I'd like to see how the AWD handles it. Mileage is better than expected, 27+ in 50/50 city/hwy (as long as the dash computer is correct).

Rear storage options, fold down rears, supportive seats, seat warmers, shifting action and clutch, 5M rocks! Stereo has hidden Aux port and plays MP3 discs. Overall compact for having similar height clearance as behemoth SUVs. Sedan-like drive with utility characteristics. 12V socket in cargo area.

Dumb ashtray, is now a messy change cup. Shallow glovebox, fits manual and little else. Center armrest ext'n (option) blocks one cup holder when up. Need stereo controls on wheel for basic model, not just the 6CD changer model of the Limited and beyond. More 5MTs through model line.